Watching the Tour on Alpe D'Huez

bigmacian

Feb 16, 2013
Looking for some advice here if possible.

I'm planning a jaunt to France in the Summer to watch Le Tour for the second time (the 2012 Tour was my first one, and I picked the right one!) and this time I'd like to see a mountain stage. This year obviously has the double climb of Alpe D'Huez, and, if possible, I'd like to be up there watching it.

When should I aim to get to the mountain? The internet so far has told me I need to be there before 6pm the day before, so as to avoid the closure of the road, but how early should I get there in order to find myself a good vantage point?

If there will be enough time between the two, I'd really like to see the Ventoux stage as well, will I face similar time restrictions?

Any advice would be great. I can't seem to find any on the internet other than 'talk to people who've done it before'.

yes you have 3 complete days to move from Ventoux to L'Alpe d'Huez and they are not far from each other, european people are on plain summer holidays during the the tour so they go to the alps and the pyrenees not only to watch the race but also to camp and have one beer or two ;) so the sooner you arrive to the mountains the better, by sooner i mean days not hours !

Would you recommend skipping the Ventoux and just heading to Alpe D'Huez a few days before?

I imagine it will be even more popular this year as it's being climbed twice!

Also, in terms of sleeping, is it even possible to pitch a tent anywhere along the climb? Or will it be sleeping rough? ;)