Water bottle cage location:

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steve Leuty, May 16, 2003.

  1. Steve Leuty

    Steve Leuty Guest

    Got a question. I see that most (if not all road bicycle racers) have water bottle cages mounted on
    the frames of bikes. I've also seen cages mounted under the saddle. What is the difference and is
    there really a benefit either way. I know that it's easier to reach for the bottles on the frame but
    that is all. I've used both set ups and once I got used to the under the saddle style, it was quite
    easy to reach for the bottles. Any advice?

  2. J999w

    J999w Guest

    In the OLD days (1980's) for a short time it was _cool_ to strap your spare waterbottle under the
    saddle with a toe strap. Then we learned that it made it a lot harder to rock the bike from side
    to side when climbing or sprinting, and it was an easy place to grab during a sprint to balk
    another rider !

    jw wb9uai

  3. Serge

    Serge Guest

    Bottle mounts behind the saddle are used for time trials and triathlones - -this is more
    aerodynamic. Frame mounts are better for road racing - better bike hanling uphill and downhill, easy
    "grab and push" after wheel replacement, ets.

  4. "Serge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bottle mounts behind the saddle are used for time trials and triathlones - -this is more
    > aerodynamic.

    How do you know it's more aerodynamic?

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  5. Tim Mullin

    Tim Mullin Guest

    > "Serge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Bottle mounts behind the saddle are used for time trials and triathlones - -this is more
    > > aerodynamic.
    >
    > How do you know it's more aerodynamic?

    Because every time you hit a decent bump, most behind-the-saddle mounts

    less drag, and less weight, too. Kinda sucks on a long ride on a hot day, though....

  6. Hawke

    Hawke Guest

    > "Serge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Bottle mounts behind the saddle are used for time trials and triathlones - -this is more
    > > aerodynamic.
    >
    > How do you know it's more aerodynamic?

    Sailors and some cyclists are aware of an effect called "apparent wind".

    What happens is that when you go faster you create your own wind and the wind direction moves
    forward towards the bow.

    Sailors take advantage of this by pointing their boats higher and triming their sails with
    the sheets.

    Cyclists can enjoy this advantage by having two water bottles on the frame which create a
    "sail" effect.

    Hawke

  7. John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

    > "Serge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Bottle mounts behind the saddle are used for time trials and triathlones - -this is more
    > > aerodynamic.
    >
    > How do you know it's more aerodynamic?

    It certainly isn't in a crosswind.

  8. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

  9. Steve Leuty

    Steve Leuty Guest

    --------------050405080602050705050106 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

    Nice data. I've decided to mount the bottles on the frame. That's where I've been mounting them any
    way. I've always wondered though. Thanks. Steve Leuty

    Bob Schwartz wrote:

    >Steve Leuty <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>[ on the frame or under the saddle?]
    >>

    >http://www.analyticcycling.com/RiderAeroStudy.html
    >
    >Bob Schwartz [email protected]

    --------------050405080602050705050106 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    </head> <body> Nice data. I've decided to mount the bottles on the frame. That's where I've been
    Schwartz wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite" cite="[email protected]"> <pre
    wrap="">Steve Leuty <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
    href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote: </pre> <blockquote
    wrap=""><!----> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.analyticcycling.com/RiderAeroStud-
    y.html">http://www.analyticcycling.com/RiderAeroStudy.html</a>

    Bob Schwartz <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a>

  10. J999w

    J999w Guest

  11. Steve Leuty

    Steve Leuty Guest

    --------------000204000304020909060305 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

    Steve Leuty

    J999w wrote:

    >>>[ on the frame or under the saddle?]
    >>>

    >>http://www.analyticcycling.com/RiderAeroStudy.html
    >>
    >>Bob Schwartz
    >>

    >Where's the legend for each graph? How do we know which line represents what?
    >
    >jw

    --------------000204000304020909060305 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta

    cite="[email protected]"> <blockquote type="cite"> <blockquote
    class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.analyticcycling.com/RiderAeroStudy.html">http://www.-
    analyticcycling.com/RiderAeroStudy.html</a>

    Bob Schwartz

    which line represents what?

  12. Serge

    Serge Guest

    > "Serge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Bottle mounts behind the saddle are used for time trials and triathlones - -this is more
    > > aerodynamic.
    >
    > How do you know it's more aerodynamic?
    >
    > JT

    Actually, I am guessing. There were "aero" bike saddles with protusion back, right where the bottles
    are, they got quickly outlawd by FIRC.

    I think the whole trend started with "aero" triathlone bikes with NO place for conventional water
    cage, and then the "areo" fad followed.