WARNING ON ATKINS DIET

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Dr. Jai Maharaj, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. Warning on Atkins diet

    By Rosemary Desmond THE AGE Monday, March 15, 2004

    The Australian Medical Association (AMA) has thrown its
    weight behind a campaign warning people of the dangers of
    the low-carbohydrate, high-fat Atkins Diet.

    AMA federal president Dr Bill Glasson said other states
    should follow the lead of Victoria in alerting people about
    the potential harm the diet could cause.

    "We'll be supporting the move by Victoria and the other
    states who feel the evidence we have about the diet cannot
    be substantiated," Dr Glasson said today.

    "It's important we do get information out through our
    general practices, and our GPs, as well as through general
    public education and public health units around the states."

    The Victorian government will today unveil a taxpayer funded
    campaign aimed at convincing people to give up the high-
    protein, low-carbohydrate Atkins diet and other 'fad diets'.

    The Victorian state government planned to to give out
    posters and information booklets at gyms, doctors' waiting
    rooms and universities.

    New York doctor Robert Atkins pioneered his controversial
    diet more than 30 years ago.

    He died last April, aged 72, after slipping and falling on
    ice as he walked to work.

    Dr Atkins was obese, weighing 117kg and suffering a history
    of heart attacks, congestive heart failure and hypertension.

    His widow Veronica Atkins was reportedly seeking legal
    action, including suing the City of New York, over the
    release of medical records.

    The Atkins Physicians Council in New York, said Atkins'
    medical records showed his heart problems were related to
    cardiomyopathy, probably due to a virus.

    Queensland AMA president Dr David Molloy said he did not
    recommend the old Atkins Diet in its purest form, but a low-
    starch diet with a good mixture of polyunsaturated fats was
    a healthy choice for weight loss and long-term weight
    management.

    Dr Molloy said the Queensland government would be better off
    spending taxpayers' funds on other health needs than on
    issuing warnings against the old Atkins Diet.

    "As far as public health campaigns are concerned, I'd prefer
    to see the money spent on more urgent needs such as aged
    care beds or rehabilitation services or fluoridation." - AAP

    More at: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/03/15/10791-
    99143293.html

    Jai Maharaj http://www.mantra.com/jai Om Shanti

    Panchaang for 25 Phalgun 5104, Monday, March 15, 2004:

    Shubhanu Nama Samvatsare Uttarayane Moksh Ritau Meena
    Mase Krshn Pakshe Indu Vasara Yuktayam Poorvashadh-
    Uttarashadh Nakshatr Variyan-Parigh Yog Vanij-Vishti
    Karan Dashami Yam Tithau

    Hindu Holocaust Museum http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

    Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy
    http://www.hindu.org http://www.hindunet.org

    The truth about Islam and Muslims
    http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

    o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used
    for the educational purposes of research and open
    discussion. The contents of this post may not have
    been authored by, and do not necessarily represent
    the opinion of the poster. The contents are protected
    by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of
    copyrighted works. o If you send private e-mail to
    me, it will likely not be read, considered or
    answered if it does not contain your full legal name,
    current e-mail and postal addresses, and live-voice
    telephone number. o Posted for information and
    discussion. Views expressed by others are not
    necessarily those of the poster.

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (Dr. Jai Maharaj) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Warning on Atkins diet

    Hey, Johnny, can you tell me where you bought your
    doctorate from? It sounds very impressive having "Dr" in
    front of your name. The last time I met you, you were a
    high school drop-out.

  3. "Dr. Jai Maharaj" wrote:

    > Warning on Atkins diet
    >
    > By Rosemary Desmond THE AGE Monday, March 15, 2004
    >
    > The Australian Medical Association (AMA) has thrown its
    > weight behind a campaign warning people of the dangers of
    > the low-carbohydrate, high-fat Atkins Diet.
    >
    > AMA federal president Dr Bill Glasson said other states
    > should follow the lead of Victoria in alerting people
    > about the potential harm the diet could cause.
    >
    > "We'll be supporting the move by Victoria and the other
    > states who feel the evidence we have about the diet cannot
    > be substantiated," Dr Glasson said today.
    >
    > "It's important we do get information out through our
    > general practices, and our GPs, as well as through general
    > public education and public health units around the
    > states."
    >
    > The Victorian government will today unveil a taxpayer
    > funded campaign aimed at convincing people to give up
    > the high-protein, low-carbohydrate Atkins diet and other
    > 'fad diets'.
    >
    > The Victorian state government planned to to give out
    > posters and information booklets at gyms, doctors' waiting
    > rooms and universities.
    >
    > New York doctor Robert Atkins pioneered his controversial
    > diet more than 30 years ago.
    >
    > He died last April, aged 72, after slipping and falling on
    > ice as he walked to work.
    >
    > Dr Atkins was obese, weighing 117kg and suffering a
    > history of heart attacks, congestive heart failure and
    > hypertension.

    Would wonder about the source of this information. Is this
    from Dr. Atkins' medical records?

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

    **
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?J2DB148A7

    Is this spam?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

  4. Tonyp

    Tonyp Guest

    2 points, assuming the information is true

    1. He died from an *acciden't* at a not unreasonably young
    age. Who knows how long he'd have lived till otherwise.
    Ice is slippery stuff.

    2. Whose to say he was following his own diet?.

    "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Dr. Jai Maharaj" wrote:
    >
    > > Warning on Atkins diet
    > >
    > > By Rosemary Desmond THE AGE Monday, March 15, 2004
    > >
    > > The Australian Medical Association (AMA) has thrown its
    > > weight behind a campaign warning people of the dangers
    > > of the low-carbohydrate, high-fat Atkins Diet.

    ---8<---

    > > New York doctor Robert Atkins pioneered his
    > > controversial diet more than 30 years ago.
    > >
    > > He died last April, aged 72, after slipping and falling
    > > on ice as he walked to work.
    > >
    > > Dr Atkins was obese, weighing 117kg and suffering a
    > > history of heart attacks, congestive heart failure and
    > > hypertension.
    >
    > Would wonder about the source of this information. Is this
    > from Dr.
    Atkins'

    --
    Cheers,
    Tony.

    Instructions from a packet of chinese "Self-mucosity Mat"s

    Application
    1) Attached to woody floor marble surface or the bottom of furniture, she
    can lessen friction and noise and defend scratch.
    2)Attached to the base of TV, soundbox DVD, phone, computer, flatbottomed
    bottle and cabinet and so on,she can mitigate tremble,defend slide,decrease
    noise and prolong their uselife.
    3)She is more suitably applied to the root of heavy that is frequently moved

    Caution
    1)Be careful to peel mount off. Don't take mat and glue apart.
    2)Avoid touching glue cover, or glue will lose his mucosity.
    3)If there is some displacement,she can go on using after replacement.