Warranty issue

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Baelwulfe, Jul 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baelwulfe

Baelwulfe Guest

This week while riding my chain broke and lodged itself in my front derailleur, breaking it apart at
    the bottom. I called the LBS where I purchased it, and they told me without even seeing the bike
    that it is not a warranty issue. I have only had the bike for 2 months now is this normal, or am I
    being screwed. On another note the giant web site states that the NRS 3 comes with the rear shock
    pump, yet the LBS has told me 3 times that it does not come with the NRS 3, but all the other bikes
    in the NRS line.

as always Thanks for any help

the lost newbie

Tags:

2. "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > This week while riding my chain broke and lodged itself in my front derailleur, breaking it
    > apart at the bottom. I called the LBS where I purchased it, and they told me without even
    > seeing the bike that it is not
    a
    > warranty issue. I have only had the bike for 2 months now is this normal, or am I being
    > screwed. On another note the giant web site states that the NRS 3 comes with the rear shock
    > pump, yet the LBS has told me 3 times that it does not come with the NRS 3, but all the other
    > bikes in the NRS line.
    >
    > as always Thanks for any help
    >
    > the lost newbie
    >

From the information that you have given us we can assume:

2 months riding or 60 days x 50 miles per day = 3000 miles. I'd say that the chain was due to break.
    You should have changed it sooner.

--
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

3. Slash

Slash Guest

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:25:54 -0700, "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> scribbled:

>
    > This week while riding my chain broke and lodged itself in my front derailleur, breaking it
    > apart at the bottom. I called the LBS where I purchased it, and they told me without even
    > seeing the bike that it is not a warranty issue. I have only had the bike for 2 months now is
    > this normal, or am I being screwed. On another note the giant web site states that the NRS 3
    > comes with the rear shock pump, yet the LBS has told me 3 times that it does not come with the
    > NRS 3, but all the other bikes in the NRS line.
    >
    >as always Thanks for any help
    >
    >the lost newbie

My friend's '03 NRS3 came with a shock pump that fit both the front Pilot SL and the rear Sid Air
    shocks. Are yours different?

-Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"

- The Onion

4. Nelson Binch

Nelson Binch Guest

"Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    |
    | This week while riding my chain broke and lodged itself in my front derailleur, breaking it
    | apart at the bottom. I called the LBS where I purchased it, and they told me without even
    | seeing the bike that it is not
    a
    | warranty issue. I have only had the bike for 2 months now is this normal, or am I being
    | screwed. On another note the giant web site states that the NRS 3 comes with the rear shock
    | pump, yet the LBS has told me 3 times that it does not come with the NRS 3, but all the other
    | bikes in the NRS line.

Giant does not warranty chains (or any other "consumable" part like cables, brake pads, tires,
    tubes) so they are correct in stating that. All warranty claims are for "Factory Defects" and it
    would be difficult to show that a chain had a defect. Take the bike in anyway and see what the
    dealer can or will do for you. Put on a SRAM PC series chain and a new FD and go ride.

No NRS 3 has ever come packed with a rear shock pump and it is not listed in the dealer manual or
    the catalog. The website must be in error. Generally they don't provide these for the lowest price
    models (same thing with Fisher) and they're only around $30 for a good one.

---
    __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    http://intergalax.com

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.500 / Virus Database: 298 -
    Release Date: 7/10/2003

5. Sorni

Sorni Guest

"Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > |
    > | This week while riding my chain broke and lodged itself in my front derailleur, breaking it
    > | apart at the bottom. I called the LBS where I purchased it, and they told me without even
    > | seeing the bike that it is
    not a
    > | warranty issue. I have only had the bike for 2 months now is this
    normal,
    > | or am I being screwed.

> Giant does not warranty chains (or any other "consumable" part like
    cables,
    > brake pads, tires, tubes) so they are correct in stating that. All
    warranty
    > claims are for "Factory Defects" and it would be difficult to show that a chain had a defect. Take
    > the bike in anyway and see what the dealer can
    or
    > will do for you. Put on a SRAM PC series chain and a new FD and go ride.

But, but...I read on the Internet (so it must be true) that those chains SUCK!

Trusting Bill

(PS: I agree about seeing what dealer will do, although it sounds like he's already on "touchy"
    terms with 'em. Argument COULD be made that they didn't assemble chain correctly, leading to
    premature e-jack-u-breakage.)

6. Alan McClure

Alan McClure Guest

"Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > |
    > | This week while riding my chain broke and lodged itself in my front derailleur, breaking it
    > | apart at the bottom. I called the LBS where I purchased it, and they told me without even
    > | seeing the bike that it is
    not
    > a
    > | warranty issue. I have only had the bike for 2 months now is this
    normal,
    > | or am I being screwed. On another note the giant web site states that
    the
    > | NRS 3 comes with the rear shock pump, yet the LBS has told me 3 times
    that
    > | it does not come with the NRS 3, but all the other bikes in the NRS
    line.
    >
    > Giant does not warranty chains (or any other "consumable" part like
    cables,
    > brake pads, tires, tubes) so they are correct in stating that. All
    warranty
    > claims are for "Factory Defects" and it would be difficult to show that a chain had a defect. Take
    > the bike in anyway and see what the dealer can
    or
    > will do for you. Put on a SRAM PC series chain and a new FD and go ride.
    >
    > No NRS 3 has ever come packed with a rear shock pump and it is not listed
    in
    > the dealer manual or the catalog. The website must be in error.
    Generally
    > they don't provide these for the lowest price models (same thing with Fisher) and they're only
    > around $30 for a good one.
    >
    >
    > ---
    > __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    > http://intergalax.com
    >
    > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.500 / Virus Database: 298
    > - Release Date: 7/10/2003
    >
    >

Wouldn't you think that even if the website is mistaken about the pump, that he could contact Giant
    about the issue and get a pump from them somehow, since it is their mistake? It seems to me that if
    Giant says things come a certain way on their bikes, then they should be made somehow to follow
    through. Of course if they refuse, then what can you do--nothin I guess.

Alan

7. David Kunz

David Kunz Guest

Sorni wrote:
    > "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>"Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>|
    >>| This week while riding my chain broke and lodged itself in my front derailleur, breaking it
    >>| apart at the bottom. I called the LBS where I purchased it, and they told me without even
    >>| seeing the bike that it is
    >
    > not a
    >
    >>| warranty issue. I have only had the bike for 2 months now is this
    >
    > normal,
    >
    >>| or am I being screwed.
    >
    >
    >>Giant does not warranty chains (or any other "consumable" part like
    >
    > cables,
    >
    >>brake pads, tires, tubes) so they are correct in stating that. All
    >
    > warranty
    >
    >>claims are for "Factory Defects" and it would be difficult to show that a chain had a defect. Take
    >>the bike in anyway and see what the dealer can
    >
    > or
    >
    >>will do for you. Put on a SRAM PC series chain and a new FD and go ride.
    >
    >
    > But, but...I read on the Internet (so it must be true) that those chains SUCK!
    >
    > Trusting Bill
    >
    > (PS: I agree about seeing what dealer will do, although it sounds like he's already on "touchy"
    > terms with 'em. Argument COULD be made that they didn't assemble chain correctly, leading to
    > premature e-jack-u-breakage.)
    >

Or, the chain's defective (IMO) and since it comes with the bike, the shop's responsible.

And, take a printout of the web page to the shop and push...

David

8. Sorni

Sorni Guest

"Alan McClure" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > |
    > > | This week while riding my chain broke and lodged itself in my
    front
    > > | derailleur, breaking it apart at the bottom. I called the LBS where I purchased it, and they
    > > | told me without even seeing the bike that it is
    > not
    > > a
    > > | warranty issue. I have only had the bike for 2 months now is this
    > normal,
    > > | or am I being screwed. On another note the giant web site states that
    > the
    > > | NRS 3 comes with the rear shock pump, yet the LBS has told me 3 times
    > that
    > > | it does not come with the NRS 3, but all the other bikes in the NRS
    > line.
    > >
    > > Giant does not warranty chains (or any other "consumable" part like
    > cables,
    > > brake pads, tires, tubes) so they are correct in stating that. All
    > warranty
    > > claims are for "Factory Defects" and it would be difficult to show that
    a
    > > chain had a defect. Take the bike in anyway and see what the dealer can
    > or
    > > will do for you. Put on a SRAM PC series chain and a new FD and go
    ride.
    > >
    > > No NRS 3 has ever come packed with a rear shock pump and it is not
    listed
    > in
    > > the dealer manual or the catalog. The website must be in error.
    > Generally
    > > they don't provide these for the lowest price models (same thing with Fisher) and they're only
    > > around $30 for a good one.
    > >
    > >
    > > ---
    > > __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    > > http://intergalax.com
    > >
    > > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.500 / Virus Database:
    > > 298 - Release Date: 7/10/2003
    > >
    > >
    >
    > Wouldn't you think that even if the website is mistaken about the pump,
    that
    > he could contact Giant about the issue and get a pump from them somehow, since it is their
    > mistake? It seems to me that if Giant says things come
    a
    > certain way on their bikes, then they should be made somehow to follow through. Of course if they
    > refuse, then what can you do--nothin I guess.

Sorta like Marzocchi manuals saying "Use the M shock pump, included, to..."

Yeah, right.

Bill

9. Baelwulfe wrote:
    > seeing the bike that it is not a warranty issue. I have only had the bike for 2 months now is
    > this normal, or am I being screwed.

Chain breakage (outside of a week or two) is usually not a "covered" item. As such, the consequental
    damage would not be covered either. still any decent LBS should at least try and work with you
    towards a compromise.

> On another note the giant web site states that the NRS 3 comes with the rear shock pump, yet
    > the LBS has told me 3 times that it does not come with the NRS 3, but all the other bikes in
    > the NRS line.
    >
    > as always Thanks for any help

Bring a print out of the web-page to the LBS and show them. If they do not budge ask them to put it
    in writing, and then contact your Mfg.'s Customer Service Dept. direclty.

--
    John G. http://www.shavings.net/survival.htm

10. Alan McClure wrote:

> Wouldn't you think that even if the website is mistaken about the pump, that he could contact
    > Giant about the issue and get a pump from them somehow, since it is their mistake?

ABSOLUTELY!

> It seems to me that if Giant says things come a certain way on their bikes, then they should be
    > made somehow to follow through.

Can you say "bait and switch"?

> Of course if they refuse, then what can you do--nothin I guess.

State Attourney Genereal's office, Department of Consumer Protection.

--
    John G. http://www.shavings.net/survival.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.