Warning: Don't use cars as work benches!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hippy, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    Yes, all the money I "saved" at the bike swap meet disappeared soon after...

    While fixing up a road bike I'm selling to a mate, I plonk my headset spanner and "rather large"
    shifter on the back of gf's ute..

    Looking for the shifter later today, after gf had left, I come to the horrible conclusion that my
    shifter and headset spanner are now lying on the road somewhere within a 45min drive from home!

    DON'T LEAVE TOOLS ON CARS! :-(

    I rode for an hour along the path she took but no luck.. if anyone finds these tools between Croydon
    and Dandenong, give me a yell! :)

    hippy mumble stupid grumble smelly cars.. grrr

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Could of been far far worse, a close family member once drove off with wallet on the Datsuns roof, in the days when salaries came in cash, neatly folded into a envelope.......the wallet had one of these envelopes in it.....

  3. Ray

    Ray Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]&amp says...
    > Could of been far far worse, a close family member once drove off with wallet on the Datsuns roof,
    > in the days when salaries came in cash, neatly folded into a envelope.......the wallet had one of
    > these envelopes in it.....

    A few years ago when we drove across the Nullarbor, we stopped at Border Village (WA border) and
    found the fuel cap resting against the roof rack.

    Fuel cap was removed only 200+km earlier at Nullarbor Roadhouse....

    Now that was pure chance. We even pulled off the bitumen a couple of times to check out the cliffs!

    Cheers Ray

  4. Liz

    Liz Guest

    One rainy night I put down my backpack on top of the gearsack on my motorbike while I put on my wet
    weather gear. Rode home, realised my backpack wasn't on my back. Rode back to work, thinking I'd
    left it in the office. Not there. Panic. Went back out to the bike to ride to a police station to
    report it missing, and there it still was sitting on top of the gearsack! (Don't ask me why I didn't
    put the backpack IN the gearsack. I don't remember, it was too long ago.) Liz

    "hippy" <[email protected]PAMbigpond.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Yes, all the money I "saved" at the bike swap meet disappeared soon after...
    >
    > While fixing up a road bike I'm selling to a mate, I plonk my headset spanner and "rather large"
    > shifter on the back of gf's ute..
    >
    > Looking for the shifter later today, after gf had left, I come to the horrible conclusion that my
    > shifter and headset spanner are now lying on the road somewhere within a 45min drive from home!
    >
    > DON'T LEAVE TOOLS ON CARS! :-(
    >
    > I rode for an hour along the path she took but no luck.. if anyone finds these tools between
    > Croydon and Dandenong, give me a yell! :)
    >
    > hippy mumble stupid grumble smelly cars.. grrr

  5. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    Brother-in-law drove off and heard a clunking sound. Looking out the rear view mirror, he was bits
    of his mobile phone following him down the road - silly bugger left it on the car roof.

    --
    Alan Erskine alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

    Iraq, America's new Vietnam

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]&spam.com.vic> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Could of been far far worse, a close family member once drove off with wallet on the Datsuns roof,
    > in the days when salaries came in cash, neatly folded into a envelope.......the wallet had one of
    > these envelopes in it.....
    >

    > --

  6. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Brother-in-law drove off and heard a clunking sound. Looking out the
    rear
    > view mirror, he was bits of his mobile phone following him down the
    road -
    > silly bugger left it on the car roof.

    I did that too once. Put my mobile on the bumper while loading the boot, telling myself "haha funny
    if you forgot that - don't leave it there.." 10 minutes down the road I have this flash of
    realisation and swing the car around. Luckily, I had started the car on a hill and the mobile had
    just slipped off the back right where I left from.

    hippy IQ = 165, oh wait, sorry, that's 16.5...

  7. Calm

    Calm Guest

    Wow! ...you have a gf ?!!

    --------------------

    hippy wrote:

    > Yes, all the money I "saved" at the bike swap meet disappeared soon after...
    >
    > While fixing up a road bike I'm selling to a mate, I plonk my headset spanner and "rather large"
    > shifter on the back of gf's ute..
    >
    > Looking for the shifter later today, after gf had left, I come to the horrible conclusion that my
    > shifter and headset spanner are now lying on the road somewhere within a 45min drive from home!

    (snipped)

  8. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

  9. And she drives a ute?!?!? ;o)
    ---
    DFM

    On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 01:08:51 GMT, calm <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Wow! ...you have a gf ?!!
    >
    >--------------------
    >
    >hippy wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes, all the money I "saved" at the bike swap meet disappeared soon after...
    >>
    >> While fixing up a road bike I'm selling to a mate, I plonk my headset spanner and "rather large"
    >> shifter on the back of gf's ute..
    >>
    >> Looking for the shifter later today, after gf had left, I come to the horrible conclusion that my
    >> shifter and headset spanner are now lying on the road somewhere within a 45min drive from home!
    >>
    >(snipped)

  10. its_stuart

    its_stuart New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2003
    Smoke less pot man and you'll remember to put your tools away :)

  11. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Deep Freud Moors" <[email protected]!l.nu> wrote in message
    > And she drives a ute?!?!? ;o)

    A black, Holden ute with mags to be precise...

    hippy ;-)

  12. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "its_stuart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Smoke less pot man and you'll remember to put your tools away :)

    If you smoke and wrench... you're a bloody idiot!

    hippy "no, really officer.. to-m-a-to plants..."

  13. I've done that too. Only it was in my underseat bag on my pushy which somehow unzipped. I was doing
    a V max run (57kph) when I looked down and noticed that hey, there's a phone just like mine. Shit
    it IS mine.

    --
    Cheers Damian Harvey

    www.mazzoir.textamerica.com is my moblog.

    Ha.

  14. cin

    cin New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2003
    my friends and i have only been driving for 2 years but so far a friend of mine has left a phone, her wallet, many a drink bottle,my brand new camera, another friends beauty case (the size of a tool box) and a pot of wax on my roof. the girl has the attention span of a gold fish!

  15. On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 23:55:04 GMT, "Liz" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >One rainy night I put down my backpack on top of the gearsack on my motorbike while I put on my wet
    >weather gear. Rode home, realised my backpack wasn't on my back. Rode back to work, thinking I'd
    >left it in the office. Not there. Panic. Went back out to the bike to ride to a police station to
    >report it missing, and there it still was sitting on top of the gearsack!

    I can think of two instances.

    Once, left mobile phone on top of gear sack while refuelling. Rode 3 kms home and found mobile still
    sitting on gear sack.

    Second, my ex and I drove in the car for about 4 blocks - plenty of turns, stop signs and giving way
    - until we were stopped at a set of lights. The car beside us tooted the horn and pointed to the top
    of the car. Ex got out and quickly retrieved half full coffee cup sitting on the roof - where she'd
    left it when she jumped into the car back home.

    ---
    Cheers

    PeterC

    [Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
    [and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

  16. Calm

    Calm Guest

    I've been meaning to get me one of those. About a 1965 model, thin, aerodynamic, lightweight. I've
    seen them around, you can occasionally see them on bikes, but not often. I sometimes think that ppl
    dont take them out once they get them.. ...they just keep them at home.

    So have mounted yours on your bike yet?

    ---------------

    hippy wrote:

    > "calm" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Wow! ...you have a gf ?!!
    >
    > Yes. Disappointed?
    >
    > hippy

  17. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "calm" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've been meaning to get me one of those. About a 1965 model, thin, aerodynamic, lightweight. I've
    > seen them around, you can occasionally see them on bikes, but not
    often.
    > I sometimes think that ppl dont take them out once they get them.. ...they just keep them at home.
    >
    > So have mounted yours on your bike yet?

    Not yet.. the seat tends to get in the way...

    What ARE you talking about? :-S

    hippy

  18. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    LOL!!!
    A good year, a good model, I've got one of these at home.
    *waving* toyouknowwhoatwork.:p :p :p

  19. Balthasar

    Balthasar Guest

    cin <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > my friends and i have only been driving for 2 years but so far a friend of mine has left a phone,
    > her wallet, many a drink bottle,my brand new camera, another friends beauty case (the size of a
    > tool box) and a pot of wax on my roof. the girl has the attention span of a gold fish!

    A guy here (in Germany) left a suitcase on his car roof with 100 000 Euros in it. After driving on
    to the Autobahn the suitcase fell on to the road, the money blowing everywhere. Other drivers
    naturally stopped and took what they could find. The driver only recovered about 3000 Euros.

    Balthasar

  20. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]&spam.com.vic> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Calm wrote:
    > > I've been meaning to get me one of those. About a 1965 model,
    thin,
    > > aerodynamic, lightweight. I've seen them around, you can
    occasionally
    > > see them on bikes, but not often. I sometimes think that ppl dont
    take
    > > them out once they get them.. ...they just keep them at home.
    >
    > LOL!!! A good year, a good model, I've got one of these at home. *waving*
    > toyouknowwhoatwork.:p :p :p

    Time for me to go and cry in the corner, waiting for the class 'nice person' to explain the joke :p

    hippy