was compact crank report, now Campy vs. FSA chainline

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jim c, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. jim c

    jim c Guest

    Well now, this discussion of chainlines and dropping the chain has
    certainly put a wrinkle in my perfect plan,... or has it?

    Comparing FSA K-Force Mega Exo *non compact 53-39* road crank with a
    Chorus, both specs claim "chainline = 43.5mm" is this apples/apples?
    does anyone (ok...does Peter) know if both cranksets place the big ring
    in the same place, (43.5mm inside face to center BB) ?

    different subject, I know, the FSA claims the Q-factor is 147, and I am
    guessing that this outside crankarm-oustide crankarm, not sure what the
    Chorus is...maybe 120? but this is more for pedal or tread width than
    chain line, right?

    any clarification is appreciated.

    jim

    Tags:

  2. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:50:28 GMT, jim c <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well now, this discussion of chainlines and dropping the chain has
    >certainly put a wrinkle in my perfect plan,... or has it?
    >
    >Comparing FSA K-Force Mega Exo *non compact 53-39* road crank with a
    >Chorus, both specs claim "chainline = 43.5mm" is this apples/apples?
    >does anyone (ok...does Peter) know if both cranksets place the big ring
    >in the same place, (43.5mm inside face to center BB) ?

    Sheldon Brown has the method of measurement with pictures in the
    chainline section of this page
    <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html>

    Both the Campy and FSA doubles carry the rings the same difference
    from the centerline of the frame. I recall that 43.5 mm from the
    center of the frame to the space between the 2 chainrings is the
    measurement.