Was I ripped

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Toochi, May 31, 2003.

  1. Toochi

    Toochi Guest

    Haya guys and gals,

    I have a question. I'm an x-enthusiast(sp) and sold my bike a while ago. After 2 years of no
    exercise I'm about to get a new bike.

    I need no help in that but I have a question. I sold my bike like I said to a shop over in the
    bellaire area (of houston) for 150 bucks and I'm wondering if I got ripped. That included everything
    I had, shoes etc. The bike was a trek 9800 with manatue (sp) spyder shocks, rapid fire shift and
    v-brakes(forgot all the names of these things). The bike had fairly new hubs. The crank was creaking
    but that's no biggie. It was a nice bike, or so I thought. This was the only place in houston that
    would buy back bikes and was told I had to get rid of it. (long story) When I showed the bike to the
    owner he turned it over and a little further up from the crank( I forgot the name but it's the thing
    that goes throught the bike to the two crank arms) he said there was a little crack. Looked like a
    chip to me but I had no choice. I put that bike togeather and those shocks were 300bucks at least
    and he gave me 150 bucks for it and that included all the xt add ons etc. I got ripped huh?

    That trek was badass, but now I need something I can ride on/offroad and comfortably. I'm not scared
    to put a bike togeather but I have a budget of under 200$ for the entire bike. Anyone know where to
    buy cheap or used parts?

    Sorry for the long rant but I miss that trek. I believed the guy about the crack at the time because
    I had a particularly hard crash which bent the front tire really bad and knocked me clean out.
    Cracked my helmet and tore a huge piece of the styrophome out also. I had heard that the carbon
    fiber frames can crack but now I look back on it and think that if it cracked it would be around the
    head (under handlebars) or under the seat right? I really don't know but I'm suspicious of that
    place now.

    Anyway, thanks for any replies.

    Tags:

  2. Tristan

    Tristan Guest

    toochi wrote:
    > Haya guys and gals,
    >
    > I have a question. I'm an x-enthusiast(sp) and sold my bike a while ago. After 2 years of no
    > exercise I'm about to get a new bike.
    >
    > I need no help in that but I have a question. I sold my bike like I said to a shop over in the
    > bellaire area (of houston) for 150 bucks and I'm wondering if I got ripped. That included
    > everything I had, shoes etc. The bike was a trek 9800 with manatue (sp) spyder shocks, rapid fire
    > shift and v-brakes(forgot all the names of these things). The bike had fairly new hubs. The crank
    > was creaking but that's no biggie. It was a nice bike, or so I thought. This was the only place in
    > houston that would buy back bikes and was told I had to get rid of it. (long story) When I showed
    > the bike to the owner he turned it over and a little further up from the crank( I forgot the name
    > but it's the thing that goes throught the bike to the two crank arms) he said there was a little
    > crack. Looked like a chip to me but I had no choice. I put that bike togeather and those shocks
    > were 300bucks at least and he gave me 150 bucks for it and that included all the xt add ons etc. I
    > got ripped huh?
    >
    > That trek was badass, but now I need something I can ride on/offroad and comfortably. I'm not
    > scared to put a bike togeather but I have a budget of under 200$ for the entire bike. Anyone know
    > where to buy cheap or used parts?
    >
    > Sorry for the long rant but I miss that trek. I believed the guy about the crack at the time
    > because I had a particularly hard crash which bent the front tire really bad and knocked me clean
    > out. Cracked my helmet and tore a huge piece of the styrophome out also. I had heard that the
    > carbon fiber frames can crack but now I look back on it and think that if it cracked it would be
    > around the head (under handlebars) or under the seat right? I really don't know but I'm suspicious
    > of that place now.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for any replies.

    I'm not sure if you got ripped or not but I do have some advice. Get the Hell out of Houston! That
    city is the most miserable place in the country.

  3. Toochi

    Toochi Guest

    somehow, deep down I know your right. I'd be out of here but I have to finish school so I have a job
    wherever I go too.

    Ho chi min trail ain't that bad though. I'm curious where your hate for houston comes from?

    "Tristan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > toochi wrote:
    > > Haya guys and gals,
    > >
    > > I have a question. I'm an x-enthusiast(sp) and sold my bike a while ago. After 2 years of no
    > > exercise I'm about to get a new bike.
    > >
    > > I need no help in that but I have a question. I sold my bike like I
    said to
    > > a shop over in the bellaire area (of houston) for 150 bucks and I'm wondering if I got ripped.
    > > That included everything I had, shoes etc.
    The
    > > bike was a trek 9800 with manatue (sp) spyder shocks, rapid fire shift
    and
    > > v-brakes(forgot all the names of these things). The bike had fairly new hubs. The crank was
    > > creaking but that's no biggie. It was a nice bike,
    or
    > > so I thought. This was the only place in houston that would buy back
    bikes
    > > and was told I had to get rid of it. (long story) When I showed the
    bike to
    > > the owner he turned it over and a little further up from the crank( I
    forgot
    > > the name but it's the thing that goes throught the bike to the two crank arms) he said there was
    > > a little crack. Looked like a chip to me but I
    had
    > > no choice. I put that bike togeather and those shocks were 300bucks at least and he gave me 150
    > > bucks for it and that included all the xt add
    ons
    > > etc. I got ripped huh?
    > >
    > > That trek was badass, but now I need something I can ride on/offroad and comfortably. I'm not
    > > scared to put a bike togeather but I have a budget
    of
    > > under 200$ for the entire bike. Anyone know where to buy cheap or used parts?
    > >
    > > Sorry for the long rant but I miss that trek. I believed the guy about
    the
    > > crack at the time because I had a particularly hard crash which bent the front tire really bad
    > > and knocked me clean out. Cracked my helmet and
    tore a
    > > huge piece of the styrophome out also. I had heard that the carbon
    fiber
    > > frames can crack but now I look back on it and think that if it cracked
    it
    > > would be around the head (under handlebars) or under the seat right? I really don't know but I'm
    > > suspicious of that place now.
    > >
    > > Anyway, thanks for any replies.
    > >

    > I'm not sure if you got ripped or not but I do have some advice. Get the Hell out of Houston! That
    > city is the most miserable place in the country.

  4. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sat, 31 May 2003 16:58:26 -0500, toochi wrote:

    > the name but it's the thing that goes throught the bike to the two crank arms) he said there was a
    > little crack.

    Sounds like the bottom bracket, which isn't part of the frame. That's replaceable.

    No doubt. Here's somebody selling one for $900: http://www.mtexpress.com/classads/512.htm

    > That trek was badass, but now I need something I can ride on/offroad and comfortably. I'm not
    > scared to put a bike togeather but I have a budget of under 200$ for the entire bike.

    So lemme get this straight - you sold a high-end bike (that originally listed for $2000 and had a
    lifetime warranty) for $150, and now you want to piece together some junk bike for $200?

    Well, try the classifieds I guess. There is also a classified section in mtbr.com. Maybe you'll get
    lucky and find a bike that originally sold for
    1/4 the price of the one you just unloaded, for only $50 more than what you got.

    > I had heard that the carbon fiber frames can crack but now I look back on it and think that if it
    > cracked it would be around the head (under handlebars) or under the seat right? I really don't
    > know but I'm suspicious of that place now.

    You should be more than suspicious. At least they should have asked you if you tried to get that
    crack covered under warranty.

    I've done some quite horrible things with my 9800 over the years; its been slammed into rocks and
    joined me in crashes that have cause ME a fair amount of damage. Bikeworld.com used to have an
    article about a tour that they took through the Trek factory - the guys at the factory gave them a
    sledgehammer and asked them to try to break a section of OCLV; they couldn't. It takes a lot to
    break one of these frames. The clearcoat did chip pretty badly, though - and that might have been
    what the LBS used to dupe you into thinking you had a bad frame.

  5. Derral

    Derral Guest

    Houston's a great city, lived there for 5 years, anything you want, anytime you want it, very
    reasonable cost of living, abundance of jobs, nice climate, and friendly people. After you've been
    there a while you learn how to avoid the traffic problems.

    "toochi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    about
    > the
    > > > crack at the time because I had a particularly hard crash which bent
    the
    > > > front tire really bad and knocked me clean out. Cracked my helmet and
    > tore a
    > > > huge piece of the styrophome out also. I had heard that the carbon
    > fiber
    > > > frames can crack but now I look back on it and think that if it
    cracked
    > it
    > > > would be around the head (under handlebars) or under the seat right?
    > > > really don't know but I'm suspicious of that place now.
    > > >
    > > > Anyway, thanks for any replies.
    > > >

    > > I'm not sure if you got ripped or not but I do have some advice. Get the Hell out of Houston!
    > > That city is the most miserable place in the country.

  6. Tristan

    Tristan Guest

    toochi wrote:
    > somehow, deep down I know your right. I'd be out of here but I have to finish school so I have a
    > job wherever I go too.
    >
    > Ho chi min trail ain't that bad though. I'm curious where your hate for houston comes from?

    I lived in that place for 20 years. In fact, I went to Bellaire High. The weather is terrible,
    mosquitos the size of small birds, and above all.... the humidity. I almost forgot, it's flat, flat,
    flat! I don't hate Houston, the people are great, but there are more liveable cities in Texas.
    Austin is great!

    BTW: Did I mention the humidity?

  7. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Derral wrote:
    > Houston's a great city, lived there for 5 years, anything you want, anytime you want it, very
    > reasonable cost of living, abundance of jobs, nice climate, and friendly people. After you've been
    > there a while you learn how to avoid the traffic problems.

    "Nice climate?"

  8. Danny

    Danny Guest

    "Friendly people???"

    I moved my family and myself to Kansas City about two years ago after twenty-one Glorious years
    in Houston.

    The climate sucks. The pollution is so bad that you have to watch the news in the morning to see if
    your kids can play outside. Personal automobiles are hammered for emmissions, yet every petro-chem
    plant know to man is grandfathered without penalty (and who said that political donations didn't
    come with strings...) The people there can be friendly, But children come up missing there, EVERY
    DAY!, the crime rate sucks. And from mid April to the first part of Novenmber, the humidity is so
    bad that right after you shower in the morning and head out to your car, you're soggy and sweating
    before you reach it.

    I was with a fire department and EMS service in the northwest part of Houston... I got to see lots
    of little nasties that maybe most folks don't... so maybe I'm jaded. But the taste in my mouth was
    so bad there, that I'll never go back even to visit.

    Oh, and it's F-L-A-T-!-!-!

    I now live where there are hills galore. Where fountains and statuary abound. The people here are
    wonderful!!! The weather is great, although a few more tornadoes this year.. (hmmm.). All in all,
    heaven compared to Houston.

    Don't get me wrong.. Houston has it's good points... but it's gotten to the point where they are
    outweighed by the crime and grime.

    (and I didn't even mention fire ants and killer bees.. LMAO)

    Danny

    "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Derral wrote:
    > > Houston's a great city, lived there for 5 years, anything you want,
    anytime
    > > you want it, very reasonable cost of living, abundance of jobs, nice climate, and friendly
    > > people. After you've been there a while you
    learn
    > > how to avoid the traffic problems.
    >
    > "Nice climate?"

    > Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    > could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
    > in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

  9. Derral

    Derral Guest

    My last year there the coldest day was 31 degrees, that's a pretty good climate in my opinion. Our
    cut-off temp for bike riding was 50 degrees. Mowing grass in January beats shoveling snow any day.
    I'll admit that July, August and early September can be uncomfortable because of the humidity, but I
    can handle it much better than 5-10 degrees in January and February with a 20-30mph north wind.

    "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Derral wrote:
    > > Houston's a great city, lived there for 5 years, anything you want,
    anytime
    > > you want it, very reasonable cost of living, abundance of jobs, nice climate, and friendly
    > > people. After you've been there a while you
    learn
    > > how to avoid the traffic problems.
    >
    > "Nice climate?"

    > Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    > could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
    > in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

  10. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "toochi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Haya guys and gals,
    >
    > I have a question. I'm an x-enthusiast(sp) and sold my bike a while ago. After 2 years of no
    > exercise I'm about to get a new bike.
    >
    > I need no help in that but I have a question. I sold my bike like I said
    > a shop over in the bellaire area (of houston) for 150 bucks and I'm wondering if I got ripped.
    > That included everything I had, shoes etc.
    The
    > bike was a trek 9800 with manatue (sp) spyder shocks, rapid fire shift and v-brakes(forgot all the
    > names of these things). The bike had fairly new hubs. The crank was creaking but that's no biggie.
    > It was a nice bike,
    or
    > so I thought. This was the only place in houston that would buy back
    bikes
    > and was told I had to get rid of it. (long story) When I showed the bike
    > the owner he turned it over and a little further up from the crank( I
    forgot
    > the name but it's the thing that goes throught the bike to the two crank arms) he said there was a
    > little crack. Looked like a chip to me but I had no choice. I put that bike togeather and those
    > shocks were 300bucks at least and he gave me 150 bucks for it and that included all the xt add ons
    > etc. I got ripped huh?
    >
    > That trek was badass, but now I need something I can ride on/offroad and comfortably. I'm not
    > scared to put a bike togeather but I have a budget
    of
    > under 200$ for the entire bike. Anyone know where to buy cheap or used parts?
    >
    > Sorry for the long rant but I miss that trek. I believed the guy about
    the
    > crack at the time because I had a particularly hard crash which bent the front tire really bad and
    > knocked me clean out. Cracked my helmet and tore
    > huge piece of the styrophome out also. I had heard that the carbon fiber frames can crack but now
    > I look back on it and think that if it cracked it would be around the head (under handlebars) or
    > under the seat right? I really don't know but I'm suspicious of that place now.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for any replies.

    Yeah, you must have been ripped... To sell a bike like that for $150.00, you had to have been
    drunk or high.

  11. What difference does it make at this point. The time to be asking is before you decide to make
    a bad deal.

  12. Jjp

    Jjp Guest

    Tristan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > toochi wrote:
    > > somehow, deep down I know your right. I'd be out of here but I have to finish school so I have a
    > > job wherever I go too.
    > >
    > > Ho chi min trail ain't that bad though. I'm curious where your hate for houston comes from?
    > >

    > I lived in that place for 20 years. In fact, I went to Bellaire High. The weather is terrible,
    > mosquitos the size of small birds, and above all.... the humidity. I almost forgot, it's flat,
    > flat, flat! I don't hate Houston, the people are great, but there are more liveable cities in
    > Texas. Austin is great!
    >
    > BTW: Did I mention the humidity?

    I lived in Austin prior to Houston. Austin is overrated. The humidity is a whole 10% average lower.
    The bugs are almost as abundant. The weather to me in Houston is better -- those yearly ice storms
    in Austin sucked. Plus Austin is usually hotter in the summer. A long time ago Austin was a nice,
    laid-back artsy town. Now it's just an oversized college town that grew too fast, with most of the
    big city problems but few of the big city amenities. The only significant advantage it has over
    Houston is outdoor recreation. At least in Houston I can get a lower cost of living, a great
    restaurant scene, top-notch arts and culture, a more diverse, international and sophisticated
    population, and a larger variety of just about everything.

  13. Jjp

    Jjp Guest

    Raptor <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Derral wrote:
    > > Houston's a great city, lived there for 5 years, anything you want, anytime you want it, very
    > > reasonable cost of living, abundance of jobs, nice climate, and friendly people. After you've
    > > been there a while you learn how to avoid the traffic problems.
    >
    > "Nice climate?"

    3-4 months out of the year are very hot. But the rest of the year is usually quite nice.

  14. Jjp

    Jjp Guest

    "Danny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Friendly people???"
    >
    > I moved my family and myself to Kansas City about two years ago after twenty-one Glorious years in
    > Houston.
    >
    > The climate sucks.

    Once again -- it's hot/humid 3-4 months out of the year. But the rest of the year is usually nice
    for outdoor recreation, and no ice/snow.

    > The pollution is so bad that you have to watch the news in the morning to see if your kids can
    > play outside.

    Ridiculous. Maybe a few months out of the year at the most, and more so in the east side areas.

    > Personal automobiles are hammered for emmissions, yet every petro-chem plant know to man is
    > grandfathered without penalty (and who said that political donations didn't come with strings...)

    This is a problem. But again, most of these are on the east side.

    > The people there can be friendly, But children come up missing there, EVERY DAY!, the crime
    > rate sucks.

    Maybe 20 years ago! But not present day. Houston actually just made a list for the safest large US
    cities along with San Francisco and Honolulu. Dallas, Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa, and tons of others
    all have much higher crime rates. Check some stats.

    > And from mid April to the first part of Novenmber, the humidity is so bad that right after you
    > shower in the morning and head out to your car, you're soggy and sweating before you reach it.

    It is humid just like New Orleans and Miami... but that's what often happens living near the coast.
    It also means milder temperatures, especially in winter.

    > I was with a fire department and EMS service in the northwest part of Houston... I got to see lots
    > of little nasties that maybe most folks don't... so maybe I'm jaded.

    Obviously...

    > But the taste in my mouth was so bad there, that I'll never go back even to visit.
    >
    > Oh, and it's F-L-A-T-!-!-!

    So are lots of other nice cities...

    > I now live where there are hills galore. Where fountains and statuary abound. The people here are
    > wonderful!!! The weather is great, although a few more tornadoes this year.. (hmmm.). All in all,
    > heaven compared to Houston.

    The amenities in KC are nothing (i.e. restaurant scene, arts/culture and museums, etc.) in
    comparison. But if those aren't important to you...

    > Don't get me wrong.. Houston has it's good points... but it's gotten to the point where they are
    > outweighed by the crime and grime.

    Once again... you're jaded. Need to check some crime stats.

    > (and I didn't even mention fire ants and killer bees.. LMAO)

    I've never heard of or seen killer bees in this area... only in south Texas. Fire ants? They must be
    getting them under control because there is lots of wildlife just in my neighborhood (like rabbits)
    that don't survive well when there's a fire ant problem.

  15. Danny

    Danny Guest

    Hmmm... I'll just accept that we see things differently with regard to Houston... but I'll take
    exception to a couple of things..

    1. It's hot 6-8 months of the year. and muggy ALL of it. A lot of humidity can make a little heat
    go a long way.
    2. The art and culture scene in KC is much more alive than in Houston. And it shows all
    over the city.

    Houston is a great place for some folks.. I just don't happen to be one of them. Been there, done
    that, not interested in a repeat.

    I DO, however, wish that I had the accessability to the deals that abound in Houston. If a guy's
    willing to do the legwork, you can find just about anything for a great price. (you wouldn't believe
    some of the great things we found in the wharehouses at NASA, while looking at auction goods, or the
    CHEAP technology things that could be had).

    As I said, I lived there over twenty years.. just had my fill is all. My favorite thing about KC are
    the hills... I cannot believe how much I missed them. (Almost as much as the mountains of southern
    Arizona.. but my wife has said that she will never live there.. sigh LOL).

    At any rate.. Enjoy Houston.

    Danny

    "jjp" <jjp[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    > > are wonderful!!! The weather is great,
    although a
    > > few more tornadoes this year.. (hmmm.). All in all, heaven compared to Houston.
    >
    > The amenities in KC are nothing (i.e. restaurant scene, arts/culture and museums, etc.) in
    > comparison. But if those aren't important to you...
    >
    > > Don't get me wrong.. Houston has it's good points... but it's gotten
    > > the point where they are outweighed by the crime and grime.
    >
    > Once again... you're jaded. Need to check some crime stats.
    >
    > > (and I didn't even mention fire ants and killer bees.. LMAO)
    >
    > I've never heard of or seen killer bees in this area... only in south Texas. Fire ants? They must
    > be getting them under control because there is lots of wildlife just in my neighborhood (like
    > rabbits) that don't survive well when there's a fire ant problem.

  16. Tristan

    Tristan Guest

    jjp wrote:
    > Tristan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>toochi wrote:
    >>
    >>>somehow, deep down I know your right. I'd be out of here but I have to finish school so I have a
    >>>job wherever I go too.
    >>>
    >>>Ho chi min trail ain't that bad though. I'm curious where your hate for houston comes from?
    >>>

    >>I lived in that place for 20 years. In fact, I went to Bellaire High. The weather is terrible,
    >>mosquitos the size of small birds, and above all.... the humidity. I almost forgot, it's flat,
    >>flat, flat! I don't hate Houston, the people are great, but there are more liveable cities in
    >>Texas. Austin is great!
    >>
    >>BTW: Did I mention the humidity?
    >

    > I lived in Austin prior to Houston. Austin is overrated. The humidity is a whole 10% average
    > lower. The bugs are almost as abundant. The weather to me in Houston is better -- those yearly ice
    > storms in Austin sucked. Plus Austin is usually hotter in the summer. A long time ago Austin was a
    > nice, laid-back artsy town. Now it's just an oversized college town that grew too fast, with most
    > of the big city problems but few of the big city amenities. The only significant advantage it has
    > over Houston is outdoor recreation. At least in Houston I can get a lower cost of living, a great
    > restaurant scene, top-notch arts and culture, a more diverse, international and sophisticated
    > population, and a larger variety of just about everything.

    Obviously, you're not talking about Austin, TX. How's the mountain biking in Houston? Those 20 ft.
    climbs are really challenging. If you like Houston, great. Someone has to live there.......I'm glad
    it's not me.

  17. Jjp

    Jjp Guest

    Tristan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > jjp wrote:
    > > Tristan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > >>I lived in that place for 20 years. In fact, I went to Bellaire High. The weather is terrible,
    > >>mosquitos the size of small birds, and above all.... the humidity. I almost forgot, it's flat,
    > >>flat, flat! I don't hate Houston, the people are great, but there are more liveable cities in
    > >>Texas. Austin is great!
    > >>
    > >>BTW: Did I mention the humidity?
    > >

    > > I lived in Austin prior to Houston. Austin is overrated. The humidity is a whole 10% average
    > > lower. The bugs are almost as abundant. The weather to me in Houston is better -- those yearly
    > > ice storms in Austin sucked. Plus Austin is usually hotter in the summer. A long time ago Austin
    > > was a nice, laid-back artsy town. Now it's just an oversized college town that grew too fast,
    > > with most of the big city problems but few of the big city amenities. The only significant
    > > advantage it has over Houston is outdoor recreation. At least in Houston I can get a lower cost
    > > of living, a great restaurant scene, top-notch arts and culture, a more diverse, international
    > > and sophisticated population, and a larger variety of just about everything.
    >
    > Obviously, you're not talking about Austin, TX.

    Oh, yes I am. Lived there throughout the 90's. Outside of outdoor recreation and some music
    festivals, the place is overrated.

  18. Danny

    Danny Guest

    Again.. it depends entirely upon perspective. I guess attitude in general is most important to me..
    the attitudes that I found in Austin, and in San Antonio, (and even in Shamrock where I lived for a
    bit), was/is MUCH better than that in Houston.

    I don't suffer bullshit well.. and it abounds in Houston... But then again, I'm sure that a pile or
    two of it is mine.
    :)

    Danny

    "jjp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tristan <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > jjp wrote:
    > > > Tristan <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    don't

    > > > I lived in Austin prior to Houston. Austin is overrated. The humidity is a whole 10% average
    > > > lower. The bugs are almost as abundant. The weather to me in Houston is better -- those yearly
    > > > ice storms in Austin sucked. Plus Austin is usually hotter in the summer. A long time ago
    > > > Austin was a nice, laid-back artsy town. Now it's just an oversized college town that grew too
    > > > fast, with most of the big city problems but few of the big city amenities. The only
    > > > significant advantage it has over Houston is outdoor recreation. At least in Houston I can get
    > > > a lower cost of living, a great restaurant scene, top-notch arts and culture, a more diverse,
    > > > international and sophisticated population, and a larger variety of just about everything.
    > >
    > > Obviously, you're not talking about Austin, TX.
    >
    > Oh, yes I am. Lived there throughout the 90's. Outside of outdoor recreation and some music
    > festivals, the place is overrated.

  19. Jjp

    Jjp Guest

    "Danny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hmmm... I'll just accept that we see things differently with regard to Houston... but I'll take
    > exception to a couple of things..
    >
    > 1. It's hot 6-8 months of the year. and muggy ALL of it. A lot of humidity can make a little heat
    > go a long way.

    I suppose that depends on what you consider "hot." When I say 3-4 months out of the year "hot" I'm
    talking about uncomfortably hot where one feels one HAS to have air conditioning.

    > 2. The art and culture scene in KC is much more alive than in Houston. And it shows all over the
    > city.

    Really? Last time I checked it was Houston that houses the theater district second in size only to
    New York's Broadway. Last time I checked it was Houston with the third largest amount of fine arts
    museum space in the country. Last time I checked it was Houston organizations that were nationally
    award winning...

    > Houston is a great place for some folks.. I just don't happen to be one of them. Been there, done
    > that, not interested in a repeat.
    >
    > I DO, however, wish that I had the accessability to the deals that abound in Houston. If a guy's
    > willing to do the legwork, you can find just about anything for a great price. (you wouldn't
    > believe some of the great things we found in the wharehouses at NASA, while looking at auction
    > goods, or the CHEAP technology things that could be had).
    >
    > As I said, I lived there over twenty years.. just had my fill is all. My favorite thing about KC
    > are the hills... I cannot believe how much I missed

    I guess they mean more for some than others. I don't miss Austin much at all.

    > them. (Almost as much as the mountains of southern Arizona.. but my wife has said that she will
    > never live there.. sigh LOL).

    I hear lots of people down-talking southern Arizona... but I'm not sure why.

    > At any rate.. Enjoy Houston.

    Oh -- I am.

  20. Derral

    Derral Guest

    "jjp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Danny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>...

    > Really? Last time I checked it was Houston that houses the theater district second in size only to
    > New York's Broadway. Last time I checked it was Houston with the third largest amount of fine arts
    > museum space in the country. Last time I checked it was Houston organizations that were nationally
    > award winning...

    Not to mention some of the finest medical research and treatment facilities that exist anywhere