Wasdale Head road closure

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by The Reids, Sep 22, 2005.

  1. The Reids

    The Reids Guest

    Wasdale Head road will be closed from approx 14 November to some
    time in January, opening within that time for Xmas till 3 Jan.
    --
    Mike Reid
    Walk-eat-UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site

    Tags:

  2. Lynda

    Lynda Guest

    Just out of interest, having returned from Wasdale recently - is that
    THE road in, i.e the only road in with Wast Water aside it? I guess it
    can't be but that made me curious as to what was Wasdale Head road.

    Thanks

    Lynda

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:15:30 +0100, The Reids
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Wasdale Head road will be closed from approx 14 November to some
    >time in January, opening within that time for Xmas till 3 Jan.

  3. Towser

    Towser Guest

    And what will the Wasdale Head Inn be doing during that time?

    "Lynda" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just out of interest, having returned from Wasdale recently - is that
    > THE road in, i.e the only road in with Wast Water aside it? I guess it
    > can't be but that made me curious as to what was Wasdale Head road.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Lynda
    >
    > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:15:30 +0100, The Reids
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Wasdale Head road will be closed from approx 14 November to some
    > >time in January, opening within that time for Xmas till 3 Jan.

  4. The Reids

    The Reids Guest

    Following up to Lynda

    >Just out of interest, having returned from Wasdale recently - is that
    >THE road in, i.e the only road in with Wast Water aside it? I guess it
    >can't be but that made me curious as to what was Wasdale Head road.

    Yes, *the* road, the hotel just told me I would not be albe to
    visit after Jan 3rd. I'm trying to get more info from Cumbria CC.
    --
    Mike Reid
    Walk-eat-UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site
    Walk-eat-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all, it's a spamtrap
    Photos of both "http://www.lawn-mower-man.co.uk"

  5. Lynda

    Lynda Guest

    What are they doing? Road repairs? I visited Wasdale and left
    Nottingham to get away from all that :) I'd be interested to see what
    Cumbria CC say, thanks for your reply and what about the people who
    live there? (Having stayed in a splendid B & B at the end of the
    road!!)

    Lynda

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:01:54 +0100, The Reids
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Following up to Lynda
    >
    >>Just out of interest, having returned from Wasdale recently - is that
    >>THE road in, i.e the only road in with Wast Water aside it? I guess it
    >>can't be but that made me curious as to what was Wasdale Head road.

    >Yes, *the* road, the hotel just told me I would not be albe to
    >visit after Jan 3rd. I'm trying to get more info from Cumbria CC.

  6. Gordon Burns

    Gordon Burns Guest

    The road is being completely resurfaced. The top surface is being removed,
    and a completely new top surface is being put down. This work has been put
    off for some years, and only patch repairs have been made. Anyone who has
    driven down there recently will know all about the badly repaired potholes
    etc. Finally it has been decided to bite the bullet. The work has been
    scheduled for various times during the summer, but finally the council has
    seen sense (difficult to believe of any council, I know), and agreed to
    close the road out of season.
    The road will be closed from Monday morning until Friday lunchtime, and
    unless some major problems appear will be passable, with care, all the way
    to Wasdale Head at weekends, and Xmas.
    The hotel will be open, but obviously won't be doing very much business
    except at weekends.
    This has been well posted elsewhere for some time now.

    "The Reids" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Wasdale Head road will be closed from approx 14 November to some
    > time in January, opening within that time for Xmas till 3 Jan.
    > --
    > Mike Reid
    > Walk-eat-UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site
    > Walk-eat-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all, it's a
    > spamtrap
    > Photos of both "http://www.lawn-mower-man.co.uk"

  7. Lynda

    Lynda Guest

    Thank you - I had no idea, there was a possibility I would be going
    back in November so cheers for the info.

    Lynda

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:22:23 +0100, "Gordon Burns"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The road is being completely resurfaced. The top surface is being removed,
    >and a completely new top surface is being put down. This work has been put
    >off for some years, and only patch repairs have been made. Anyone who has
    >driven down there recently will know all about the badly repaired potholes
    >etc. Finally it has been decided to bite the bullet. The work has been
    >scheduled for various times during the summer, but finally the council has
    >seen sense (difficult to believe of any council, I know), and agreed to
    >close the road out of season.
    >The road will be closed from Monday morning until Friday lunchtime, and
    >unless some major problems appear will be passable, with care, all the way
    >to Wasdale Head at weekends, and Xmas.
    >The hotel will be open, but obviously won't be doing very much business
    >except at weekends.
    >This has been well posted elsewhere for some time now.
    >

    >"The Reids" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Wasdale Head road will be closed from approx 14 November to some
    >> time in January, opening within that time for Xmas till 3 Jan.
    >> --
    >> Mike Reid
    >> Walk-eat-UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site
    >> Walk-eat-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all, it's a
    >> spamtrap
    >> Photos of both "http://www.lawn-mower-man.co.uk"

  8. In message <[email protected]>
    Lynda <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What are they doing? Road repairs? I visited Wasdale and left
    > Nottingham to get away from all that :) I'd be interested to see what
    > Cumbria CC say, thanks for your reply and what about the people who
    > live there? (Having stayed in a splendid B & B at the end of the
    > road!!)

    If you're in the northern Lakes it's quicker to get to Wasdale Head on
    foot than to drive anyway!

    --
    Simon Challands

  9. In message <[email protected]>
    "Gordon Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The road is being completely resurfaced. The top surface is being removed,
    > and a completely new top surface is being put down. This work has been put
    > off for some years, and only patch repairs have been made. Anyone who has
    > driven down there recently will know all about the badly repaired potholes
    > etc. Finally it has been decided to bite the bullet. The work has been
    > scheduled for various times during the summer, but finally the council has
    > seen sense (difficult to believe of any council, I know), and agreed to
    > close the road out of season.
    > The road will be closed from Monday morning until Friday lunchtime, and
    > unless some major problems appear will be passable, with care, all the way
    > to Wasdale Head at weekends, and Xmas.
    > The hotel will be open, but obviously won't be doing very much business
    > except at weekends.
    > This has been well posted elsewhere for some time now.

    Sounds like pretty tough luck for the hotel, and for the few people
    who live up there.

    --
    Simon Challands

  10. The Reids

    The Reids Guest

    Following up to Gordon Burns

    >The hotel will be open, but obviously won't be doing very much business
    >except at weekends.

    I didn't get that impression, I'll double check what the
    situation is to be.

    >This has been well posted elsewhere for some time now.

    but not here?
    --
    Mike Reid
    Walk-eat-UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site
    Walk-eat-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all, it's a spamtrap
    Photos of both "http://www.lawn-mower-man.co.uk"

  11. The Reids

    The Reids Guest

    Following up to Simon Challands

    >Sounds like pretty tough luck for the hotel, and for the few people
    >who live up there.

    when I worked in local government you used to get compensation
    for disruption from road works, assume you still do.
    I was thinking of going in at the weekend and just staying to the
    next one, but the bar will obviously be closed?
    --
    Mike Reid
    Walk-eat-UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site
    Walk-eat-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all, it's a spamtrap
    Photos of both "http://www.lawn-mower-man.co.uk"

  12. Gordon Burns

    Gordon Burns Guest

    ">>This has been well posted elsewhere for some time now.

    > but not here?

    As the original closure was supposed to be in April, and has been proposed
    for at least two other occasions since, this can hardly be classed as news.

  13. The Reids

    The Reids Guest

    Following up to The Reids

    >I didn't get that impression, I'll double check what the
    >situation is to be.

    I just spoke to Howard Christie and his current plan is to open
    at weekends only during the closure. The school bus will be going
    through morning and evening but weekdays daytime the road will be
    closed. It would be difficult to receive hotel deliveries on the
    early and late only basis. 3rd January is the current planned
    restart date after Xmas/New Year. I'll post any response I get
    from Cumbria, hopefully they can give me an info link I can put
    on my Wasdale pages.
    --
    Mike Reid
    Wasdale "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk/page01.htm"

  14. Mark Manning

    Mark Manning Guest

    The Reids <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I just spoke to Howard Christie and his current plan is to open
    > at weekends only during the closure.

    Bummer! I'd booked a few nights at the Inn (starting midweek)
    to celebrate my 50th birthday. But, in fairness, the road has needed work
    for a very long time.
    Mark
    --
    Mark Manning [email protected]

  15. Mike Clark

    Mike Clark Guest

    In message <[email protected]>
    Simon Challands <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In message <[email protected]>
    > "Gordon Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > The road is being completely resurfaced. The top surface is being
    > > removed, and a completely new top surface is being put down. This
    > > work has been put off for some years, and only patch repairs have
    > > been made. Anyone who has driven down there recently will know all
    > > about the badly repaired potholes etc. Finally it has been decided
    > > to bite the bullet. The work has been scheduled for various times
    > > during the summer, but finally the council has seen sense (difficult
    > > to believe of any council, I know), and agreed to close the road out
    > > of season. The road will be closed from Monday morning until Friday
    > > lunchtime, and unless some major problems appear will be passable,
    > > with care, all the way to Wasdale Head at weekends, and Xmas. The
    > > hotel will be open, but obviously won't be doing very much business
    > > except at weekends. This has been well posted elsewhere for some
    > > time now.

    > Sounds like pretty tough luck for the hotel, and for the few people
    > who live up there.

    Some of them might think it is a pity that the road closure wasn't timed
    to coincide with the rush of 3 Peaks events.

    ;-)

    --
    o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
    <\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,

  16. The Reids

    The Reids Guest

    Following up to Gordon Burns

    >> but not here?

    >As the original closure was supposed to be in April, and has been proposed
    >for at least two other occasions since, this can hardly be classed as news.

    Why not? Just because its been in the pipeline before doesn't
    mean we don't need to know the current dates if we walk in
    Wasdale.
    --
    Mike Reid
    Walk-eat-UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site
    Walk-eat-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all, it's a spamtrap
    Photos of both "http://www.lawn-mower-man.co.uk"

  17. The Reids

    The Reids Guest

    Following up to Mark Manning

    >> I just spoke to Howard Christie and his current plan is to open
    >> at weekends only during the closure.

    > Bummer! I'd booked a few nights at the Inn (starting midweek)
    >to celebrate my 50th birthday. But, in fairness, the road has needed work
    >for a very long time.
    > Mark

    I know, I always go for a week in January, its great, it always
    rains all the time so I don't have to do any tedious walking.
    I've booked new year for five of the days they are open, god
    knows how much more expensive it will be than normal dates. AND
    I'll probably have to be in the pub at midnight kissing all the
    girls a happy new year. Life's a bitch sometimes.
    --
    Mike Reid
    Wasdale picture gallery

  18. Richard Webb

    Richard Webb Guest

    >Some of them might think it is a pity that the road closure wasn't timed
    >to coincide with the rush of 3 Peaks events.

    Seathwaite folk would sue them

    Richard Webb

  19. On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:28:54 +0100, "Gordon Burns"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >As the original closure was supposed to be in April, and has been proposed
    >for at least two other occasions since, this can hardly be classed as news.

    The fact that it's actually happening rather than just being suggested
    is certainly news to me, and to most others I'd have thought!

    --
    Oppose ID cards and the database state - sign the pledge at
    http://www.pledgebank.com/refuse

  20. Richard Webb

    Richard Webb Guest

    Err... This is really going to spoil the day of those who start in
    Borrowdale and come down Scafell Pike the wrong way.....

    And the local taxi companies

    Richard Webb