was your bike ever stolen?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by ludwigmass, Jul 4, 2014.

1. ludwigmass

ludwigmass New Member

If you have tips for a newbie (for instance, should I get 2 locks?) or anything that comes to your mind, please share

Tags:

2. ambal

ambal Active Member

Nope never lost a bike like that. I have mine covered by insurance and keep it in either a locked house or locked garage.

3. Nitefeatherz

Nitefeatherz New Member

I had a guy try to walk off with mine while I was standing right next to it. (Next to as in "less than twelve inches". Obviously well-off guy who thought he was hot stuff. He claimed (even though it was leaning against my minivan, with the hatch and all the doors open,) that since no one was holding it, and they "obviously walked away they didn't want it", that he was going to "take it and sell it since it's obviously worth like $200 on craigslist".

Told him it was theft since I'm obviously near the bike and it's against MY car while I am getting my bike rack out and if he tried it I was calling the police and that it was a real nice try. His g/f who was with him was horrified. He didn't seem to understand why I didn't think it was funny. I never saw them at that park again.

I don't ever leave my bike unattended since I've had more than one person come up to take it while I was standing next to it. (Standing next to with the bike leaning against an open car, just didn't have my hands literally ON the bike. Apparently this counts as "left behind and didn't want".)

4. plex

plex New Member

One mistake people always make is leaving their bike unlocked in their backyard or on their porch.
    I had my bike stolen right out of the garage in my back yard (granted it was open).
    So many of my friends have had their bikes stolen from their property because they thought it was safe at home.
    People are bold and look for this kind of thing and if it is not inside your house or locked up it is not safe!
    Don't make this mistake!

5. chuck68429

chuck68429 New Member

I had one stolen many years ago when I was a kid. I left it unlocked when I went into the store, I came out and it was gone. It was just a Huffy but I was really pissed! I've never left my bike unlocked or unattended since.

6. yuhuanjoan

yuhuanjoan New Member

Yes, When I am a middle school student. I remember it had locked, but maybe unlocked. At that time, this makes me very sad[​IMG]. I like my bike.

7. GeoTo

GeoTo New Member

my sister used to take the front wheel off everytime when she lived in London. She was just mad of it being stolen every few months or so.

8. goldenmaine

goldenmaine New Member

I have not gotten my bike stolen yet because I use a lock on it every time I go and commute. In our house, I also park it inside just to be safe. Getting to locks would be okay but one I think is enough. I use only one but it is a nice brand of lock that does not easily get broken. I also park in secure areas where there are a lot of people or a guard so that it will not be prone to being stolen.

9. BrockJohn

BrockJohn New Member

Bikes are constantly stolen where I live (in Denmark), it's fairly atrocious, I've mentioned it previously, but sometimes people will just steal a bike to bike like 3 blocks, it's incredibly inconsiderate and pointless

10. OGRICHBOI

OGRICHBOI New Member

This is probably one of my worst fears. Although it has never happened to me personally, my friend's bike got stolen once. He was extremely sad and regretted leaving it in a not so safe neighborhood. Fortunately, he found his bike in someone's lawn, and with my help we got it back. If you do lose your bike, contact the police and hopefully they can help you.

11. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Member

I'm pretty sure I wrote about this before but YES. Now, mind you, a person can attach two locks however if they remove the foundation of what you're locked to you're pretty screwed. I think the best advice I can give you is lock up in a WELL populated area. It at least increases the chances that you can avoid people ignoring the theft & mayeb (if they're not so ballsy) it'll make them think twice about taking it.

12. lectraplayer

lectraplayer Member

I've had one disappear from the back of my pickup one day. It was tied down and had a lock on it. Another bike vanished from my basement. Normally,things don't just vanish from where I live.

13. Kiprasn

Kiprasn New Member

There is no lock that cant be forced open or cut off. Best option is not to leave your bike on open areas, especially in the areas where you know people might steal your bike. Keep it safely in a locked garage, don't leave it overnight outside. My bike is always in the house, so I havent had it stolen, hopefully that will never happen.. Also good luck to everyone!

14. Lizel

Lizel Active Member

Yes, it was, and sadly it was an expensive bike, I only went to the shop and my friend ws supposed to mind it, but somebody called her and caught her attention and at that time stole my bike.

15. DancingLady

DancingLady Member

Fortunately I have not had to deal with this, but I know of a number of people who have when they were in college. For some reason college campuses seem to have the highest rate of bike theft, and the even crazier thing is I know of two people who later saw their bikes being used by someone else on the very same capus. I don't think either was able to get their bike back because they did not have a way to prove that it was theirs to begin with. That's why it's so important to register your bike with your local police. That way you can prove it is yours should this happen to you.

16. stevegreer

stevegreer Member

Never had one stolen. I keep all of my bikes inside my house, and I never leave them unattended when I am out for a ride.

But to answer your question, a lock is a good deterrent, but is not 100% protection against theft. If you do have to leave your bike parked outside for any extended period of time, you might also try popping the front wheel off, running the chain/lock through it in a way that will keep it from being taken (thieves are stupid, front wheels, and front wheels alone, have been stolen plenty of times before), and completely derailing the chain off of the cassette and chain ring will help deter thieves even more. Normally, when someone steals a bike they have a very limited amount of time to do their deed and make a get-a-way. And since they will normally ride off on the bike, having to take the time to either pick the lock or cut the chain, and then having to put the wheel back on and put the chain back on the cassette and chain ring will be too time consuming and possibly make the thief search out an easier target.

17. slack tidings

slack tidings Member

when i was a kid some thugs stole my bmx bike and wrapped it around the monkey bars :(

18. Connie858

Connie858 New Member

I've never had a bike stolen but I won't leave a bike anywhere where I am not happy and I always lock it with 2 different locks. I am also careful to ensure that if I can and if I have a choice that my bike is closer to a security camera than further away, so if the bike stands have a security camera side on, then I will try to find a place to lock my bike closer to that security camera than further away. But the end truth is that I don't live or work in a city, only towns, my bikes are pretty distinctive and not exactly easy to sell on if you know nothing about bikes that is and I am very careful. I have even been known to take my bike into the supermarket with me and if stopped by security tell them I am not happy with someone hanging around the bike rack or not happy with the lack of security around the supermarket and if the security guard wants to ensure its safety, I'll leave it with them or customer services... they usually have no issues with me taking the bike around the shop. Otherwise with small shops, I will just leave it by the cashiers desk after speaking with them - its not normally a problem if you approach the situation correctly and politely. Sometimes the cashier will just get the bits I want for me, run them through the till and come over an to the bike whilst I put my card in and put my pin code in... we usually work it out.

19. HomeAtLast

HomeAtLast New Member

I have had my bike stolen three times, yes.

Once by crackheads, once by speed freaks, and once by heroin addicts. Craigslist is NOT the best place to look for roommates.

I went over the handlebars once, when I ran into a weaving, stumblebum drunk on Harvard Avenue, on my way to buy weed.

Live strong, and CHEERS!

20. cityhunter5555

cityhunter5555 New Member

i thought you were from india..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNGZo5gn_tc