was compact crank report, now Campy vs. FSA chainline

jim c

Guest
Well now, this discussion of chainlines and dropping the chain has
certainly put a wrinkle in my perfect plan,... or has it?

Comparing FSA K-Force Mega Exo *non compact 53-39* road crank with a
Chorus, both specs claim "chainline = 43.5mm" is this apples/apples?
does anyone (ok...does Peter) know if both cranksets place the big ring
in the same place, (43.5mm inside face to center BB) ?

different subject, I know, the FSA claims the Q-factor is 147, and I am
guessing that this outside crankarm-oustide crankarm, not sure what the
Chorus is...maybe 120? but this is more for pedal or tread width than
chain line, right?

any clarification is appreciated.

jim

Paul Kopit

Guest
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:50:28 GMT, jim c <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well now, this discussion of chainlines and dropping the chain has
>certainly put a wrinkle in my perfect plan,... or has it?
>
>Comparing FSA K-Force Mega Exo *non compact 53-39* road crank with a
>Chorus, both specs claim "chainline = 43.5mm" is this apples/apples?
>does anyone (ok...does Peter) know if both cranksets place the big ring
>in the same place, (43.5mm inside face to center BB) ?

Sheldon Brown has the method of measurement with pictures in the
chainline section of this page
<http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html>

Both the Campy and FSA doubles carry the rings the same difference
from the centerline of the frame. I recall that 43.5 mm from the
center of the frame to the space between the 2 chainrings is the
measurement.