Was Atkins fat--or what?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by George W. Cherr, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. Atkins Widow Demands Bloomberg Apology

    28 minutes ago

    NEW YORK - The widow of Dr. Robert Atkins went on national television Friday to demand that
    Mayor Michael Bloomberg apologize for calling the late diet guru "fat."

    Veronica Atkins told ABC's "Good Morning America" she was "sick and tired of my husband being
    always maligned and his life's work being trivialized."

    The mayor apparently thought he was off camera when he made the comment while eating pasta at
    a photo op at a firehouse earlier this week. Using an expletive to express doubts about the
    details of Atkins' death, he said Tuesday, "I mean, the guy was fat."

    Atkins, whose diet stresses meat, eggs and cheese over pasta, bread and vegetables, died last
    April at 72 from head injuries sustained from a fall on an icy sidewalk.

    Veronica Atkins asserted her husband died from "severe trauma to his head." His fall was
    unrelated to any health problems, and his arteries were clear, she said.

    "I was very, very hurt, and I was angry" about Bloomberg's remarks, she said.

    In an interview taped to air Sunday on WABC-TV of New York, Bloomberg said nobody wanted to
    hurt either of the Atkinses. When pressed on whether he would apologize, Bloomberg said,
    "Well, I don't think there is anything to apologize for when you tell a joke. I can't go
    around apologizing for every single thing."

    On Wednesday, Bloomberg told reporters that he "would never criticize someone about their
    waistline." A mayoral spokesman, Jordan Barowitz, declined to comment further Friday.

    In his firehouse remarks, Bloomberg also said the food at an Atkins fund-raiser in the
    Hamptons had been "inedible" and that he had to spit an appetizer into his napkin.

    Atkins' widow said the event's caterer was "considered to be one of the best in the Hamptons."

    Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
    broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

    Tags:

  2. Trent Duke

    Trent Duke Guest

    Well, Atkins wasn't slim either or hardly "fit."

    Now I do not know exactly why Atkins died but thing about this...

    Do you think Atkins, his doc or his beneficiary wife of his multi-million dollar business would
    actually state the truth of Atkins having heart problems and then dying due to the heart problems if
    such was the truth?

    Trent

    -- Look and Feel Great! FREE weight loss and anti-aging group. Join now @