Washington DC Cherry Blossoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jpfler

When biking from Vienna to DC on the Custis Trail what bridge crossing over the river is the best
way to get to the Tidal Basin? Thanks.

Jim

>When biking from Vienna to DC on the Custis Trail what bridge crossing over the river is the best
>way to get to the Tidal Basin? Thanks.

Memorial Bridge but you'll actually be riding the W&OD to the Custis and the MV trail to the
Memorial Bridge.

The Custis puts you at Key Bridge, which will take you into Georgetown, about two miles of heavy
street traffic on the DC side to the Tidal Basin from there.

Check out http://BikeWashington.org for the details, feel free to ask if you have other specific
questions.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

On 05 Apr 2003 02:59:34 GMT, [email protected] (Jpfler) wrote:

>When biking from Vienna to DC on the Custis Trail what bridge crossing over the river is the best
>way to get to the Tidal Basin? Thanks.
>
>Jim

When the Custiss trail ends, keep going straight and you will be at the start of the Mt Vernon
trail. Go past the Roosevelt (n.b. on the boardwalk the right lane goes up to the Roosevelt and the
left turn continues along the river - counterintuitive) and Memorial bridges. The next bridge is the
14th St. There's a path to the right that leads up to the sidewalk on the bridge. The Tidal Basin is
on the left as soon as you get off the bridge and you can loop around under the 14th St to go to
Hains Point..

It is possible to go over the Memorial but I've never found a safe route - you have to run across
the parkway and up a grassy hill. If anyone knows a good way to the Memorial from Rosslyn, I'd like
to know my ownself.

>If anyone knows a good way to the Memorial from Rosslyn, I'd like to know my ownself.

Continue on the MV under the Memorial. You'll see a right turn across the Parkway about 400 meters
down. Hang a right and you'll have two uncontrolled but rideable road crossings as you pass the
trees and the flowerbed on your way to the bridge.

The Memorial crossing is done on the south side of the bridge.

When you see the big brass horses you have two short road crossings that will put you in front of
the Lincoln Memorial in a traffic controlled zone. Easy as pie.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

Jim wrote:
>>When biking from Vienna to DC on the Custis Trail what bridge crossing over
>the
>>river is the best way to get to the Tidal Basin? Thanks

And Eric and jsherman gave directions and site to routes. Thanks. Going to enjoy the blossoms next
week via bike.

Jim

"Jpfler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Jim wrote:
> >>When biking from Vienna to DC on the Custis Trail what bridge crossing
over
> >the
> >>river is the best way to get to the Tidal Basin? Thanks
>
> And Eric and jsherman gave directions and site to routes. Thanks. Going
to
> enjoy the blossoms next week via bike.
>
> Jim

Just be careful. Lots of tourists not paying attention to bikes (or anything else for that matter!).

I used to ride from Ffx Circle to Haines Point every Tues and Thurs for the lunch ride. When the
trees were in bloom, there were a lot more close calls than any other time of the year.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.