Was Jan penalized?

Jim Flom

Guest
Phil said Jan would be penalized for riding into the finishing riders. Did
that ever happen?

JF

Riders break the small rules in the grand tours all of the time, and never
get penalized.

"Brenton James" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Riders break the small rules in the grand tours all of the time, and never
> get penalized.
>
> "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Phil said Jan would be penalized for riding into the finishing riders.

> Did
> > that ever happen?
> >
> > JF

Mysteriously Lance's Alpe TT bike was 180 grams too light and needed
last minute adjustments before he could use it. Hm... They had to
know the legal limit and had to have been working with this bike
during the Dauphine Libere, so how did it suddenly come up light? I
suppose they just glued on some little weights, like Saeco did last
year.

"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<8qnLc.80756$Rf.35450@edtnps84>...
> Phil said Jan would be penalized for riding into the finishing riders. Did
> that ever happen?
>
> JF

I was wondering the same thing. Seemed like a dumbass thing to do.

On 21 Jul 2004 12:52:46 -0700, Mike Bruno wrote:
>"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Phil said Jan would be penalized for riding into the finishing riders. Did
>> that ever happen?

> I was wondering the same thing. Seemed like a dumbass thing to do.

It happens ALL the time on mountain top finishes. No penalty, almost
certainly.

"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<8qnLc.80756$Rf.35450@edtnps84>...
> Phil said Jan would be penalized for riding into the finishing riders. Did
> that ever happen?
>
> JF

I don't mean to blaspheme, but... BIG SHOCK - Sometimes Phil (and Paul
and Bob, et al) say silly things that just ain't true!

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:38:01 -0400, "Brenton James"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Riders break the small rules in the
> grand tours all of the time, and never
>get penalized.

Sometimes they get fined, so we don't notice the penalty in results.

JT

[email protected] (Mike Bruno) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I was wondering the same thing. Seemed like a dumbass thing to do.

Except when you take into consideration that riding down was probably the
fastest way down. He probably got to dinner, massage, and bed earlier.
You can't argue with his results in the time trial today, where he moved
himself *a lot* closer to the podium.

"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Phil said Jan would be penalized for riding into the finishing riders.

Did
> that ever happen?
>
> JF

Did you notice that right after they said that Jan would get a fine that two
other riders headed down?

[email protected] (Scott Hendricks) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<8qnLc.80756$Rf.35450@edtnps84>...
> > Phil said Jan would be penalized for riding into the finishing riders. Did
> > that ever happen?
> >
> > JF

> I don't mean to blaspheme, but... BIG SHOCK - Sometimes Phil (and Paul
> and Bob, et al) say silly things that just ain't true!

Anyone notice that just after Lance started yesterday, wearing a
cycling cap turned backwards, Phil commented on the 'built-in ear
pieces' in Lance's aero helmet???

Sometimes I wonder if they're even watching the same footage they're
showing us.

"Scott Hendricks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Scott Hendricks) wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<8qnLc.80756$Rf.35450@edtnps84>...
> > > Phil said Jan would be penalized for riding into the finishing riders. Did
> > > that ever happen?
> > >
> > > JF

> > I don't mean to blaspheme, but... BIG SHOCK - Sometimes Phil (and Paul
> > and Bob, et al) say silly things that just ain't true!

> Anyone notice that just after Lance started yesterday, wearing a
> cycling cap turned backwards, Phil commented on the 'built-in ear
> pieces' in Lance's aero helmet???

What happened to the hat? I didn't seem him discard it.

Mike

[email protected] (Scott Hendricks) wrote:

>Anyone notice that just after Lance started yesterday, wearing a
>cycling cap turned backwards, Phil commented on the 'built-in ear
>pieces' in Lance's aero helmet???
>
>Sometimes I wonder if they're even watching the same footage they're
>showing us.

And they were commenting on how the only major contender having aero
bars was Jan Ullrich, just when the footage was behind Basso... and you
can clearly see that Basso had aero bars.

"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Scott Hendricks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (Scott Hendricks) wrote in message

> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message

riders. Did

> > > I don't mean to blaspheme, but... BIG SHOCK - Sometimes Phil (and Paul
> > > and Bob, et al) say silly things that just ain't true!

> > Anyone notice that just after Lance started yesterday, wearing a
> > cycling cap turned backwards, Phil commented on the 'built-in ear
> > pieces' in Lance's aero helmet???

> What happened to the hat? I didn't seem him discard it.

Yeah, he threw it to the crowd.

Different scales give different readings, so if you are at the limit
and the scales aren't 100% accurate you may be declared too light, and
weighing a bicycle accurately isn't easy.