washing handlebar tape?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mathias Koerber, Jul 17, 2004.

  1. Does anyone have experience with washing handlebar tape (Profile
    design cork)? Mine has gone quite dirty within a few months
    of use, and I would like to not have to buy new one often.

    So, can it be washed in the machine or by hand? Any recommendations
    caveats etc?

    thanks

    Tags:

  2. On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 19:25:24 +0800, "Mathias Koerber"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone have experience with washing handlebar tape (Profile
    >design cork)? Mine has gone quite dirty within a few months
    >of use, and I would like to not have to buy new one often.
    >
    >So, can it be washed in the machine or by hand? Any recommendations
    >caveats etc?

    What kind of machine are you thinking of?

    JT

  3. "Mathias Koerber" wrote:

    > Does anyone have experience with washing handlebar tape (Profile
    > design cork)? Mine has gone quite dirty within a few months
    > of use, and I would like to not have to buy new one often.
    >
    > So, can it be washed in the machine or by hand? Any recommendations
    > caveats etc?

    I used to just clean in on the bike. Now I use only black tape.

    Art Harris

  4. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone have experience with washing handlebar tape (Profile
    >design cork)? Mine has gone quite dirty within a few months
    >of use, and I would like to not have to buy new one often.
    >
    >So, can it be washed in the machine or by hand? Any recommendations
    >caveats etc?
    >
    >thanks

    Hi, I recently got some grease on my red tape. I used some Goo gone on
    a rag and it cleaned them right up.
    I would try an area on the bottom first, if satisfied, then do the
    rest.
    I certainly wouldn't remove it. By the way, I just bought a spare box
    of Profile tape, I ordered it online from REI, and had it sent to the
    local store. It was only about $9. So I plan to replace, as needed.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  5. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    "Mathias Koerber" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Does anyone have experience with washing handlebar tape (Profile
    > design cork)? Mine has gone quite dirty within a few months of use,
    > and I would like to not have to buy new one often.
    >
    > So, can it be washed in the machine or by hand? Any recommendations
    > caveats etc?

    Take a rag. Soak it in water, wring it out, and wash the bar tape.
    It's as simple as can be, and works well. If the tape has gotten
    greasy from skin oils, sweat, chain grease, road schmutz, sunscreen,
    etc. then a little soap in the rag works wonders, followed by a rinse
    with a rag with clean water.

  6. Jpinkowish

    Jpinkowish Guest

    >Does anyone have experience with washing handlebar tape (Profile
    >design cork)? Mine has gone quite dirty within a few months
    >of use, and I would like to not have to buy new one often.

    Use isopropyl alcohol from any chain drug or food store. Either 80% or 91%
    variety will work. It very effectively removes all types of schmutz without
    stripping the color out of the bar tape. Also is effective on brake lever
    hoods without drying out the hood.

    Use paper towels without color printed patterns, as isopropyl dissolves that
    ink. Get the towel fairly wet with the iso-p and twist clean away. The iso-p
    evaporates in a minute or two.

    HTH

    Jan Pinkowish

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    says...

    >Does anyone have experience with washing handlebar tape (Profile
    >design cork)? Mine has gone quite dirty within a few months
    >of use, and I would like to not have to buy new one often.
    >
    >So, can it be washed in the machine or by hand? Any recommendations
    >caveats etc?

    I use Fantastik and a paper towel. Works well for me.
    --------------
    Alex

  8. Arthur Harris <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Mathias Koerber" wrote:
    >>Does anyone have experience with washing handlebar tape (Profile
    >>design cork)?

    >I used to just clean in on the bike. Now I use only black tape.

    That's the top tip. Black tape, brake hoods, saddle, shorts... way easier.

  9. > Does anyone have experience with washing handlebar tape (Profile
    > design cork)? Mine has gone quite dirty within a few months
    > of use, and I would like to not have to buy new one often.
    >
    > So, can it be washed in the machine or by hand? Any recommendations
    > caveats etc?

    You can sort of wash it on the bike. And I do mean sort of. Regular
    soap and water will delay the inevitable dingy look. But your choices
    are really either 1. use black tape or 2. consider the dingy tape a
    badge of honor that you rode your bike enough to get it to look used.

  10. Jee Doy

    Jee Doy Guest

    > But your choices
    >are really either 1. use black tape or 2. consider the dingy tape a
    >badge of honor that you rode your bike enough to get it to look used.

    Along with the tape, the gloves get dirty and smelly.

  11. Weisse Luft

    Weisse Luft New Member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2004
    Messages:
    1,306
    Cork tape without adhesive CAN be removed and washed, delicate cycle in a mesh bag, in your washing machine. Sort by color, no bleach, warm and no dryer. Let air dry, then reinstall. Works well for 2-3 uses until it starts to warp or it breaks.

  12. [email protected] (Jee Doy) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > But your choices
    > >are really either 1. use black tape or 2. consider the dingy tape a
    > >badge of honor that you rode your bike enough to get it to look used.
    > >

    > Along with the tape, the gloves get dirty and smelly.

    Yes. Every so often put the cycling gloves in the washing machine. I
    dry them by hanging on a hangar, not the dryer.

  13. Ed Chait

    Ed Chait Guest

    "Russell Seaton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] (Jee Doy) wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > But your choices
    > > >are really either 1. use black tape or 2. consider the dingy tape a
    > > >badge of honor that you rode your bike enough to get it to look used.
    > > >

    > > Along with the tape, the gloves get dirty and smelly.

    > Yes. Every so often put the cycling gloves in the washing machine. I
    > dry them by hanging on a hangar, not the dryer.

    Rubbing alcohol and a soft brush works pretty well for cleaning bar tape.

    Ed Chait