Was I wrong here?

I really have only had one a-hole driver so I guess we're pretty used to bikes here in South Florida. I have had several people honk as they pass, but mostly seems more like "Hey, we're letting you know were back here and passing you" then a "Hey A-hole, get off the road" type of a honk.

Anyway, two of us riding in the right edge of the road. Two lanes, minimal traffic so the driver had another lane to enter if he wanted to. So he honks from behind and as he goes past yells at us to get on the sidewalk before we kill someone.
500 yrd up the road, at a traffic light I look over at the White Cadillac and see the 80-90y r old man and yell back "Get to the Hospice center before you kill someone"

Mean? yea, felt pretty good at the time. He rolled up his window, refused to look at us, light turned green and he drove off

Volnix said:
The man who is friend of gypsies, mobsters and trash tossing idiots because he is so open minded and does not give a **** because he doesnt live here! The man who thinks that all dislike comes from biggot-ness and not from a true problem which is caused by people purposely responsible.
Yes, the assumptions you make about a particular ethnic group make you a bigot, just like your buddy BigotBob. Have some balls and own up to it.

Mr645 said:
I  500 yrd up the road, at a traffic light I look over at the White Cadillac and see the 80-90y r old man and yell back "Get to the Hospice center before you kill someone" Mean?  yea, felt pretty good at the time.  He rolled up his window, refused to look at us, light turned green and he drove off
How impressive.

"Get to the Hospice center before you kill someone"

Classic! The perfect comeback for use in Azirona or Floriduh.

"Yes, the assumptions you make about a particular ethnic group make you a bigot, just like your buddy BigotBob."

You wouldn't know reality from an assumption if it hit you in the head with a can of Watermelon Arizona Tea.

Stereotypes...how do they work?

So I was just cycling along... :big-smile:
dhk2 said:
Surely there must be a nicer part of town for the well-off and a cathedral and some museums for the tourists?    
There is but it doesnt worth the strech... (Or the ****ing mountain climb for that matter)

Originally Posted by Volnix .

So I was just cycling along...
big-smile.png

There is but it doesnt worth the strech... (Or the ****ing mountain climb for that matter)
What is that? Oh wait it's a flat road correct? I have heard about those and they do exist I guess.:) I am still not sure about that space on the side of the lane. It must be a new concept.

jhuskey said:
What is that? Oh wait it's a flat road correct? I have heard about those and they do exist I guess.:) I am still not sure about that space on the side of the lane. It must be a new concept.
It is... The goat later on is not on picture... :big-smile:

Originally Posted by OldTimer79 .

So should I have been on the shoulder in this circumstance?
Yes. You should have moved to the shoulder and let the guy pass. Be nice to people.

"The Sherpas really irritate me. The think they own the mountain."

Damned straight! And they charge too much to haul my O2 bottles up from base camp! Uppity folks!

The O2 is for the hottie I took with me. The other Sherpa's haul my cigars and rum. I never ***** about that cost.

Yeah...the 5-1/2 Mile High Club is exclusive!

How did I forget about this awesome tune...?

This is what I should have posted in the first place!
big-smile.png

Back to the point, the rule around here is ride "as far right as practicable." Wide smooth shoulders on the road should be ridden on, not avoided. Ride with traffic only when necessary and don't make it a point to impede the flow.

Sometimes the person behind the wheel is in the right.

That's why I asked the question. I guess where it's challenging is when you have a road that alternates between having wide shoulders then parked cars then shoulders again and on and on.

Originally Posted by maydog .

Back to the point, the rule around here is ride "as far right as practicable." Wide smooth shoulders on the road should be ridden on, not avoided. Ride with traffic only when necessary and don't make it a point to impede the flow.

Sometimes the person behind the wheel is in the right.
My experience is that usually wide, smooth shoulders have a bunch of potential tire-puncturing **** and other detritus on them. Also, riding to the right of the fog line puts you that much farther out of the line of sight of already overly distracted drivers. Plus, if the shoulder ends intermittently for a turn lane or driveway or other reason, a cyclist would end up swerving back and forth unpredictably (to a driver), rather than maintaining a predictable line just to the left of the fog line. This also leaves the option of swerving either way if something is in the road. If you're riding to the far right, you can only swerve into traffic.

I ride this road (Rte 2) frequently when in Maine. It's a combination of flat and rolling hills, straight and twisty, as it follows rivers through the hills. The shoulder has been widened for long stretches (10-20 miles or more) but also narrows to a foot or two as it nears small towns. Speed limit is 55mph between towns and 35-45 as the shoulder narrows near towns. Logging trucks tend to travel both directions @ 70+mph.

If this is the kind of shoulder you're talking about, I ride middle of the shoulder and check carefully if I have to re-enter the active traffic lane to avoid broken pavement or debris. I personally would not chose to ride left of fog line on such a road. Just after winter, there is a lot of sand and junk on the shoulder so I ride closer to the fog line. Later in spring crews brush it clean. Traffic is generally light, but when it comes it comes fast.

Side roads off of Rte 2 leave little choice .... :)