Waste of a bike.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bill Baka, Apr 9, 2006.

  1. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    I was out riding between rain showers and saw one of the worst offenses
    of bicycle use I can think of. A local bus passed me and stopped a few
    hundred feet past me, then a guy got out and removed his bike from the
    front to ride the 3 blocks more to get home. The bus only goes about 7
    miles max, which is totally ridable, so I was kind of wondering why pay
    for the bus when he could have rode the 7 miles in about (maybe less) a
    half hour?
    It seems like getting the exercise and not paying for our local and
    somewhat expensive bus service would be better, than riding and waiting
    for a bus.
    The guy was only about 30 and had a good bike, not a super road bike,
    but it looked like a 27" general purpose.
    Another ?????
    Bill Baka

    Tags:

  2. Ken C. M.

    Ken C. M. Guest

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > I was out riding between rain showers and saw one of the worst offenses
    > of bicycle use I can think of. A local bus passed me and stopped a few
    > hundred feet past me, then a guy got out and removed his bike from the
    > front to ride the 3 blocks more to get home. The bus only goes about 7
    > miles max, which is totally ridable, so I was kind of wondering why pay
    > for the bus when he could have rode the 7 miles in about (maybe less) a
    > half hour?
    > It seems like getting the exercise and not paying for our local and
    > somewhat expensive bus service would be better, than riding and waiting
    > for a bus.
    > The guy was only about 30 and had a good bike, not a super road bike,
    > but it looked like a 27" general purpose.
    > Another ?????
    > Bill Baka

    Reminds me of the kids around here. They ride the bikes or scooters from
    home to the bus stop, lock them to the stop signs, get on the bus to
    school, then do the reverse on the afternoon. And the school is only a
    couple of miles from my neighborhood. And then people wonder why kids
    are getting fatter at an earlier age. When I was a kid I WANTED to ride
    the bike to school, all the "cool" kids did.

    Ken
    --
    A bicycle does get you there and more.... And there is always the thin
    edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs

    Homepage: http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/

  3. Will

    Will Guest

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > I was out riding between rain showers...

    Maybe it had something to do with the rain and his work environment...
    or maybe just the rain and rain gear.

  4. How far did he ride before he got on the bus?

    How much riding has he done in the last decade (i.e. is he fit)?

    Personally, I've made the mistake of criticising the actions of others
    without knowing all of the details shaping their actions. When I
    learned more of those details, I was faced with the realization that
    they had not deserved my criticism. Are you certain that the other
    cyclist deserved your criticism?

    Jeff

  5. "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I was out riding between rain showers and saw one of the worst offenses of
    >bicycle use I can think of. A local bus passed me and stopped a few hundred
    >feet past me, then a guy got out and removed his bike from the front to
    >ride the 3 blocks more to get home. The bus only goes about 7 miles max,
    >which is totally ridable, so I was kind of wondering why pay for the bus
    >when he could have rode the 7 miles in about (maybe less) a half hour?

    I've loaded the bike on the bus and then had it take me within a short
    distance of home when I rode in to work, but started not feeling well during
    the day. Rather than ride while feeling sick, I just coasted the last 1/2
    mile down the hill to the house.

    And as for paying for the ride -- I get a free bus pass from my employer, so
    no money out of my pocket to do so.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

  6. Andy Gee

    Andy Gee Guest

    Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote in news:GK3_f.57104$F_3.26916
    @newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:

    > I was out riding between rain showers and saw one of the worst offenses
    > of bicycle use I can think of. A local bus passed me and stopped a few
    > hundred feet past me, then a guy got out and removed his bike from the
    > front to ride the 3 blocks more to get home. The bus only goes about 7
    > miles max, which is totally ridable, so I was kind of wondering why pay
    > for the bus when he could have rode the 7 miles in about (maybe less) a
    > half hour?
    > It seems like getting the exercise and not paying for our local and
    > somewhat expensive bus service would be better, than riding and waiting
    > for a bus.
    > The guy was only about 30 and had a good bike, not a super road bike,
    > but it looked like a 27" general purpose.
    > Another ?????
    > Bill Baka

    There are times you might see me take my bike out of the PATH station and
    ride six blocks to my apartment. The PATH also goes about 7 miles or so.
    But that just means I've done 50 miles in New Jersey and didn't want to
    detour another 20 to take the George Washington Bridge. No bikes are
    allowed in the Holland or Lincoln tunnels, the more direct routes for me
    coming from Jersey.

    On the one hand, that probably wasn't this guy's deal. On the other hand,
    I never judge a guy till I've ridden a century in his toe clips.

    --ag

  7. Mike Rice

    Mike Rice Guest

    On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 08:39:02 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I was out riding between rain showers and saw one of the worst offenses
    >of bicycle use I can think of. A local bus passed me and stopped a few
    >hundred feet past me, then a guy got out and removed his bike from the
    >front to ride the 3 blocks more to get home. The bus only goes about 7
    >miles max, which is totally ridable, so I was kind of wondering why pay
    >for the bus when he could have rode the 7 miles in about (maybe less) a
    >half hour?
    >It seems like getting the exercise and not paying for our local and
    >somewhat expensive bus service would be better, than riding and waiting
    >for a bus.
    >The guy was only about 30 and had a good bike, not a super road bike,
    >but it looked like a 27" general purpose.
    >Another ?????
    >Bill Baka

    I have a friend who doesn't bike often, but was without a car for most
    of last year. She got herself an old single speed bike and used it to
    get to the bus routes, where she would mount it on the bus bike rack.
    Although we only live two and a half miles apart she would still use
    the bus. She was not comfortable riding in the street, so she would
    use the sidewalk (illigal here, but she 'felt' safer). She never got
    enough riding in to get comfortable with even small hills. If it
    weren't for the bus racks I don't think she would have had made the
    effort to get around town.

    I teased her some for confining her riding so badly, and offered to
    help her get a road bike with gears from the local 'bike lady' (she
    buys from the police auction, refurbishes and sells cheap) but Joanie
    was nervous about the reliability of gears as well as believing the
    steets to be impossibly dangerous.

    She has another car now, but I thought even her limited use of the
    bike was a good thing.

    Indiana Mike

  8. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > I was out riding between rain showers and saw one of the worst offenses
    > of bicycle use I can think of. A local bus passed me and stopped a few
    > hundred feet past me, then a guy got out and removed his bike from the
    > front to ride the 3 blocks more to get home. The bus only goes about 7
    > miles max, which is totally ridable, so I was kind of wondering why pay
    > for the bus when he could have rode the 7 miles in about (maybe less) a
    > half hour?

    At least he wasn't driving. And he saw a bike as part of his solution.
    All good things.

  9. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 08:39:02 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I was out riding between rain showers

    It was raining at least part of the time, no?

    >and saw one of the worst offenses
    >of bicycle use I can think of. A local bus passed me and stopped a few
    >hundred feet past me, then a guy got out and removed his bike from the
    >front to ride the 3 blocks more to get home. The bus only goes about 7
    >miles max, which is totally ridable, so I was kind of wondering why pay
    >for the bus when he could have rode the 7 miles in about (maybe less) a
    >half hour?

    Probably because *it was raining* when he was ready to ride home.

    >It seems like getting the exercise and not paying for our local and
    >somewhat expensive bus service would be better, than riding and waiting
    >for a bus.
    >The guy was only about 30 and had a good bike, not a super road bike,
    >but it looked like a 27" general purpose.
    >Another ?????

    If it didn't have fenders, I think the rain theory is even more
    relevant.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  10. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > How far did he ride before he got on the bus?
    >
    > How much riding has he done in the last decade (i.e. is he fit)?
    >
    > Personally, I've made the mistake of criticising the actions of others
    > without knowing all of the details shaping their actions. When I
    > learned more of those details, I was faced with the realization that
    > they had not deserved my criticism. Are you certain that the other
    > cyclist deserved your criticism?
    >
    > Jeff

    I don't know what was on the other end, but this is a small town area
    and the guy was, as I said, about 30, and not fat.
    Fit I don't know about.
    To go anywhere that bus goes takes a maximum of 2 bridges and 7 miles
    and there are plenty of places to duck a sudden rain shower.
    Maybe he is one of the people who does not like riding?
    Bill

  11. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    Werehatrack wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 08:39:02 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>I was out riding between rain showers

    > It was raining at least part of the time, no?

    This was a clear day between storms.

    >>and saw one of the worst offenses
    >>of bicycle use I can think of. A local bus passed me and stopped a few
    >>hundred feet past me, then a guy got out and removed his bike from the
    >>front to ride the 3 blocks more to get home. The bus only goes about 7
    >>miles max, which is totally ridable, so I was kind of wondering why pay
    >>for the bus when he could have rode the 7 miles in about (maybe less) a
    >>half hour?

    > Probably because *it was raining* when he was ready to ride home.

    Clear day!!!

    >>It seems like getting the exercise and not paying for our local and
    >>somewhat expensive bus service would be better, than riding and waiting
    >>for a bus.
    >>The guy was only about 30 and had a good bike, not a super road bike,
    >>but it looked like a 27" general purpose.
    >>Another ?????

    > If it didn't have fenders, I think the rain theory is even more
    > relevant.

    California rain is more predictable than Midwest rain. A lot of people
    around here have lost their licenses to DUIs since the laws got more
    strict and HAVE to ride a bike. I WANT to ride. I see a lot of 20-40
    year olds drinking and riding, so, better than driving a car.
    I see very few adults who are intentional cyclists, maybe a road biker
    out in the country or the occasional retired guy, but that is about it
    around here.
    'nuff said.
    Bill

  12. Bill Baka wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > How far did he ride before he got on the bus?
    > >
    > > How much riding has he done in the last decade (i.e. is he fit)?
    > >
    > > Personally, I've made the mistake of criticising the actions of others
    > > without knowing all of the details shaping their actions. When I
    > > learned more of those details, I was faced with the realization that
    > > they had not deserved my criticism. Are you certain that the other
    > > cyclist deserved your criticism?
    > >
    > > Jeff
    > >

    > I don't know what was on the other end, but this is a small town area
    > and the guy was, as I said, about 30, and not fat.
    > Fit I don't know about.
    > To go anywhere that bus goes takes a maximum of 2 bridges and 7 miles
    > and there are plenty of places to duck a sudden rain shower.
    > Maybe he is one of the people who does not like riding?
    > Bill

    You guys are missing the obvious. There probably was a pretty woman
    riding on the bus. He had to ride the bus to get her name and
    telephone number.

  13. Will

    Will Guest

    Furious George wrote:

    > You guys are missing the obvious. There probably was a pretty woman
    > riding on the bus. He had to ride the bus to get her name and
    > telephone number.

    Yeah! Chasing skirt. And just before that he was DUI.

    Ding! Ding! Ding! Bonus point award!

  14. Dunno.

    Insufficient information for me to criticize the guy. He might be
    swimming fit but not cycling fit.

    If that's the worst thing you see in a week, you're doing well.

    Jeff

  15. Paul Turner

    Paul Turner Guest

    Bill Baka wrote:

    >I was out riding between rain showers and saw one of the worst offenses of
    >bicycle use I can think of. A local bus passed me and stopped a few hundred
    >feet past me, then a guy got out and removed his bike from the front to
    >ride the 3 blocks more to get home. The bus only goes about 7 miles max,
    >which is totally ridable, so I was kind of wondering why pay for the bus
    >when he could have rode the 7 miles in about (maybe less) a half hour?

    Maybe he had a long ride at the other end of the line and was using the bus
    to cut seven miles each way off his commute. The three blocks home could be
    incidental.

    --
    Paul Turner

  16. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    Paul Turner wrote:
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >

    >>I was out riding between rain showers and saw one of the worst offenses of
    >>bicycle use I can think of. A local bus passed me and stopped a few hundred
    >>feet past me, then a guy got out and removed his bike from the front to
    >>ride the 3 blocks more to get home. The bus only goes about 7 miles max,
    >>which is totally ridable, so I was kind of wondering why pay for the bus
    >>when he could have rode the 7 miles in about (maybe less) a half hour?

    > Maybe he had a long ride at the other end of the line and was using the bus
    > to cut seven miles each way off his commute. The three blocks home could be
    > incidental.
    >
    > --
    > Paul Turner

    That is possible or maybe he is just sane enough to ride the bus over
    our non-bike-friendly car bridges. One has only about 3 feet of sidewalk
    and no bike lane or safety fence, just a car barrier about 18" high.
    It is about a 3 mile detour to take a good bridge, so I can see why he
    might not want to ride all the way. The bridge death thread popped up
    just about when I posted, so it all makes sense.
    No argument here.

    Bill Baka

  17. Dave

    Dave Guest