Watching Tour de France 2005 (please help!)

Mankymonkey

Nov 15, 2004
Hi, My parents are lifelong fans of race cycling and for their 25th wedding anniverery I would like to take them to Paris to see the final stage in person...however I am unable to find any infomation in english regarding how to go about this. I can't even find out if the event is ticketed, open to the public or reserved for dignitories. My parents would love to see the final stage this year...can anyone help me find out how to this? I really appreciate any advise that anyone can give me.

Mankymonkey said:
Hi, My parents are lifelong fans of race cycling and for their 25th wedding anniverery I would like to take them to Paris to see the final stage in person...however I am unable to find any infomation in english regarding how to go about this. I can't even find out if the event is ticketed, open to the public or reserved for dignitories. My parents would love to see the final stage this year...can anyone help me find out how to this? I really appreciate any advise that anyone can give me.

Just show up on the day and be prepared to hang from a tree/stand on a box/get there very early to see what's going on. The race is literally right in the middle of Paris and is free to anyone that can get to the side of the road.

I've never been, but my parents have a couple of times, and they love the atmosphere and the 'buzz' around the place and seem to consider it completely beside the point that it's pretty difficult to follow what's going on!

If you want a hotel in the centre of Paris I'd advise booking early, although you shouldn't have any problems. I can't remember the date off hand, it'll be either the 3rd or 4th sunday of July anyway. Take the Metro into town and jump off at any of the stops for the Louvre, Place de la Concorde, Arc de Triomphe, the race goes past all of them.

Here is all the information you need on dates, locations, etc. The site is in English and has a good map showing the routes and days. Plan early for a hotel and good luck.

http://www.letour.fr/2005/presentationus/index.html

BTW, I hope to get over to France this year and see some of the stages in the Alps around the 10th, 11th and 12th of July.

Rick

Cheers Guys, I'd been told that it was a free for all but I'd feel a right muppet if I booked my parents into a a central swanky Hotel and then found out it was ticketed.
Thanks again.

Hi, my name's Michael and I organise cycling holidays. For the final stage of the TdF you don't need a ticket. That's only for a grandstand finish line ticket and you'd find it impossible to get those anyway! If you're looking for accommodation maybe I can help if you wish? I have a room only trip for the final weekend. If you'd like more information contact me at [email protected] or check my website at www.sportstrails.com. Best of luck...

Mankymonkey said:
Cheers Guys, I'd been told that it was a free for all but I'd feel a right muppet if I booked my parents into a a central swanky Hotel and then found out it was ticketed.
Thanks again.