Watching USPRO In Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tirider, Jun 6, 2003.

  1. Tirider

    Tirider Guest

    Can anyone familiar with Philadelphia recommend some good observation points for the race, other
    than the M Wall? Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. "TiRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone familiar with Philadelphia recommend some good
    observation points
    > for the race, other than the M Wall? Thanks!

    I'm not familiar with Philadelphia, but watched a couple hours of the race near the finish a few
    years ago and it was good.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  3. Lemon Hill. Although you generally have to put up with that annoying announcer there.

    marc

    TiRider ([email protected]) wrote:
    : Can anyone familiar with Philadelphia recommend some good observation points for the race, other
    : than the M Wall? Thanks!

  4. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    Go down to the Benjamin Franklin Parkway for the start. You can take your bike there if you've
    chosen to ride to the race. Watch the start and the first few short laps as the Men's field and then
    the Women's field go roaring past a few times. Then head over to Lemon Hill for a few laps and enjoy
    the local *scenery* in between laps (it takes about 25 minutes for the riders to reappear here).
    Then take a little ride around Kelly drive and check out the race, the team tents (they used to give
    out a little swag) and see the feed zone in operation (around lap 6 as I recall). Along the drive,
    you will get to see some great super fast flat riding. I would avoid the Wall entirely (too many
    drunk, obnoxious, low class, know nothing about cycling bozos there) and they won't let you take a
    bike up, even if you are walking it. Then head back to the start/finish area (Parkway) to see the
    short finishing laps and the finish.

    HTH, Cat

  5. TiRider wrote:

    > Can anyone familiar with Philadelphia recommend some good observation points for the race, other
    > than the M Wall? Thanks!

    A nice place to stay is the Embassy Suites Hotel on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. If you can get a
    room facing in the right direction you can see all the way from the loop at Logan Circle up to the
    Art Museum. We didn't get such a room last summer but we did stay there and just stood inside Logan
    Circle and watched the riders go by a few times. I've got young kids so that was all they were good
    for and we didn't try for Lemon Hill or the finish but it was still a good day.

    Of course, if you can afford it, the Four Seasons is right across the street from the Embassy Suites
    - 4 times as expensive, twice as nice.

    -S-