Wat gaan aan hier?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Vo2, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Where are all the okes and chicks from Souf Efrica?

Tags:

2. ouzo

ouzo New Member

hier is ek.

here I am,
    this is me,
    there's nowhere else on earth I'd rather be.

my koneksie is stadig, dis hoekom ek nie soveel prat nie.

3. maarten

maarten New Member

Well I wont count??
    As I am only a fake one going back to europe in less than a week

4. Vo2

Vo2 Member

And, what you think of SA?

5. big_h

big_h New Member

Ons is nog hier... Maarten are you chickening out on the ARGUS. If not bad planning!!!!!!

Keep those wheels spinning!!!!

Big H

6. maarten

maarten New Member

I definitely had a great time in Sa. Its nature wise definitely a beautiful country and has interesting roads to cycle.

Its sad that traffic is that bad with taxi's on one, short cutting trucks on 2, muggings and stabbings if you cycle past townships and some crazy motorists on the road. there is definitely some work there to do(withnessed sadly one of the last victims from traffic from close by recently).

Don't want to be too negative I definitely had the greatest experience off my life. And met lots of nice and interesting people. But there is way more potential in the country(also on other things)

Cycling wise I had a great time although there are some minors at races.
    - the level is lower than home
    - Races are very passive
    - where are the long events?
    - coverage?? why only focus on the same names even if they keep getting their ass kicked
    -some people have a serious attitude problem
    - seeding and race correcting times are a serious mess without decent basis

I will be back if possible next year to set some things staight in some races else In sevral years time as a normal tourist.

I only sort of chickend out of the Giro although several amateur teams asked me to ride for them. But there are good reasons for that I was ill early in januari and am now riding with an inflamation in the shoulder because of a crash end of jan. Which means that I am only at 75%. With stage 2 in mind and the fact that I am a sprinter(afraid of hills) its no real use staying in SA. I want to be sure that I can finish the ride decently else its no use. University classes started again 2 weeks ago back home, should actually already have gone back weeks ago but stayed for the 99'er(decision made before the injury). Degree goes first bike is just a hobby(although a time comsuming one)

Don't know why I should chicken out for argus its only just above a 100k's and the first long part is flattish. Riding it is no real challenge for me(nothing bad intended). I already got my spot in invitational months ago, before I finished top 15 in 2 of the qualifiers(although not satisfied with the results). I respect that its big cause of the number of people and its time going. But as a ride, route and distance Argus has not much to trill a racer.

7. maurigo

maurigo New Member

Hi guys - We are on our way to Cape Town (from Seattle, WA) and my brother from Mexico City. We can not wait to do the Cape Argus Cycle Tour.

I need your help suggesting bike routes - we are staying at Victoria Junction and would like to ride safe, broad sholdered routes during the week prior to the 14th. Safe is the key.

Any suggestions?

thank you.

Mauricio
    [email protected]

8. maurigo

maurigo New Member

or organized club rides - slow to moderate pace (16mph).

9. RalleighOke

RalleighOke New Member

Don't know about the broad shoulders....

There is a club in CT call CycleLab. I think they have organised rides from there. Go check on their site www.supercycling.co.za

Hope you enjoy it.

10. maurigo

maurigo New Member

Thank you.

11. tamer

tamer New Member

12. HandyAndy

HandyAndy New Member

You'll find half of durban in southfields, London!Although I'll soon be returning home along with my new colnago c40hp:)

How does that work that I can buy an entire bike with 04 dura ace and ksyriums for the price of the frame in SA!Someones making money!

13. Goosebeak

Goosebeak New Member

Well, as they say, 'you pays your money and you takes your choice'....

Why on earth would anybody want to open a cycling business if not to make at least a living? And when you want spares are you going to hop on a plane to London and fetch them, or pop down to the local cycle shop owner who has been keeping his capital tied up in spares so he can service your need(s)?

Get real - if you invest your money in anything you expect a decent return on your investment - otherwise you open a savings account and/or donate to charity...

Oh, and what about back-up? Who pays for that?

14. Tamryn

Tamryn New Member

I'm here. Anyone here a MTBiker?

If so has anyone done the Giants Castle Challenge?

15. Goosebeak

Goosebeak New Member

Well, I'm also here, also an MTB-er (just recently started), and haven't done the GCC yet(!!!). But if you contact one of these forums, I'm sure you'll get a lot of information:

[email protected]
    [email protected]

Both forums are FULL of great, helpful, and knowledgeable people.

Hope you come right...

16. Tamryn

Tamryn New Member

Actually my brother-in-law (Steve) organises it. And my husband has riden it. And I was the time keeper for it this last year.

I was just wanting to know if anyone on here had riden it.

www.ultimatemtb.org.za is the website for the race.

17. Goosebeak

Goosebeak New Member

hehehe - so you're actually 007 in disguise!!!!

I really would like to ride a lot more races like this - from what I've heard they are experiences of NOTE! Unfortunately, being based in Johannesburg, it takes a lot of time (especially leave), and being a contractor (you know the story - pale male, over 40, can't get appointed to a permanent position), the logistics are problematic.

But I WILL get there one day soon!

18. Lazy legs

Lazy legs New Member

Howzit all of you, I'm an old member but has been offline for quite some time, (dis lekke kak gewees) nice to be back though. At least I still managed to get on the bike even though not as often as I would have liked. As Goosebeak said CONTRACTOR add to that your own company not a good combination.
    Looks like the SA population on the forum has shrunk lately, but its good to see some of the old names still in there, VO, Big H, R/Oke etc. I will visit more often while I have the chance.

19. HandyAndy

HandyAndy New Member

Goosebeak I dont have anything against bicycle shops in SA trying to make money and as you say you would have to be a complete idiot to open a shop not expecting to make money ,I always used to support my local shop back in SA and I do here in the UK as well.I also fully understand that once I return to SA I will have to rely on the local shops for spares etc.

The point I was trying to stress was that the price of equipment especially certain brands in SA is extremely exorbitant compared to elsewhere in the world.I know that I got a good deal on my bike.For example, the last time I checked a colnago c40HP frame and fork cost R35000. My colnago frame and fork brand new cost £1750.At an exchange rate of 12 thats R21000.Thats a huge difference!Even with higher shipping etc it still seems a little huge margin on that frame.I've seen other seemingly huge price differences with other components(campagnolo and Mavic for example).Ksyrium SL wheels - R8500 or £400 in the UK!Cosmic Carbone wheels - R18000 or £700!

I know I dont have a price breakdown so it is hard to say where the extra cost lies but at first glance it looks like someone is wacking the profit margin up and coining it.Maybe someone on this forum could care to enlighten us about theses differences?

20. Goosebeak

Goosebeak New Member

Maybe it's import taxes? Or maybe it's importers who bought at really unfavourable exchange rates having to try and reclaim some of their money?

What I've found, being involved in the 4x4 scene, is that, while prices look good in overseas magazines, once you've factored in all the transport costs, customs, etc. etc. etc. you very often end up paying the local price that you thought you were undercutting...

Galling, to say the least............