Washers for FSA Cranksets

D'ohBoy

Guest
Just got a new bike for my father and the washers that come with the
FSA SLK crankset weren't with the crank.

I know some say these are superfluous but I would like to have them as
FSA believes that they are necessary. Are they a standard size washer
or do I have to get them from an LBS or FSA directly?

TIA

D'ohBoy

On Jul 26, 9:43 am, D'ohBoy <[email protected]> wrote:
> Just got a new bike for my father and the washers that come with the
> FSA SLK crankset weren't with the crank.
>
> I know some say these are superfluous but I would like to have them as
> FSA believes that they are necessary. Are they a standard size washer
> or do I have to get them from an LBS or FSA directly?
>
> TIA
>
> D'ohBoy

To clarify my purpose - don't care to discuss their utility or
necessity, but rather just wanna know the size.

TIA

D'ohBoy

D'ohBoy wrote:
> Just got a new bike for my father and the washers that come with the
> FSA SLK crankset weren't with the crank.
>
> I know some say these are superfluous but I would like to have them as
> FSA believes that they are necessary. Are they a standard size washer
> or do I have to get them from an LBS or FSA directly?

Pedal washers? A commodity -- cheap at any competent LBS. Perhaps even
free if you're buying something else. . .

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Jul 26, 8:43 am, D'ohBoy <[email protected]> wrote:
> Just got a new bike for my father and the washers that come with the
> FSA SLK crankset weren't with the crank.
>
> I know some say these are superfluous but I would like to have them as
> FSA believes that they are necessary. Are they a standard size washer
> or do I have to get them from an LBS or FSA directly?
>
> TIA
>
> D'ohBoy

VERY important on these cranks. Probably a normal enough washer but
any decent bike shop should have them. If ya can't find them, we have
'em.

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 07:56:48 -0700, D'ohBoy <[email protected]>
wrote:

>To clarify my purpose - don't care to discuss their utility or
>necessity, but rather just wanna know the size.
>
>TIA
>
>D'ohBoy

Homer (or would you be Bart?):

I can't answer your question (raising the issue of why I am posting
:) but if it's just a simple pedal shaft to crank washer, there's a
guy on Ebay who sells "TA" stainless washers, very thin, 9/16 bore,
maybe 3mm wide. I was going to source them myself but then I realized
it made a lot more sense to send him $3 for a set since they are not a
local hardware item. I can dig out his address if you need it... I
think.

On Jul 26, 12:43 pm, still me <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 07:56:48 -0700, D'ohBoy <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >To clarify my purpose - don't care to discuss their utility or
> >necessity, but rather just wanna know the size.

> >TIA

> >D'ohBoy

> Homer (or would you be Bart?):
>
> I can't answer your question (raising the issue of why I am posting
> :) but if it's just a simple pedal shaft to crank washer, there's a
> guy on Ebay who sells "TA" stainless washers, very thin, 9/16 bore,
> maybe 3mm wide. I was going to source them myself but then I realized
> it made a lot more sense to send him $3 for a set since they are not a
> local hardware item. I can dig out his address if you need it... I
> think.

Will buy a set locally - thanks to all for their input!

D'ohBoy, who is neither Homer nor Bart, but rather an amalgam of the
many references therein, some more obscure than others

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:02:18 -0700, D'ohBoy <[email protected]>
wrote:

>D'ohBoy, who is neither Homer nor Bart, but rather an amalgam of the
>many references therein, some more obscure than others

I still might have to call you Homer.

still me wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:02:18 -0700, D'ohBoy <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >D'ohBoy, who is neither Homer nor Bart, but rather an amalgam of the
> >many references therein, some more obscure than others

> I still might have to call you Homer.

whatever ;)

D'ohBoy

On Jul 26, 9:43 am, D'ohBoy <[email protected]> wrote:
> Just got a new bike for my father and the washers that come with the
> FSA SLK crankset weren't with the crank.
>
> I know some say these are superfluous but I would like to have them as
> FSA believes that they are necessary. Are they a standard size washer
> or do I have to get them from an LBS or FSA directly?
>
> TIA
>
> D'ohBoy

FSA says required for carbon cranksets but not for alloy and will not
be included in alloy sets sold in the future.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/downloads/pedal washer update.pdf

Wayne

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:05:57 -0700, Wayne <[email protected]>
wrote:

>FSA says required for carbon cranksets but not for alloy and will not
>be included in alloy sets sold in the future.

that extra .22 cents/crankset must have been doing a number on the
bottom line. Good thing pedal/crankarm wear doesn't really exist or
their position would seem shortsighted and perhaps even somewhat
idiotic.