Warning! stupid question inside.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jason B, Jun 5, 2003.

  1. Jason B

    Jason B Guest

    will a 700c tire (or tyre to all those on the other side of the pond) fit a 27" wheel?

    Tags:

  2. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Jason B wrote:
    > will a 700c tire (or tyre to all those on the other side of the pond) fit a 27" wheel?

    Short answer - no.

    Long answer (because its late here, and I have to stay up until two in the morning): If you bought
    one from my local Asda (or Wallmart to all those on the other other side of the pond) about four
    weeks ago it would, but that was just mislabelling. But it was only 1.24 uk pounds (less than two of
    your dollars, I believe, unless you are Canadian).

    Diameter of 700c rim: 622mm Diameter of 27"x 1 1/4 rim: 630mm

    I would suggest it might require some serious stretching, or failing that just cut 4mm all the way
    around the inside. Then throw away that tyre and get a 630mm one. Oh, and a new wheel if you went
    overboard on the stretching.

    Jim Price

  3. Jason B

    Jason B Guest

    Jim Price wrote:
    > Jason B wrote:
    >
    >> will a 700c tire (or tyre to all those on the other side of the pond) fit a 27" wheel?
    >

    > Short answer - no.
    >
    ><snipage> just cut 4mm all the way around the inside. Then throw away that tyre and get a 630mm
    >one. Oh, and a new wheel if you went overboard on the stretching.
    >
    > Jim Price

    Hmmm, cuting 4mm all the way around sounds tempting, but I think I'll just return the tire to the
    LBS, smack the sales guy for selling it to me (he had the original wheel in his hand when he pulled
    out the 700c tire) and get a 27". Thanks