Warning! to Paul Saunders!

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Gordon, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    BEWARE!

    I just received an email faked to appear to come from Paul's address with a payload!

    I didn't check which one, but Norton picked it up and quarantined it.

    :-(
    --
    Gordon

    Tags:

  2. Gordon wrote:

    > I just received an email faked to appear to come from Paul's address with a payload!
    >
    > I didn't check which one, but Norton picked it up and quarantined it.

    Thanks for the heads up.

    I received an email earlier telling me that an email I'd sent (from my wilderness address) was
    infected with a virus and hadn't been delivered.

    I sent no such email. My machine is not infected and I'm not sending out viruses.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

  3. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    > > I just received an email faked to appear to come from Paul's address with a payload!
    > >
    > > I didn't check which one, but Norton picked it up and quarantined it.
    >
    > Thanks for the heads up.
    >
    > I received an email earlier telling me that an email I'd sent (from my wilderness address) was
    > infected with a virus and hadn't been delivered.
    >
    > I sent no such email. My machine is not infected and I'm not sending out viruses.

    Same here! Had these warnings for at least 4 days! I've never sent any Email with an attachment
    containing a virus. Plus my computers are clean also.

    Just ignore and delete IMO.

    --
    Craven Birds

    Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks. http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
    http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

  4. Reid

    Reid Guest

    Following up to Gordon

    >I just received an email faked to appear to come from Paul's address with a payload!

    Its this navaad virus or whatever its called. Paul, did you send me an email called Emerson, Lake
    and Palmer? I suspect not. I have been getting lots of infected email "from" organisations I deal
    with, they are not the sort of places that would not be running protection, so i'm not sure how the
    virus writer made the connection between me and them?
    --
    Mike Reid Virtual Thames walk "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk/thamesphoto.htm"

  5. Bernard Hill

    Bernard Hill Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Paul Saunders <[email protected]> writes
    >Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> I just received an email faked to appear to come from Paul's address with a payload!
    >>
    >> I didn't check which one, but Norton picked it up and quarantined it.
    >
    >Thanks for the heads up.
    >
    >I received an email earlier telling me that an email I'd sent (from my wilderness address) was
    >infected with a virus and hadn't been delivered.
    >
    >I sent no such email. My machine is not infected and I'm not sending out viruses.
    >
    >Paul
    >--

    I get bouncebacks like that all the time telling me I'm spamming viruses. It's a consequence of your
    email being public, it's put on as the originator address.

    I've even been blacklisted by some addresses and had to write to the webmaster at the company
    concerned.

    I've even got a spam message to me, from .... me.

    In my mind this is worse than spam, it's making me out to be a spammer and that's bad for business
    because many people don't know that the "from" field is easy to forge.

    Bernard Hill Braeburn Software http://www.braeburn.co.uk Selkirk, Scotland

  6. Bernard Hill

    Bernard Hill Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Reid <[email protected]> writes
    >Following up to Gordon
    >
    >>I just received an email faked to appear to come from Paul's address with a payload!
    >
    >Its this navaad virus or whatever its called. Paul, did you send me an email called Emerson, Lake
    >and Palmer? I suspect not. I have been getting lots of infected email "from" organisations I deal
    >with, they are not the sort of places that would not be running protection, so i'm not sure how the
    >virus writer made the connection between me and them?

    Someone has both addresses on their machine is one possibility.

    Bernard Hill Selkirk, Scotland

  7. Aushiker

    Aushiker Guest

  8. Paul Saunders wrote

    > My machine is not infected and I'm not sending out viruses.

    Dead bounces like this happen because the spammers have to populate the 'From' field in the email
    with a valid email domain address to get through Mail Transfer Agents that are RFC821 compliant. The
    'To' field is populated with a target address which may or may not be valid. If it is invalid then
    the mail bounces back to the 'From' address. This makes it seem that you are getting returned mail
    from mail you never sent.

    Chris

  9. Aushiker

    Aushiker Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 18:17:43 +0800, Aushiker <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:59:50 +0000, Gordon <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>BEWARE!
    >>
    >>I just received an email faked to appear to come from Paul's address with a payload!
    >
    >This sounds like the MyDoom virus or a variant. Fakes the from address. Full details at http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA04-
    >028A.html

    or probably a better link is http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/alerts/SA04-028A.html

    Andrew

    http://aushiker.com - Aushiker: Hiking in Western Australia 2003 Bibbulmun Track End to Ender
    President, Perth Bushwalkers Club - http://www.perthbushwalkers.asn.au

  10. Bernard Hill wrote:

    > I've even been blacklisted by some addresses and had to write to the webmaster at the company
    > concerned.

    I sent out one email recently and it was returned, saying that IP address had been put in a
    blackhole, whatever that means.

    > I've even got a spam message to me, from .... me.

    I've had quite a few of those.

    > In my mind this is worse than spam, it's making me out to be a spammer and that's bad for business
    > because many people don't know that the "from" field is easy to forge.

    Yes, I agree, but paradoxically, the more this sort of thing happens the more of a problem it will
    become and hopefully the more likely some action will be taken to deal with it.

    I've never agreed with the idea of policing the internet in the past, but things are getting out of
    hand with spam and viruses these days. Something needs to be done about it before the internet
    grinds to a halt, choking on the sheer quantity of garbage going through the system.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

  11. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    "Jiffy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ok, what's happening here is that person A's PC is infected. Now, the
    virus
    > on A's computer sends out copies of itself to everyone on A's address
    book.
    > The sneaky bit is that the virus will put a name in the address book as
    the
    > sender. So, B receives an infected email that looks like it's from C but
    is
    > really from A. Hope that makes sense.
    >
    > Cheers, Jiffy

    That makes sense;-) Better still, I'd prefer people to use a bit of sense and not open attachments
    that they are not 100% sure are safe. Easy really unless prats do it to cause an hindrance!

    I cannot understand all this cr*p talked about viruses!

    --
    Craven Birds

    Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks. http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
    http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

  12. Richard Webb

    Richard Webb Guest

    Remember a lot of viruses fake send headers... I got plagued during one outbreak by irate
    bounces......

    Richard Webb

  13. Harbinger

    Harbinger Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 01:00:46 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks for the heads up.
    >
    >I received an email earlier telling me that an email I'd sent (from my wilderness address) was
    >infected with a virus and hadn't been delivered.
    >
    >I sent no such email. My machine is not infected and I'm not sending out viruses.

    It is probably someone that you know that is infected, the vrus scans the address book and picks out
    a name to appear in the from field, it then proagates itself.

    The worst one I have had, was when someone spammaed a load of people using me in the from line. My
    how I laughed as thousands of undeliverable e-mail 'came back to me'. No complaints or flames
    though, whic is not what I would have expected.

    --

    Please take the piss out of deemon when sending an e-mail.

  14. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Paul Saunders <[email protected]> wrote
    >Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> I just received an email faked to appear to come from Paul's address with a payload!
    >>
    >> I didn't check which one, but Norton picked it up and quarantined it.
    >
    >Thanks for the heads up.
    >
    >I received an email earlier telling me that an email I'd sent (from my wilderness address) was
    >infected with a virus and hadn't been delivered.
    >
    >I sent no such email. My machine is not infected and I'm not sending out viruses.
    >
    >Paul

    There's a lot of it about! :-(

    I had an email from a guy I have known since we first got out ham licences back in '63, and who has
    sent the odd joke or novelty in the past. I opened one a couple of weeks ago and got Bbeagle!

    Got rid of it and cleaned up the register file into which it plonks a couple of H_KEY lines.
    --
    Gordon

  15. Craven Birds wrote:

    > That makes sense;-) Better still, I'd prefer people to use a bit of sense and not open attachments
    > that they are not 100% sure are safe.

    Easy for knowlegeable computer users to say. It's the newbies who aren't aware of these things, and
    there are lots of them about.

    I have a friend who's had a computer for years and he still doesn't use a firewall or a virus
    checker. Whenever I mention it to him he dismisses them, saying he has no need for them.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

  16. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Paul Saunders <[email protected]> wrote
    >Craven Birds wrote:
    >
    >> That makes sense;-) Better still, I'd prefer people to use a bit of sense and not open
    >> attachments that they are not 100% sure are safe.
    >
    >Easy for knowlegeable computer users to say. It's the newbies who aren't aware of these things, and
    >there are lots of them about.
    >
    >I have a friend who's had a computer for years and he still doesn't use a firewall or a virus
    >checker. Whenever I mention it to him he dismisses them, saying he has no need for them.

    Hands up anyone who has NEVER opened an attachment from an old friend who has sent various
    attachments over the years, without checking back with them first. Yeaah, ok, not recently. ;-)
    --
    Gordon

  17. Osprey

    Osprey Guest

    "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Craven Birds wrote:
    >
    > > That makes sense;-) Better still, I'd prefer people to use a bit of sense and not open
    > > attachments that they are not 100% sure are safe.
    >
    > Easy for knowlegeable computer users to say. It's the newbies who aren't aware of these things,
    > and there are lots of them about.
    >
    > I have a friend who's had a computer for years and he still doesn't use a firewall or a virus
    > checker. Whenever I mention it to him he dismisses them, saying he has no need for them.

    Lol, A first rate Pr*t and a lot of office workers! in business. <sigh> After saying that it's the
    bl**ding IT technicians fault who maintain the systems :-(

    CB