watch out for snakes

Roadbiker63

Apr 8, 2012
I set out to cycle 100 miles this week. Mission accomplished at 6 hours 52 minutes. Then......

As Im doing the final few miles of my 100 mile week today I was coming off a bridge through a shady area at about 18 MPH when I realized that there just a couple feet in front of me and no way to miss it at that speed is a 4 foot black snake.

Funny how many things can go through your head in a second. Kinda went like this...****,SNAKE !! raise legs ,hope he dont strike and get caught in spokes,could flip.. { HIT SNAKE} quick look over bike while braking...freakin' black bike and black snake....look back..snake is still on road.

So I stopped the bike and went back to check on the snake. I used a stick to move him off the road and he was without a doubt ticked off I had ran over his tail but he slithered off seeming alright.....could have been tragic for both off us..whew... :)

I saw a snake sunning itself on the bike path a few days ago... pretty sure it was a water moccasin. Not that the type would make much difference... I would worry more about the snake curling up into the spokes of the front wheel. (Do they actually do that?)

I was able to just steer around that snake I saw. But I wonder if in a pinch I couldn't just hop the bike a couple inches into the air.

One of the biggest and most frequent hazards I see on the bike paths is downed branches after a storm. I've seen a couple too big to move by myself and had to carry my bike around to get by. But even a small branch could be enough to throw a bike.

There are lots of seasonal hazards... we should share these to benefit the newer users... and for our own entertainment. I once read of a man that starled a bear while cycling.

Squirrels are another bike path hazzard. I havent hit one yet but Ive come close more times than I can count, They run out in front of you then dart back and forth in an undecided manner. Also I encounter wild turkey and deer. I havent had any problems with the turkeys but a deer stepped out in front of me a few weeks back. I braked hard and stopped 10 feet from him.

I ran over a snake Labor Day weekend. I felt the bump and something hit my shoe. I think he got ****** and attempted to bite me. Makes your heart rate go up even more.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

I ran over a snake Labor Day weekend. I felt the bump and something hit my shoe. I think he got ****** and attempted to bite me. Makes your heart rate go up even more.
LOL, I was worried that my tires would pick him up and put him onboard with me...well Im glad to see Im in good company and not the only one who has encountered this

I live in a city were we have [what park officials call] a deer infestation. Which means we have more deer than our parks and yards can properly feed. Of course what this also means is that animals lovers are actually feeding and providing salt blocks and fresh water for the deer. I've seen as many as seven deer in my backyard on more than one occasion.

Once while cycling I saw a car stopped and a young man inside taking cell phone pictures. I looked to see what he was photographing and also saw the huge buck he had spotted in a yard. The buck didn't look pleased with the attention... so I rode on.

Since that encounter with the buck I keep a glancing eye out while cycling in the areas with the larger yards and wooded areas. I've seen more deer in the last couple seasons than I could possibly count. The deer seem to be everywhere.

we have a pretty good population of deer here also. On the greenways they have gotten used to humans and twice now Ive had near collisions with them...hope I dont hit one of them.

Tarantulas provide very poor grip, so don't run over those, especially while cornering. Also, they tend to come out at night, so keep the orbs peeled when night riding in the desert. A very important point to remember for those riding where snakes are poisonous: pass the snake at least by at least a distance slightly greater than their body length. That's the max distance at which they can strike. With that said, most rattlesnakes I've passed on the road couldn't have cared less. Javelinas are much more dangerous as they randomly run out in front of cyclists and cars. Worse, they're just generally ill tempered and can bite.

No joke three weeks ago I almost hit a wild turkey. I was riding my favorite rail trail and Butterball came running out the bushes and right in front of me. I managed to take evasive action and avoid a I.P.I (International Poultry Incident)