Water Bottle/cage

mossman

Apr 6, 2015
I'm looking for a water bottle/cage for my Specialized Crosstrail hybrid. The bike already has screws on the crossbar. Are most cages universal fit? Are there certain brands that are better than others? I can get a bottle/cage from Specialized for $30, which isn't bad, but it's unclear whether it attaches to these two screws or if it attaches where the crossbar meets the pedal housing (sorry, not familiar with the terminology). I like this one and it got good reviews: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LWGFDTE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2OJIOHMXEQPZ1&coliid=IWQCOP3KZIUAH

"Are most cages universal fit?"

Yes. The two screws are on standard center dimension and cages are usually slotted to allow for some adjustment and/or manufacturing tolerances.

"Are there certain brands that are better than others?"

Yes, but it comes down to a couple of characteristics:
1. Looks
2. How securely the cage needs to grip the bottle
3. Material choice.

Aluminum cages tend to mark up bottles more so than other materials. Paint and even anodizing will wear away over time/use.

Stainless steel cages may be a bit heavier, but look good for years and are generally very sturdy. Like aluminum, they can be bent to improve grip on the bottle.

Titanium cages can be an excellent choice. They offer little over aluminum or stainless, but they go well with Ti frames.

Polymers/Nylon cages are very durable as a rule, will not oxidize and come in a variety of styles such as side insert/removal of the bottle. Grip can be anywhere from poor to excellent depending on design.

Carbon fiber are usually sold for both bling factor and low weight. The can be somewhat fragile and probably suffer the highest failure rate if the internet is to be believed. Grip, again, can range from poor to really good.

I like the Elite cages. Check out the Custom Race model. It works well for me. In stainless, the King cages are very well made.

You can get bottle cages and bottles for deep discounts at sites like Bike24, Bike Nashbar. I will say with respect to bottle cages (I just bought 2 on Bike24), you may want to purchase from some place that is easier to return than Amazon. Some cages don't hold the bottles well (i.e. they bounce out on bumpy roads) or they are difficult to access and get in and out of easily while riding. Others have cheaper plastic or carbon fiber parts that are known to crack.

Decent reviews something as mundane as bottle cages are not plentiful.

The most important thing to consider when buying a bottle cage site unseen is whether it will fit your bottle- do you need a larger bottle? Make sure it fits. I bought two Cannondale bottle cages two days ago from bike 24 and the 25 Oz bottles that fit. If there are any surprises, I can make a return to one spot.

I selected the Camelbak Podium Big Chill 25 oz Bottle... it is somewhat insulated, so that my ice cubes stay frozen for some time, but not for a four hour ride). The bottles have been terrific. As a 200+ lb rider, I sure as hell wasn't paying the $60 my LBS charges for Carbon fiber bottle cages to save 20 grams. If I want to save 20 grams, I have a couple less beers Monday - Friday.

The Specialized Hydroflo is my personal favorite for water bottles. Soft, easy to squeeze and the flow is great. They make an insulated version as well - Full Disclosure: Awesome has a price, the bottles are on the high end of the scale. Worth every penny IMHO

As far as cages go, you might want to get a side entry cage (like the specialized zee cage)

Cheap aluminium ones will bend which will loosen up their grip on bottles, of course you can bend it back but true to the nature of aluminum it will bend faster the next time and offer less grip and continue to get weaker the more it bends and gets rebent.

Bontrager makes a nice lightweight cage called the RL, it will set you back $20 but it will last probably the life of the bike, and it's strong enough to handle my 24 ounce heavy Polar Bottles without ever remotely thinking about ejecting one. They come in a wide assortment of colors too. Found in stores that carry Trek. Sometimes you can find these on sale for $14 or so online but shipping charges negate any savings unless they have free shipping or you can find a coupon for free shipping. I think their the best and lightest cage on the market for the money at 38 grams each.

The one you're looking at are cheaply made and almost by the time you pay for shipping you could have bought the Bontrager RL's and probably never have to buy another cage for your bike.

I have the Bontrager RL and could not be happier with it. Its everything Froze said and more. Had mine for over two years and its never failed. Never had a bottle fly out on a hilly or bumpy ride. Never broke or cracked. Its definitely the standard bearer.

Quote by Froze:
"Bontrager makes a nice lightweight cage called the RL, it will set you back $20 but it will last probably the life of the bike, and it's strong enough to handle my 24 ounce heavy Polar Bottles without ever remotely thinking about ejecting one."

I have a pair on the Emonda. The RL is not the most attractive cage on the planet (IMO), but they are certainly sturdy.

"They come in a wide assortment of colors too."

Yeah, they do...in matte and gloss finishes, too. I was stunned to find they were made in the weird orange color that matches the decal/lettering on the frame. I guess TREK and Bontrager really are in bed with each other. I went with matte black to match the frame.

Thanks guys. I bought a BV Bicycle cage and a Camelbak Podium water bottle for under $30 and so far so good. I also ordered a side-entry Specialized Zee Cage II. I'll likely remove the BV Bicycle cage and install the Zee Cage once it arrives later this week. Or keep it as a backup in case the BV cage starts to loosen up. My bottle is nice and snug for now.

CAMPYBOB said:
Bontrager makes a nice lightweight cage called the RL, it will set you back $20 but it will last probably the life of the bike, and it's strong enough to handle my 24 ounce heavy Polar Bottles without ever remotely thinking about ejecting one. They come in a wide assortment of colors too. Found in stores that carry Trek. Sometimes you can find these on sale for $14 or so online but shipping charges negate any savings unless they have free shipping or you can find a coupon for free shipping. I think their the best and lightest cage on the market for the money at 38 grams each.
Yeah, they do...in matte and gloss finishes, too. I was stunned to find they were made in the weird orange color that matches the decal/lettering on the frame. I guess TREK and Bontrager really are in bed with each other. I went with matte black to match the frame.
TREK has owned Bontrager for at least 10 years.

Quote by Alf:
"TREK has owned Bontrager for at least 10 years."

TREK controls the Universe.

I got some Specialized plastic cages about a decade ago. They're only marginally heavier than carbon but they hold onto a bottle tighter than a drunk after his first swig of the day...

FWIW - I've sold/installed thousands of Specialized Rib Cages and Bontrager RL Cages and I've never had a customer complain that their bottle fell out or their cage broke. My only knock against the RL Cage is that looks like a dozen other cages on the market. Its a tried and true design, just not an original one.

That's where I have to hand it to Specialized. Not sure the cage is any better looking but it was somewhat a new design. One caveat: the Carbon Rib Cage is one of the worst cages out there. Besides sharing the trait with all carbon cages of being ridiculously expensive for the near zero weight savings, it was impossible to get bottles in and out of.

The side entry cages by both companies are also worth the investment. Though no cage will hold a bottle securely on a MTB, both do as good of a job as possible.

Those cheap aluminum cages are not worth the money.

I have other cages, I just think for the price like I said earlier that the RL is the best for the money. I have a set of Lezyne alloy cages too and they are outstanding for holding my larger Polar Bottles; I also have 2 sets of Chris King Stainless Steel cages that have also never tossed a bottle and those cages are about 15 years old. I also have a set of Specialized E-Cage 5.0 (in shiny polished silver chrome like finish) and was surprised by those at just $8 each and they never tossed a bottle either on a short test ride I did, but I got them so I could dress a bike up a bit to sell it, not sure how long they could have held onto a 24 ounce Polar Bottle as the miles pile on but most people don't use 24 ounce Polar Bottle so the buyer should be fine.

There are quite a few good cages on the market but most cheap alloy ones are not going to hold up for the long haul, fortunately they are cheap and thus you won't be crying when you have to replace them. Most plastic and CF cages you can tell won't hold up long if you can wiggle the front from the base back and forth and squeeze the cage from side to side and front to base easily with just your fingers.