Washing Shoes...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tacomaboy, Jun 2, 2003.

  1. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    Whats the best method to clean your shoes after a month or so of trial riding. They tend to get
    pretty funky and dirty... Any ideas?

    Tags:

  2. On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 23:56:20 GMT, "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    |Whats the best method to clean your shoes after a month or so of trial |riding. They tend to get
    pretty funky and dirty... Any ideas?

    I have never, ever, cleaned a pair of riding shoes.

    Just ride. Who cares if your shoes are dirty?

  3. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Tacomaboy wrote:
    > Whats the best method to clean your shoes after a month or so of trial riding. They tend to get
    > pretty funky and dirty... Any ideas?

    Hose them off if they're really caked with mud. Dry them in front of a fan. Try to plan it so
    they've got time to dry out completely before you wear them again.

    If they stink, try setting them out in the sun for a few hours with the laces undone and the tongue
    pulled out. I wouldn't put foot powder or anything like that in there. It'd be likely to turn to
    dough when it mixes with so much sweat from riding.

    Kathleen

  4. Danny

    Danny Guest

    Hmm.. With enough heat, you could make toe-bread to go with your toe jam.. An efficient and tasty
    trail snack! Danny ;-)

    "Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tacomaboy wrote:
    > > Whats the best method to clean your shoes after a month or so of trial riding. They tend to get
    > > pretty funky and dirty... Any ideas?
    > >

    > Hose them off if they're really caked with mud. Dry them in front of a fan. Try to plan it so
    > they've got time to dry out completely before you wear them again.
    >
    > If they stink, try setting them out in the sun for a few hours with the laces undone and the
    > tongue pulled out. I wouldn't put foot powder or anything like that in there. It'd be likely to
    > turn to dough when it mixes with so much sweat from riding.
    >
    > Kathleen

  5. Danny

    Danny Guest

    Ed. Note.. Upon second reading, (and after I posted of course), I realized that this may seem
    directed to Kathleen. It is not.. it is directed at all of us.. yes, even me. Your humble and
    irreverant nonsense poster.. Danny

    "Danny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hmm.. With enough heat, you could make toe-bread to go with your toe
    jam..
    > An efficient and tasty trail snack! Danny ;-)
    >
    > "Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Tacomaboy wrote:
    > > > Whats the best method to clean your shoes after a month or so of trial riding. They tend to
    > > > get pretty funky and dirty... Any ideas?
    > > >

    > > Hose them off if they're really caked with mud. Dry them in front of a fan. Try to plan it so
    > > they've got time to dry out completely before you wear them again.
    > >
    > > If they stink, try setting them out in the sun for a few hours with the laces undone and the
    > > tongue pulled out. I wouldn't put foot powder or anything like that in there. It'd be likely to
    > > turn to dough when it mixes with so much sweat from riding.
    > >
    > > Kathleen

  6. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Tacomaboy wrote:
    > Whats the best method to clean your shoes after a month or so of trial riding. They tend to get
    > pretty funky and dirty... Any ideas?

    Find some more water crossings! If they have any leather, it's best to wear 'em dry (vs. the sun or
    a fan) -- old Boy Scout hiking tip.

    David

  7. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    Tacomaboy wrote:
    > Whats the best method to clean your shoes after a month or so of trial riding. They tend to get
    > pretty funky and dirty... Any ideas?

    Ride till they fall off or evolve into something that can walk off on its own.

    Gyp
    P.S. Before they walk off try to remember to get the cleats back..

  8. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Tacomaboy thoughtfully penned:
    > Whats the best method to clean your shoes after a month or so of trial riding. They tend to get
    > pretty funky and dirty... Any ideas?

    1. wear clean socks for each ride.
    2. Whack them together to knock the dirt off.

    Penny

  9. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > Tacomaboy thoughtfully penned:
    > > Whats the best method to clean your shoes after a month or so of trial riding. They tend to get
    > > pretty funky and dirty... Any ideas?
    >
    > 1. wear clean socks for each ride.
    > 2. Whack them together to knock the dirt off.
    >
    > Penny

    But some people just have really wet feet. i put on a clean dry pair of socks before each ride, and
    by the time i get back, they are as rank as if i wore them for a week, and just as moist. needless
    to say, my shoes don't exactly smell like the finest French fragrance. they are just cheap sneaker
    though so i just toss them in the wash now and then.
    --
    ~Travis

  10. "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Whats the best method to clean your shoes after a month or so of trial riding. They tend to get
    > pretty funky and dirty... Any ideas?

    Try putting them inside a mesh laundry bag, the kind designed for 'delicates' (which these are not).
    I usually put them in, twist the bag and then wrap it over again. The double layer of bag keeps the
    metal bits front whacking away at the inside of the washer.

    We have a front load so it works well. With a top load I don't think it would work as well.

    RS

  11. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Technician thoughtfully penned:
    > Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    >> Tacomaboy thoughtfully penned:
    >>> Whats the best method to clean your shoes after a month or so of trial riding. They tend to get
    >>> pretty funky and dirty... Any ideas?
    >>
    >> 1. wear clean socks for each ride.
    >> 2. Whack them together to knock the dirt off.
    >>
    >> Penny
    >>

    > But some people just have really wet feet. i put on a clean dry pair of socks before each ride,
    > and by the time i get back, they are as rank as if i wore them for a week, and just as moist.
    > needless to say, my shoes don't exactly smell like the finest French fragrance. they are just
    > cheap sneaker though so i just toss them in the wash now and then.

    the only shoes you can really "wash" are sneaker types with fabric or synthetics, not leather. Throw
    'em in the washing maching on warm/cool and line or air dry. I have been know to put a lot of
    sneakers in the dryer without problems, but I sure wouldn't do this to bike shoes.

    Oh, and don't sniff your shoes.

    Penny

  12. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 23:56:20 GMT, Tacomaboy wrote:
    > Whats the best method to clean your shoes after a month or so of trial riding. They tend to get
    > pretty funky and dirty... Any ideas?

    How clean do they need to be? "Whacking them together", as Penny mentioned, is pretty much the
    entire cleaning regimen I've ever used.

  13. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > Technician thoughtfully penned:
    > > Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > >> Tacomaboy thoughtfully penned:
    > >>
    > >> 1. wear clean socks for each ride.
    > >> 2. Whack them together to knock the dirt off.
    > >>
    > >> Penny
    > >>

    > > But some people just have really wet feet. i put on a clean dry pair of socks before each ride,
    > > and by the time i get back, they are as rank as if i wore them for a week, and just as moist.
    > > needless to say, my shoes don't exactly smell like the finest French fragrance. they are just
    > > cheap sneaker though so i just toss them in the wash now and then.
    >
    > the only shoes you can really "wash" are sneaker types with fabric or synthetics, not leather.
    > Throw 'em in the washing maching on warm/cool and line or air dry. I have been know to put a lot
    > of sneakers in the dryer without problems, but I sure wouldn't do this to bike shoes.
    >
    > Oh, and don't sniff your shoes.
    >
    > Penny

    like i sad, they are just cheap sneakers so i don't worry about them. my front rapid-fire shifter
    cost more than these things.
    --
    ~Travis