Washing My bike?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by vladimir102, Sep 12, 2003.

1. vladimir102

vladimir102 New Member

i was wondering what and ow i should wash my bike. after every ride i blow it off with my air compresser. i would like any sort of step by step process. also i've read that i would need to relube the chain-how ad with what. thanks for ay help.

Tags:

2. gregneedham

gregneedham New Member

Yeah, I am a fanatic for a clean bike, and I polish as relaxation. But what is the best method for washing? I have used a new soft sponge, mild soap and then rinsed with a hose and wiped the bike down, but is there damage being done in areas I can't see or get to to wipe down?

Thanks for any advice.

3. pekingese

pekingese New Member

4. JohnO

JohnO New Member

I have found that polishing the bike with a wax type polish, not the polymer stuff, makes cleanup a lot easier. Dirt doesn't stick very well to polish, you can pretty much wipe it off with a damp towel if you've waxed it recently.

Sure makes the bike look good, too.

5. big_h

big_h New Member

Hi Guys

There is an product available form CycleLab a major South AFrican cycling concern called Biketech http://www.cyclelabshop.co.za/ you simply spray the foaming stuff on and then wash it off with water and viola!!!!!!!! a clean and I mean clean sparkling bike. This stuff really works. All left is then to lubricate the chain derrailleurs and ather points. I also use the blow function of my vaccum cleaner to "blow dry" my bikes. One WARNING though NEVER EVER USE A HIGH PRESSURE STREAM OF WATER TO WASH OR RINSE YOUR BIKE........ WATER WILL FIND ITS WAY INTO YOUR BEARINGS (Bottom bracket wheels headset pedals etc) and these bearings do not like water trapped in there. You WILL create eventual great damage!!!!!!!

Keep those clean bikes spinning!!!!!!!

6. gregneedham

gregneedham New Member

7. vladimir102

vladimir102 New Member

thanks everybody

8. vladimir102

vladimir102 New Member

how does this sound

-wet down my bike with a hose
    -using car soap and water wash the frame and wheels
    -rinse again
    -spray Grease Lightning on chain and gears
    -let sit and then rinse of after 2 mins
    -dry bike with air compressor and towel
    -put wd-40 on chain and gears
    -wax paint job

Does this sound like a good plan? If not what else.

Thanks in advance

9. jitteringjr

jitteringjr New Member

I can't imagine anyone recomending WD40 on a bike. Get some bike specific chain lube like Finish Line or White Lighting. These are dry lubes and will not collect dirt and other particles as quickly as oil based products.

10. vladimir102

vladimir102 New Member

so i lube the chain with chain lube, and grease the derailler pivots and brake pivots correct

11. Stellite

Stellite New Member

Just so you know, WD40 is not a lube but a solvent. So it cleans well and evacuates water, but offers no long term lubrication. Any good machine oil will work or even gun oil. But the bike oils work great.

A long time ago I heard lithium grease was great stuff and tried it on a bike. Big mistake. It took me a whole day to get that gunk off my bike. It had picked up all the dirt and sand from the road and attached it to every moving part of my bike. UGLY