Was this the right frame size??

sergen

Jul 28, 2003
My LBS has a really great deal going on a 2005 Giant TCR Composite bike. The only issue being that he only has one left in a size 50 frame.

I'm 178 cms tall with an inseam of 82.5 cms so I 'should' be riding one of Giant's 53.5 TCR frames if conventional wisdom is anything to go by. Having said that I decided to put my bum on the saddle and rode around the block a few times and was quite happy with the way that it felt - although I suppose the top tube could have been a 2 centimetres longer (maybe if I put a longer stem on the bike, this would help me out into a more aerodynamic position?)

The one thing that I did notice was that when the cranks were in a horizontal position and I steered very sharply either left or right, the front wheel would catch the tip of my shoes. Granted that the LBS just stuck on a cheap pair of normal pedals so that customers could ride the bike with normal shoes on, but it still felt a bit strange.

Maybe I sound like I am trying to convince myself into believing that this bike is right for me simply to take advantage of a great deal? Either way I'd sure appreciate some feedback from forum users based on the above information.

Many thanks

sergen said:
My LBS has a really great deal going on a 2005 Giant TCR Composite bike. The only issue being that he only has one left in a size 50 frame.

I'm 178 cms tall with an inseam of 82.5 cms so I 'should' be riding one of Giant's 53.5 TCR frames if conventional wisdom is anything to go by. Having said that I decided to put my bum on the saddle and rode around the block a few times and was quite happy with the way that it felt - although I suppose the top tube could have been a 2 centimetres longer (maybe if I put a longer stem on the bike, this would help me out into a more aerodynamic position?)

The one thing that I did notice was that when the cranks were in a horizontal position and I steered very sharply either left or right, the front wheel would catch the tip of my shoes. Granted that the LBS just stuck on a cheap pair of normal pedals so that customers could ride the bike with normal shoes on, but it still felt a bit strange.

Maybe I sound like I am trying to convince myself into believing that this bike is right for me simply to take advantage of a great deal? Either way I'd sure appreciate some feedback from forum users based on the above information.

Many thanks

This is just my opinion and I wouldn't normally even give a yes or no answer when it comes to a sizing issue via the internet because there are just too many variables. But in this case it seems pretty obvious that the bike you're considering is too small for you. Chances are if you bought a frame that's the correct size for you the toe overlap issue would go away and you almost certainly wouldn't have to run an overly long stem to compensate for a top tube that's too short.

Spinning the bike around the block isn't really enough of a test to determine if you'd be comfortable on the bike for the long haul. Don't buy it. I think you'd be better off spending the same $ on a bike that's a step down but that fits you properly.

A mis-sized frame causes you to move the seat post up or down to extremes which can throw off the intended angle of your body in relation to the contact point such as the bars.
This can cause a lot of discomfort on a longer ride.
Twenty miles seems to be the breaking point for a lot of riders. That's where a mis-sized frame or the wrong saddle etc. starts to hurt,but everyone differs.

jhuskey said:
A mis-sized frame causes you to move the seat post up or down to extremes which can throw off the intended angle of your body in relation to the contact point such as the bars.
This can cause a lot of discomfort on a longer ride.
Twenty miles seems to be the breaking point for a lot of riders. That's where a mis-sized frame or the wrong saddle etc. starts to hurt,but everyone differs.
I've been told that the front wheel interference to the tip of the shoe can be due to a short wheel base frame such on racing frames vs a longer wheel base frame used more on touring frames. I went from a 57cm Bianch Giro that was a bit big for me to a 55cm Litespeed Ultimate which fits me well except I have the shoe tip interference with the front wheel when I do unusually tight turns although I've never experienced any interference during a normal ride. Just my 2 cents worth.

If it is a true compact frame it may only be a half size small. Try with a 120mm stem. Are the cranks the right length, 175mm or 170mm? Check the wheelbase of both sizes.

meehs said:
Chances are if you bought a frame that's the correct size for you the toe overlap issue would go away and you almost certainly wouldn't have to run an overly long stem to compensate for a top tube that's too short.

Spinning the bike around the block isn't really enough of a test to determine if you'd be comfortable on the bike for the long haul. Don't buy it. I think you'd be better off spending the same $ on a bike that's a step down but that fits you properly.
Toe overlap is not a result of too small of a frame, but of a short wheelbase (or more specifically a short front-center). An appropriately sized rider of the same bike with big feet would have the same issue. In general the wheel never turns far enough during riding to ever hit the foot.

Otherwise I agree that buying an incorrectly fitting bike because of a low price is not a bargain.

If the only issue with this bike for this rider is 2cm of stem length and the starting stem size is not 13cm, I think that he is quite close on fit.

A 50 cm frame is on the small size and toe overlap would be almost expected.

sergen said:

Many thanks

Although you can extend the stem to get the correct distance from seat to handlebars the seat tube angle (73.5 degrees or greater according to their web site) on the small frame will probably not allow you to get far enough back relative to the pedals. Even the next size up may not be big enough unless your body proportion is irregular.

mitosis said:
Although you can extend the stem to get the correct distance from seat to handlebars the seat tube angle (73.5 degrees or greater according to their web site) on the small frame will probably not allow you to get far enough back relative to the pedals. Even the next size up may not be big enough unless your body proportion is irregular.

As it happens my body proportions are quite irregular - I suppose you could say that I'm mainly 'upper body' (178 cms height, 82.5 cms inseam). Would this suggest I need a frame with a longer than average top tube length?

sergen said:
As it happens my body proportions are quite irregular - I suppose you could say that I'm mainly 'upper body' (178 cms height, 82.5 cms inseam). Would this suggest I need a frame with a longer than average top tube length?

Yeah, but the only way you are going to know is if you get yourself measured up - there are many fit calculators on the net.

My gut feel is that the 50 is one size too small.

I ride a 49 cm frame, and my toe hits the front wheel on tight turns, too. By tight, I mean the kind of turns that are only possible at speeds comparable to walking speed. So, I agree that such behavior appears to be normal on small, racing-type frames (short wheel-base, small clearance of the wheel to the top of the fork, etc).