water bottle cages

mdbrown

Jul 10, 2004
I've noticed a ton of pros are riding with Tacx Tao bottle cages, but my question is why? They weigh 39g each and by cage standards, I'd say this is kinda high considering others out there such as the campy record cage which is around 18g. I certainly don't have a 15lbs bike, but I'm in need of some new cages and looking to save weight anyway I can so is it worth the extra money to get some of the nice carbon ones? I found a listing on ebay for 2 carbon cages weighing 16g each for $60 and that seems like a good deal. The tacx taos are pretty cheap though, at around $15 a cage. Anyone have any suggestions?

mdbrown said:
I've noticed a ton of pros are riding with Tacx Tao bottle cages, but my question is why? They weigh 39g each and by cage standards, I'd say this is kinda high considering others out there such as the campy record cage which is around 18g. I certainly don't have a 15lbs bike, but I'm in need of some new cages and looking to save weight anyway I can so is it worth the extra money to get some of the nice carbon ones? I found a listing on ebay for 2 carbon cages weighing 16g each for $60 and that seems like a good deal. The tacx taos are pretty cheap though, at around $15 a cage. Anyone have any suggestions?
You'll save even more weight when your bottle goes flying out of the cage. I'm guessing that since most pro bikes are already struggling to stay over the weight limit they go for the cage with the most secure grip.

I think that two basic factors probably come into play:

1. Tacx sponsors a number of pro teams.

2. A full 20 oz water bottle weighs over 600 grams so.....;)

Buy a specialized rib cage bottle holder. But remember the older versions, which only have one ring to hold the bottle. These are stronger and a lot less expensive than the new ones. They only cost 8 bucks, and weight less than a pretty expensive aluminum cage. I love mine, and they look really nice. Everything else is a waste of money.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=9816

mdbrown said:

I use Giant Al bottle cage similar in design as the Elite Ciussi for about $6 each. Holds the bottles very securely and weigh about 22g each.

I like the Elite Ciussi stainless cages...a little lighter,hold the bottles tightly,and no black oxidation markings on your bottles...about $15-$20 each

mdbrown said:

I've been using the Tao cages for two months, and they are great. They hold bottles securely, almost too securely, but I can't imagine losing a bottle during a race unless I miss the cage entirely. As for the difference between 18 and 39 grams, well, I can lose 21 grams just by cleaning the wax out of my ears the morning of a race. I'm riding a Scott CR-1, so I'm not very worried about stripping off every last gram. Really, most of us could lose a lot more than that by passing up a couple of beers. But that's not as sexy as carbon.

I also have the Tao cages (they are 37 grams each), they look great on a Cervelo, but regardless you will not lose a bottle out of these cages. The smaller bottles fit perfect. 42 grams weight difference is nothing and if use the big bottles you just defeated the purpose of the carbon cages, which to me are a waste of money.

I also use the Tao's on my bikes and they are bullet proof. Realistically, the crazed desire to save 10 grams here or there is ridiculous IMO. Think of what he used to ride only 10 - 15 years ago.

It's always better to lose that last 5 pounds (if not more ;) ...) through diet and training than to be obessive about saving a couple of hundred grams but going carbon everything.

hd reynolds said:
I use Giant Al bottle cage similar in design as the Elite Ciussi for about $6 each. Holds the bottles very securely and weigh about 22g each.
I am really, really, really impressed by the amount of money that a fairly substantial number of people are willing to pay for water bottle cages.

Profile designs kage bottle holders are awesome. They are warranteed for 2 years, weigh less than 50grams and are less than 10$ a pop. They grip all sizes of bottles well and they are plastic and more durable than carbon cages. They look nice, are low profile, and will fit anywhere. I can't see a reason to buy anything else.
~Nick

I think it is funnier when a cyclist tells me not to buy a duraAce rear derailleur, or generally is against buying better components, and then goes out himself, and shells out $50 for freaking ultra light carbon cages.

gives me a warm fuzzy feeling

Retro Grouch said:
I am really, really, really impressed by the amount of money that a fairly substantial number of people are willing to pay for water bottle cages.
If you purchase a bike or nice upgrades, the cages should not cost you anything if you have a good LBS. Cost of my 2 Tacx Tao cages $0.00, riding my Cervelo with the black Taos priceless:D ..... I know I know, I'm on a break right now.

I use a planet bike cage. It's very easy to grab my bottle out of it. To me, the ability to get the bottle out of the cage is more important than the weight. 10 grams on a cage won't kill you even if you're Lance!

I had the Tao cages and they sucked. They rattled my bottles around and didn't hold them well at all. They dirtied up and looked like crud after awhile. I switched to Arundels and what a difference! They hold the bottles tight, especially the 20 oz. plus. They also come in cool colors to match your bike frame.

free_rideman said:
I think it is funnier when a cyclist tells me not to buy a duraAce rear derailleur, or generally is against buying better components, and then goes out himself, and shells out $50 for freaking ultra light carbon cages. gives me a warm fuzzy feeling
ccrnnr9 said:
Profile designs kage bottle holders are awesome. They are warranteed for 2 years, weigh less than 50grams and are less than 10$ a pop. They grip all sizes of bottles well and they are plastic and more durable than carbon cages. They look nice, are low profile, and will fit anywhere. I can't see a reason to buy anything else. ~Nick
deckard said:
I also have the Tao cages (they are 37 grams each), they look great on a Cervelo, but regardless you will not lose a bottle out of these cages. The smaller bottles fit perfect. 42 grams weight difference is nothing and if use the big bottles you just defeated the purpose of the carbon cages, which to me are a waste of money.
cuocciom said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbrown I've noticed a ton of pros are riding with Tacx Tao bottle cages, but my question is why? They weigh 39g each and by cage standards, I'd say this is kinda high considering others out there such as the campy record cage which is around 18g. I certainly don't have a 15lbs bike, but I'm in need of some new cages and looking to save weight anyway I can so is it worth the extra money to get some of the nice carbon ones? I found a listing on ebay for 2 carbon cages weighing 16g each for $60 and that seems like a good deal. The tacx taos are pretty cheap though, at around $15 a cage. Anyone have any suggestions?
I've been using the Tao cages for two months, and they are great. They hold bottles securely, almost too securely, but I can't imagine losing a bottle during a race unless I miss the cage entirely. As for the difference between 18 and 39 grams, well, I can lose 21 grams just by cleaning the wax out of my ears the morning of a race. I'm riding a Scott CR-1, so I'm not very worried about stripping off every last gram. Really, most of us could lose a lot more than that by passing up a couple of beers. But that's not as sexy as carbon.
how long do carbon water cages last nowadays (both functionally and aesthetically) ? how good are they ? do they need extra care when travelling for example or on common day to day use ?

Originally Posted by vspa .

how long do carbon water cages last nowadays (both functionally and aesthetically) ? how good are they ?
do they need extra care when travelling for example or on common day to day use ?
I typically get about two seasons out of carbon water bottle cages, maybe a season more for the downtube cage but sooner or later the bottom tab on the seat tube mounted cages break, usually after hitting a pothole or pavement transition at speed. Other than that I've had no trouble with them, have never ejected a bottle nor had issues with the upper portions of carbon cages. I don't do anything special for transport or for day to day use, I just bolt them to the bike and stuff bottles into them.

I like the Arundel 'Dave O' cage or similar designs.

-Dave