warped frame ?

SniperX

Jan 29, 2003
anyone has this problem bout the positioning of the 2 bottle cages ? i notice that the vertical (centre tube) cage is slightly more towards the right then the slanting( down tube) cage... i check the cages and they re not warped does this mean my frame is warped or the positionings are meant to be like that ?

Maybe it's supposed to be like that, as the right hand side of the frame would have more leg clearance; the chainrings are between the crank and frame on that side.

hmmz thats what i tot too ... just find it a bit strange that somtimes my leg brushes onto the vertical bottle heh

I would have a guy at the shop check it out before I went screaming down any huge hills. Ever get the "speed wobbles"? If a bike isn't tuned really well you can get this sudden wild shimmy of the front wheel when the bike hits a certain de-stabilizing speed. It is just plain scary.

I was getting it a few weeks ago. As the bike approached 35 MPH I would start to lose the front wheel. I mean, that sucker was all over the place. I had a friend do some wrench work and things seem to be safely tightened up.

Get that frame looked at!

A ELEMENTARY CHECK IS TO TAKE A PIECE OF STRING AND FASTEN TO THE lEFT HAND SIDE OF YOUR REAR AXLE TAKE THE STRING AROUND YOUR HEADSET TUBE (FRONT OF THE BIKE WHERE THE FORK GOES TRHOUGH) AND TIE THE STRING TAUGHTLY TO THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE REAR AXLE. NOW MEASURE THE DISTANCE FORM THE STRING TO YOUR SEAT DOWNTUBE. THE MEASUREMENTS SHOULD BE CLOSE TO THE SAME. MANY FRAMES ARE A LITTLE BIT OUT OF TRUE (BUILT LIKE THAT .. INACCURACIES IN THE MANUFACTURING PROCESS) IF IT IS MORE THAN 3 MM START WORRYING ABOUT IT. A REPUTABLE BIKE SHOP SHOULD BE ABLE TO ADJUST AND REALIGN THE FRAME INTO PLACE. THE FRONT WHEEL WOBBLING COULD MOST LIKELY BE A SLACKLY ADJUSTED HEADSET BEARING. MAKE SURE THESE BEARINGS ARE ALWAYS WELL ADJUSTED.