Warning! to Paul Saunders!

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:49:53 +0000, Bernard Hill
<[email protected]> wrote:

>.doc .xls

These are safe if you don't enable macros. Mind you, I expect the default behaviour courtesy of M$
is to silently enable them :-|

In article <[email protected]>, Simon Caldwell
<[email protected]> writes
>On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:49:53 +0000, Bernard Hill <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>.doc .xls
>
>These are safe if you don't enable macros. Mind you, I expect the default behaviour courtesy of M$
>is to silently enable them :-|

It is. And I'm not sure you can disable it on all versions...

M$ do supply a normal.dot Word template on their web site to report on embedded macros and give the
option of omitting or not.

I don't know about Excel as I don't use it.

Bernard Hill Braeburn Software Selkirk, Scotland

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 17:04:23 +0000, Bernard Hill
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Simon Caldwell
><[email protected]> writes
>>On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:49:53 +0000, Bernard Hill <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>.doc .xls
>>
>>These are safe if you don't enable macros. Mind you, I expect the default behaviour courtesy of M$
>>is to silently enable them :-|
>>

>It is. And I'm not sure you can disable it on all versions...
>
>M$ do supply a normal.dot Word template on their web site to report on embedded macros and give the
>option of omitting or not.
>
>I don't know about Excel as I don't use it.
>

>Bernard Hill Braeburn Software Selkirk, Scotland

I can't remember what happens with earlier versions, but macros are automatically disabled in Word
2002 and Excel 2002, by default, unless they are from trusted sources.

--

Paul

My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

Harbinger <[email protected]> wrote
>On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:46:09 +0000, Gordon <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>Any virus checker is only as good as the latest definitions, and the only time I got caught was
>>when I was one day out of date. :-(
>>

>They are different though, I tend to run a different programme at Dos/safemode level if I see a
>problem. For example if they run Nortons I will run McAfee and vice versa.
>
>Do not rely too much on your updates, run the odd check now and again with another package (Trend,
>McAfee etc.) you might be surprised at what you find.

Paint token.
--
Gordon

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 00:07:53 -0000, "Nick Pedley"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Go on, tell us what the supposed problems are. I use Norton AV/IS 2003 on this XP machine. Of more
>interest to me would be how to stop all the junk text messages to my mobile... (3 in the last week,
>none before that).

Try downloading the Mcafee Dos based package (run in safe mode or from a 98 boot disk), I used to
swear by Nortons until I saw the way it has been behaving of late.

--

Please take the **** out of deemon when sending an e-mail.

wrote:

>Any virus checker is only as good as the latest definitions, and the only time I got caught was
>when I was one day out of date. :-(

They are different though, I tend to run a different programme at Dos/safemode level if I see a
problem. For example if they run Nortons I will run McAfee and vice versa.

Do not rely too much on your updates, run the odd check now and again with another package (Trend,
McAfee etc.) you might be surprised at what you find.

--

Please take the **** out of deemon when sending an e-mail.

Following up to Stewart Robert Hinsley

>That's a symptom of the Mydoom/Novarg virus. It takes a domain name, and prefixes it with a variety
>of christian names, in the hope of hitting additional valid addresses.

lucky me with all possible names valid :-(
--
Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Walking, Wasdale, Thames path, London
etc "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site Spain, food and walking "http://www.fell-

Following up to Paul Saunders

>> We tried to tell him that when he first raised that mad calendar idea.
>
>:)
>
>So is anyone still interested or what?

I missed it? I thought you were selling calendars of your own stuff?