Was I wrong here?

OldTimer79

Sep 4, 2011
Just got home from a ride. Last portion about a mile long, 2-lane road with a wide shoulder. I was riding on the right 1/3 of the traffic lane. Couple horn honkers and some guy yelling at me out the window of his truck to get over onto the shoulder. Posted speed 30 MPH and I was probably doing about 20. I have been reading a lot on this website including the advice to "ride your lane". So should I have been on the shoulder in this circumstance?

OldTimer79 said:
Just got home from a ride. Last portion about a mile long, 2-lane road with a wide shoulder. I was riding on the right 1/3 of the traffic lane. Couple horn honkers and some guy yelling at me out the window of his truck to get over onto the shoulder. Posted speed 30 MPH and I was probably doing about 20. I have been reading a lot on this website including the advice to "ride your lane". So should I have been on the shoulder in this circumstance?
The roads are full of stupidity... You can find them in trucks, cars, on mopeds, on horse wagons and yes, on bicycles too. I would just forget the incident. Btw by the sound of it you were just riding along and you run into one of those "less positive" road people... If this happens alot on that road (because there is something around them that attracts this kind of people) then you might just try a different route.

Can't really avoid it this is right by my house lol. I don't mind the shoulder except it's full of stones, glass, etc. I only have to be on this road for a couple of miles or so to get to quiet neighborhoods or the long bike path.

Same problem here... (warning: rant folowing) I live in a central street in the center of the city. Unfortunately some wise-ass architect has transformed all the ground floors of the appartment buildings into shops, some even wiser ass mayor gave permits to some sub-standard shops. So at the moment I have on the ground floor of the surrounding buildings a number of shops which include, two groceries stores run by gypsies, some illegal gambling and betting places, a gold buyers and a ****** tavern that is just hogging on the park. Some of the near by appartment buildings are really run down and are massively rented to gypsies. Allthough that mind sound like fun if you dont live here, everytime I go out of my building I see double and triple parked gypsie cars, (you know the trashy ones with the black windows), plus some mob chilling on the sidewalk talking shite and ofcourse some very unsanitary conditions like trash etc. This only happens underneath my appartment as a bit further down, up left and right of the road the conditions are much better with some nicer cleaner appartment buildings with more "civilized" people. So everytime I go out I need to avoid all this ugliness, (I kinda really need to since the police has advised me not to ever go there) until I go about 1km away into the civilization. So basically since all the police does is issue fines and not revoking licences I am kinda thinking of (actually not kinda I so am) moving when I get a job again far far away from this place. Bad thing is that I like my appartment alot, so maybe when I move I might even take the electric sockets with me too... :big-smile:

Volnix said:
Same problem here... (warning: rant folowing) I live in a central street in the center of the city. Unfortunately some wise-ass architect has transformed all the ground floors of the appartment buildings into shops, some even wiser ass mayor gave permits to some sub-standard shops. So at the moment I have on the ground floor of the surrounding buildings a number of shops which include, two groceries stores run by gypsies, some illegal gambling and betting places, a gold buyers and a ****** tavern that is just hogging on the park. Some of the near by appartment buildings are really run down and are massively rented to gypsies. Allthough that mind sound like fun if you dont live here, everytime I go out of my building I see double and triple parked gypsie cars, (you know the trashy ones with the black windows), plus some mob chilling on the sidewalk talking shite and ofcourse some very unsanitary conditions like trash etc. This only happens underneath my appartment as a bit further down, up left and right of the road the conditions are much better with some nicer cleaner appartment buildings with more "civilized" people. So everytime I go out I need to avoid all this ugliness, (I kinda really need to since the police has advised me not to ever go there) until I go about 1km away into the civilization. So basically since all the police does is issue fines and not revoking licences I am kinda thinking of (actually not kinda I so am) moving when I get a job again far far away from this place. Bad thing is that I like my appartment alot, so maybe when I move I might even take the electric sockets with me too... :big-smile:
Another bigot speaks.

Malaria-nator could you maybe not respond to my posts? I blocked you but you still seem to creep into my email inbox.... :angry:

I was cycling along minding my own when I heard the immortal words from behind me 'get off the ****ing road'
Turned round and a van driver and his passenger were driving in a fairly aggressive manner, continually roaring up behind me then backing off and repeating.
I did what any self respecting 43 yr old man would do....moved to the centre of the lane, slowed from 25 to 5mph and made the ******* wait!
Childish..probably risky but it did feel satisfying! Oh and I made sure I waved and smiled in a pleasant manner as he passed.

Volnix said:
Malaria-nator could you maybe not respond to my posts? I blocked you but you still seem to creep into my email inbox.... :angry:
Could please not whine about gypsies or other groups that suffer your bigoted hate?

Originally Posted by OldTimer79 .

I do wish the local law enforcement would help us out here...
As do many cyclists. It doesn't hurt to report aggressive drivers, don't expect anything to happen as a result but it establishes a record which can come back to haunt them if they cross the line and injure someone.

Bottom line, there are a lot of jerks out that aren't interested in sharing the road and just want slower road users out of their way. I've been honked at, cursed at, had objects thrown at me when I'm safely and legally riding on the shoulder and not impeding their travel in any way. It happens, it sucks and it can sour a good ride. Best if possible to get it out of your head as soon as possible and move on with your life. I've always felt that a big part of it is that we're very easy targets who can't usually chase them down. Little chance they'll lean on the horn and curse out some slower moving Harley riders but cyclists in lycra are fair game.

I would say it pays to stay as far right as is SAFE and it's up to you to make that judgement. IOW if there's a wide and clean shoulder there's not a lot of reason to ride out in the road, that's just the flip side of sharing the road. But if there is no shoulder or it's strewn with debris or randomly appears and disappears or has parked cars on it that could door you or force you swerve in and out then just take the lane as that's the safe place to be and you've got a right to be there. But yeah some drivers won't appreciate it and will let you know. You could be totally in the right but that doesn't mean you won't get hassled sometimes.

Good luck,
-Dave

Originally Posted by OldTimer79 .

Just got home from a ride. Last portion about a mile long, 2-lane road with a wide shoulder. I was riding on the right 1/3 of the traffic lane. Couple horn honkers and some guy yelling at me out the window of his truck to get over onto the shoulder. Posted speed 30 MPH and I was probably doing about 20.

I have been reading a lot on this website including the advice to "ride your lane".

So should I have been on the shoulder in this circumstance?
I ride shoulders if they are clean and smooth .... left of fog line if not. Bit of a catch 22 when traveling in shoulder/break down lane. Technically you're off the active roadway when traveling on a wide shoulder, so the responsibility is yours to merge back into traffic safely - the same as for a motor vehicle. It is generally illegal for vehicles to travel on shoulders or break down lanes, but not illegal to cross the fog line. (Erratic crossing of the fog line is generally grounds for a traffic stop, however.) If you remain in the active lane (left of fog line), there is no question that you "own it". Doesn't always make motorists happy though, so YMMV. The fog line paint can be dangerous, especially if wet, so cross with caution.

"I live in a central street in the center of the city. Unfortunately some wise-ass architect has transformed all the ground floors of the appartment buildings into shops, some even wiser ass mayor gave permits to some sub-standard shops.
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]So at the moment I have on the ground floor of the surrounding buildings a number of shops which include, two groceries stores run by gypsies, some illegal gambling and betting places, a gold buyers and a ****** tavern that is just hogging on the park. Some of the near by appartment buildings are really run down and are massively rented to gypsies.[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Allthough that mind sound like fun if you dont live here, everytime I go out of my building I see double and triple parked gypsie cars, (you know the trashy ones with the black windows), plus some mob chilling on the sidewalk talking shite and ofcourse some very unsanitary conditions like trash etc.[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]This only happens underneath my appartment as a bit further down, up left and right of the road the conditions are much better with some nicer cleaner appartment buildings with more "civilized" people.[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]So everytime I go out I need to avoid all this ugliness, (I kinda really need to since the police has advised me not to ever go there) until I go about 1km away into the civilization.[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]So basically since all the police does is issue fines and not revoking licences I am kinda thinking of (actually not kinda I so am) moving when I get a job again far far away from this place."[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Here, we call these people, "Democrats".[/COLOR]

"Could please not whine about gypsies or other groups that suffer your bigoted hate?"

Cher disapproves of your whining about his whining! Welcome to the United States of The Offended, comrade! You will fit in well here!

"They called us, "Gypsies, tramps and thieves!
We'ld hear it from the people of the town!"

Of course, she's part Indian (our kind, not theirs). Not gypsy. Never stopped a good capitalist from making a buck off of the offended.

Say...can we rip on those other scammers/thieves...The Travelers?

Bob, your problem is you take the idiocies of entertainment and pop culture, turn them around to justify your own prejudices, and smear populations of real people with them. Stop reading People and join the real human race.

Or learn to just post about bicycles. You're quite knowledgeable about this, you know.

daveryanwyoming said:
Little chance they'll lean on the horn and curse out some slower moving Harley riders but cyclists in lycra are fair game.
I am so getting a Harley... A big ****-off shiny one! And I'm gonna wear a jacket too, a ****ing skin tight leather one with ****ing mercedes benz hood ornaments hanging from the sleeves... :big-smile: And I'm gonna drive it in the middle of the ****** lane, in half the speed I usually cycle... :big-smile: "Sorry? What was that? You want to move on the side? Why dont you get back in the car before you get "smoked"... :big-smile:"

CAMPYBOB said:
";">Here, we call these people, "Democrats".
Depends on where you live here. If you live up in the mountain where they got all the nice street furniture with the money I pay for tax they might call them democrats too. If you live here on the centre like me where you pay as much money for tax as they do up in the mountain and have to dodge gypsies, gypsy cars, illegal betting mob and garbage then you usually call them thieves... :angry:

CAMPYBOB said:
"Could please not whine about gypsies or other groups that suffer your bigoted hate?"
Hmmm I dont even know who wrote this (I'm blocking more people then a 16yo girl on facebook, but by the use of the word biggot I suppose it was the Malaria-nator)... So... Malaria-nator! The man who probably lives in a ranch or a nice appartment and has no idea what I am talking about! The man who is friend of gypsies, mobsters and trash tossing idiots because he is so open minded and does not give a **** because he doesnt live here! The man who thinks that all dislike comes from biggot-ness and not from a true problem which is caused by people purposely responsible. Who thinks that gypsies are all like Bregovic and all mob is like these fat nice guys from the goodfella movies. Who does not pay 200euro tax for ****** nothing! Etc Is the person who is calling me a biggot. And you know why? Coz he's got a subscription to Al-Jazeera english in his ranch or nice clean appartment and he sees these "situations" and thinks that in the "bottom we are all humans and we can combine any two kinds of persons to live happily in the same place" Well yes, that is true, why is it not happening around here then? Because they are -idiots- man, and ****ing nasty mean ones too... So yeah, mr social analyst. Wanna come here and do some "social work" with the trash throwing gypsy mob? I can chill at the ranch for a while no problem switching for a while, or longer...

"Bob, your problem is you take the idiocies of entertainment and pop culture, turn them around to justify your own prejudices, and smear populations of real people with them. Stop reading People and join the real human race."

I smeared no one, individual or group. Take it up with Cher.

Me? I'm just a "creepy assed cracker", to quote Dee Dee.

"Or learn to just post about bicycles. You're quite knowledgeable about this, you know."

Meh...I don't even know science 'n stuff. You know...like heavy, flexy bikes being all cool 'n stuff and loose spokes being awesome and da wind not carrying sound and AZirona burning your hide right thru a burka. My bad.

As Dee Dee would say..."That's retarded, sir."

"The man who thinks that all dislike comes from biggot-ness and not from a true problem which is caused by people purposely responsible."

You will NEVER hammer the truth through to the idiots. Not in a hundred years of trying.

You would be far better off to do what I do. Laugh at the retards.

"Well yes, that is true, why is it not happening around here then? Because they are -idiots- man, and ****ing nasty mean ones too..."

Not to worry! The dweebs will come back and tell you it is all YOUR fault! You need to pay more taxes! Heheh! And have more 'guilt' and empathy towards your fellow 'man'.

Now me? I ride to the RIGHT! Not to the leftists. It's kept me alive and cycling for 42 seasons among rednecks, creepy assed crackers, pickup truck driving hillbillies, texting spoiled middle class teens, farmer-tanned farmers with wide equipment, roving gangs of Amish drunks on rumspringa, un-employed drugaholics and frustrated and angry CEO's of major investment banks. There...we dissed on the white debil. All is balanced in the universe.

Originally Posted by Volnix .

So yeah, mr social analyst. Wanna come here and do some "social work" with the trash throwing gypsy mob? I can chill at the ranch for a while no problem switching for a while, or longer...
So where do you live anyway? And does your city have a good part, where people wealthier than you can afford to live free of the bohemian mob? Surely there must be a nicer part of town for the well-off and a cathedral and some museums for the tourists?