Watching the TdF at L'Alpe d'Huez

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark Drayton, May 5, 2003.

  1. Mark Drayton

    Mark Drayton Guest

    Hi

    This summer I'd like to spend some time riding in the French Alps and, if possible, see one or more
    stages of the TdF. My current plan is to fly to the Alps on Friday the 11th or Saturday 12th of July
    and come back the following weekend. I hope to catch a train from Lyon to Grenoble, ride to Bourg
    d'Oisans and the climb the Alpe the following day to see the stage from the top. To anyone who's
    attempted such a trip, how does this sound?

    What are the chances of finding accomodation for the night before and after the stage?

    Can anyone recommend any other good cols or rides to follow for a few days before returning home? I
    should be travelling fairly light and hope to be able to ride 80 - 100 miles a day.

    Thanks for any help,

    Mark

    Tags:

  2. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Not sure about the trains but Alpe D'Huez is easily ridable from grenoble, mostly up hill. From
    Bourg d'Oisan area you can ride the Glandon then a quick 1km to the Col de Croix de Fer. We rode
    from Bourg to these cols then back to Alpe d'Huez for the tour one year. If you are very keen try La
    Marmotte. It gooes from Bd'O over the Croix de Fer, down the other side up the Telegraphe and down
    via the Lauteret. You could ride the Lauteret from Bourg too, and of course Les Deux Alpes, d'Ornon.

    As for accommodation, might be tough if you have no tent. The area gets very busy.

    "Mark Drayton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi
    >
    > This summer I'd like to spend some time riding in the French Alps and, if possible, see one or
    > more stages of the TdF. My current plan is to fly to the Alps on Friday the 11th or Saturday 12th
    > of July and come back the following weekend. I hope to catch a train from Lyon to Grenoble, ride
    > to Bourg d'Oisans and the climb the Alpe the following day to see the stage from the top. To
    > anyone who's attempted such a trip, how does this sound?
    >
    > What are the chances of finding accomodation for the night before and after the stage?
    >
    > Can anyone recommend any other good cols or rides to follow for a few days before returning home?
    > I should be travelling fairly light and hope to be able to ride 80 - 100 miles a day.
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > Mark

  3. Geoff Bowles

    Geoff Bowles Guest

  4. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Its all relative isn't it. One year I rode from Bourg d'Oisan to the summit of Alpe d'Huez, my wife
    was walking up and I was looking out for her as I descended. I didn't see her at all so I started
    climbing again and finally found her about 3/4 of the way up. I then rode back to Grenoble that day.

    "Geoff Bowles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Didn't look that way when I drove up it a few years ago!
    >
    > "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > .... Alpe D'Huez is easily ridable...

  5. Trealaw Boy

    Trealaw Boy Guest

    The mighty Col du Galibier is "just up the road" from the Lauteret too.

    TB