Washing clothes - Fabric conditioner

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Biggles, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Biggles

    Biggles Guest

    Hi All,

    Does anybody know why most of my walking kit's washing
    instructions say avaiod Fabric Conditioners?

    Paul

    Tags:

  2. Biggles

    Biggles Guest

    Hi John,

    Why is that?

    Paul "John and Pauline at Thornbury"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:e9%[email protected]
    binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
    > Hello, Try ignoring this instruction! You will be sorry.
    > John. http://www.pbase.com/john28july
    >

    > --
    > No direct reply option available. "Biggles"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > gui.server.ntli.net...
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > Does anybody know why most of my walking kit's washing
    > > instructions say avaiod Fabric Conditioners?
    > >
    > > Paul

  3. Mr Magoo

    Mr Magoo Guest

    I believe it compromises the water repellence of fabrics,
    acting like a wetting agent . Any rain that lands on the
    surface instead of forming a globule soaks in to the fibres.
    Not just with fibres - membranes like goretex etc don't like
    it either.

    DDM

    "Biggles" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    gui.server.ntli.net...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Does anybody know why most of my walking kit's washing
    > instructions say avaiod Fabric Conditioners?
    >
    > Paul

  4. Bryan Hall

    Bryan Hall Guest

    Yep that's true

    Handwash and keep away to all detergents if u can avoid it,
    otherwise it's out with the Fabsil afterwards ;-(

  5. I see the answers are already coming in!
    All outdoor clothing benefits a clean NON bio wash. No conditioners as it
    damages the water repelancy and the sweat repelency of most garments too. My
    wife only once made the mistake!
    John.
    http://www.pbase.com/john28july

    --
    No direct reply option available. "Biggles"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:FF%[email protected]
    gui.server.ntli.net...
    > Hi John,
    >
    > Why is that?
    >
    > Paul "John and Pauline at Thornbury"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:e9%[email protected]
    > binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
    > > Hello, Try ignoring this instruction! You will be sorry.
    > > John. http://www.pbase.com/john28july
    > >

    > > --
    > > No direct reply option available. "Biggles"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > gui.server.ntli.net...
    > > > Hi All,
    > > >
    > > > Does anybody know why most of my walking kit's washing
    > > > instructions
    say
    > > > avaiod Fabric Conditioners?
    > > >
    > > > Paul

  6. On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:36:08 -0000, "Bryan Hall"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Handwash

    Why? None of my outdoor stuff recommends handwashing.

  7. On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Simon Caldwell wrote:

    > >Handwash
    >
    > Why? None of my outdoor stuff recommends handwashing.

    I throw the lot in the machine on 30 degrees with a couple
    of non-bio tablets and no conditioner and they wash up
    well and have remained okay outdoors. I have trousers
    which are kind of fleecy and they aren't waterproof anyway
    but they do keep you warm even if wet, and dry quickly
    once it stops raining.

    --
    Chris

  8. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:59:35 -0000, "Biggles"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anybody know why most of my walking kit's washing
    >instructions say avaiod Fabric Conditioners?

    erm, not exactly sure of the full technical story on this
    but I think fabric conditioners do something at the
    molecular level that revolves around reducing electrical
    charge between fibres, molecules, etc.. The upside of which
    your clothes feel softer, the downside of which they lose
    their [natural] water repelancy.

    SteveO

    NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
    http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

    NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

  9. Steve

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anybody know why most of my walking kit's washing
    >instructions say avaiod Fabric Conditioners?

    erm, not exactly sure of the full technical story on this
    but I think fabric conditioners do something at the
    molecular level that revolves around reducing electrical
    charge between fibres, molecules, etc.. The upside of which
    your clothes feel softer, the downside of which they lose
    their [natural] water repelancy.

    SteveO

    NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
    http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

    NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

  10. Steve

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anybody know why most of my walking kit's washing
    >instructions say avaiod Fabric Conditioners?

    erm, not exactly sure of the full technical story on this
    but I think fabric conditioners do something at the
    molecular level that revolves around reducing electrical
    charge between fibres, molecules, etc.. The upside of which
    your clothes feel softer, the downside of which they lose
    their [natural] water repelancy.

    SteveO

    NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
    http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

    NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

  11. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

    Following up to Biggles

    >Does anybody know why most of my walking kit's washing
    >instructions say avaiod Fabric Conditioners?

    whatever it is the conditioner does to things like Patagonia
    wicking underwear b****** the wicking. sorry to be so
    technical. Note some washing powders now have built in
    conditioner, so read the small print.
    --
    Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
    Walking, Wasdale, Thames path, London etc

  12. On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, it was written:

    > erm, not exactly sure of the full technical story on this
    > but I think fabric conditioners do something at the
    > molecular level that revolves around reducing electrical
    > charge between fibres, molecules, etc.. The upside of
    > which your clothes feel softer, the downside of which they
    > lose their [natural] water repelancy.

    Out of interest if clothes are accidentally washed with
    fabric conditioner and lose their natural water repellance
    is there a way to restore it? Are we talking about fabrics
    which cause water to bead and roll off (canvas type fabric)
    or other, more fleecy fabrics which are water resistant but
    which still absorb water to a degree?

    I have some fleecy Polartec walking trousers which state
    not to use conditioner but they are not water repellant to
    any great degree and easily become wet (and dry quickly)
    if it rains. How would washing with conditioner affect
    those and what remedial action could be taken if it
    happened by accident?

    --
    Chris