WARNING! Cantilever brakes are obsolete

Simon

Guest
According to the gimp in Halfords when I enquired as to the availability of seatpost
cantilever hangers. Interesting, one look in the window of my LBS and I see about 10 bikes
with cantilever brakes.

Weird, can all these bikes really be obsolete?

ps, I had to go to Halfords to buy a can of GT85 (Where else can I get such a ting at 7.30 in
the evening).

"Simon" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> According to the gimp in Halfords when I enquired as to the availability of seatpost
> cantilever hangers. Interesting, one look in the window of my LBS and I see about 10 bikes
> with cantilever brakes.
>
> Weird, can all these bikes really be obsolete?
>
> ps, I had to go to Halfords to buy a can of GT85 (Where else can I get such a ting at 7.30 in the
> evening).

Sorry mate, you're the only gimp!

When Halfords no longer stock a product it is listed as "Obsolete" on the computer systems. So he
didn't mean they're not available full stop, just not at halfords.

[email protected] (Al Ford) said:

>Sorry mate, you're the only gimp!
>
>When Halfords no longer stock a product it is listed as "Obsolete" on the computer systems. So he
>didn't mean they're not available full stop, just not at halfords.

Well he should have said that rather than telling the OP they were obsolete full stop. Or could it
be he didn't have the brains to make the distinction between facts and what the computer told him?

I don't think you're in any position to be accusing anyone of gimpiness, gimp-boy.

John

On Wed, 28 May 2003 22:49:00 +0100, Simon wrote:

> According to the gimp in Halfords when I enquired as to the availability of seatpost
> cantilever hangers. Interesting, one look in the window of my LBS and I see about 10 bikes
> with cantilever brakes.

Actually, it appears that cantilever brakes ARE indeed obsolete, or at least rapidly heading that
way. The other month I was stunned to discover that Alpine Bikes in Aberdeen didn't have ANY
straddle cables in stock. I've since found it impossible to get a hold of the Shimano straddles that
use a fixed length of cable on one side, and a sort of metal "button" to attach it to the main cable
which is anchored at the other canti.

I really would like a set of these, as the rear cable on my Kona doesn't pull centrally, it feeds
round the seat tube through a fantastically neat guide at the top of the seat stays; the
aforementioned style of straddle lets me adjust so that both cantilevers pull equally.

I don't want to "upgrade" to V's as I'm perfectly happy with the stopping power I have and I'm very
fond of my levers and the neat cable routing I have (only one short piece of outer for each brake).

Anyone know where I can can get these straddle cables?

AJ

No they are not, the current edition of the CTC magazine list a Shimano BR-R550 cantilever brake as
being re-introduced

Pete

On Fri, 30 May 2003 10:47:08 +0000 (UTC), Pete Whelan <[email protected]> wrote:

>No they are not, the current edition of the CTC magazine list a Shimano BR-R550 cantilever brake as
>being re-introduced

...and the Altus BR-CT90 & 91 are still listed on Shimano's website. Regards,

Puss. (Type by John, my 'human companion').

Simon wrote a title and the rest got snipped - suffice it to say that Halfords were mentioned:

Um, I saw a set of cantilever brakes for sale in Halfords in Hammersmith yesterday, and they were'nt
on special offer or anything.....

Jim Price

On Fri, 30 May 2003 10:47:08 +0000, Pete Whelan wrote:

> No they are not, the current edition of the CTC magazine list a Shimano BR-R550 cantilever brake
> as being re-introduced

This doesn't alter the fact that I was unable to obtain vital consumables for cantilever brakes at a
fairly decent LBS; they don't stock them because demand has presumably fallen to an insignificant
level. To me (and obviously to the LBS) this means that these cantilever brakes are, if not
obsolete, at the very least an obsolescent component.

I've only just got my copy of the CTC magazine - I don't suppose it mentions whether Shimano are
re-introducing the straddle cables I'm looking for?

Cheers,

AJ

> Actually, it appears that cantilever brakes ARE indeed obsolete, or at least rapidly heading that
> way. The other month I was stunned to discover that Alpine Bikes in Aberdeen didn't have ANY
> straddle cables in stock. I've since found it impossible to get a hold of the Shimano straddles
> that use a fixed length of cable on one side, and a sort of metal "button" to attach it to the
> main cable which is anchored at the other canti.

The sports shop at City of Europe, Calais (next to Eurotunnel) has a bargain basket in their
cycling section and last weekend there were about 20 Shimano straddles in there of 2or3 different
lengths. Mike