Water Bottle for a 20K TT - yes or no?

GaryG

Guest
Simple question - I'm doing a 10K and 20K TT tomorrow morning. I do not
plan on carrying a water bottle on the 10K, but I'm not sure about the 20K.

I'm aiming for around 15:30 for the 10K, and <32:00 for the 20K.

The weather report is calling for a temp of 76, with 11 mph wind (drats!).

TIA,

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

"GaryG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Simple question - I'm doing a 10K and 20K TT tomorrow morning. I do not
> plan on carrying a water bottle on the 10K, but I'm not sure about the
> 20K.
>
> I'm aiming for around 15:30 for the 10K, and <32:00 for the 20K.
>
> The weather report is calling for a temp of 76, with 11 mph wind (drats!).
>
> TIA,
>
> --
> ~_-*
> ...G/ \G
> http://www.CycliStats.com
> CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

No.

GaryG wrote:
> Simple question - I'm doing a 10K and 20K TT tomorrow morning. I do
> not plan on carrying a water bottle on the 10K, but I'm not sure
> about the 20K.
>
> I'm aiming for around 15:30 for the 10K, and <32:00 for the 20K.
>
> The weather report is calling for a temp of 76, with 11 mph wind
> (drats!).

I wouldn't bother. As long as you're fairly well hydrated before you go
(note: this is not the same as a stomach full of water, which would be a bad
idea) you'll manage half an hour fine.

Peter

On Fri, 20 May 2005 15:25:52 -0700, "GaryG" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Simple question - I'm doing a 10K and 20K TT tomorrow morning. I do not
>plan on carrying a water bottle on the 10K, but I'm not sure about the 20K.
>
>I'm aiming for around 15:30 for the 10K, and <32:00 for the 20K.
>
>The weather report is calling for a temp of 76, with 11 mph wind (drats!).
>
>TIA,

If you have any uphill sections on the 20K TT, I'd say take the water
bottle. Then like a true pro rider you can 'dump weight' on the way up the
hill. It's really key. Seriously!

jj

In article <[email protected]>,
"GaryG" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Simple question - I'm doing a 10K and 20K TT tomorrow morning. I do not
> plan on carrying a water bottle on the 10K, but I'm not sure about the 20K.
>
> I'm aiming for around 15:30 for the 10K, and <32:00 for the 20K.
>
> The weather report is calling for a temp of 76, with 11 mph wind (drats!).
>
> TIA,

Physiologically, I doubt you'd _need_ water for such a short time.
Personally, I would probably carry one because I like to have it and
given how mental TTs are, your preference is probably the most important
thing.

Baird

"GaryG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Simple question - I'm doing a 10K and 20K TT tomorrow morning. I do not
> plan on carrying a water bottle on the 10K, but I'm not sure about the

20K.

> I'm aiming for around 15:30 for the 10K, and <32:00 for the 20K.
>
> The weather report is calling for a temp of 76, with 11 mph wind (drats!).
>
> TIA,
>
> --
> ~_-*
> ...G/ \G
> http://www.CycliStats.com
> CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

Thanks to all for the advice (even though it was split 50:50...oh, well,
that's Usenet).

I think I'll not take the bottle. The course is dead flat, and I'm pretty
good about getting into a mental zone where I don't think about anything but
going as hard as I can.

GG

Its up to you, mate.

On a ride 30min+, I like to be able to just have one mouthful of water
(even if its just to swish around teh mouth and spit).

Does it make any physiological, etc, difference?? Absolutely not. But I
like to do it, and so I do. And a mouthful of water in a bottle on my
bike probably makes negligible weight/aero diference (especially over
such a short distance.

So the key question is - do you want to have a mouthful of water on the
TT...??

Good luck!!
Absent Husband

Absent Husband wrote:
> Its up to you, mate.
>
> On a ride 30min+, I like to be able to just have one mouthful of water
> (even if its just to swish around teh mouth and spit).
>
> Does it make any physiological, etc, difference?? Absolutely not. But I
> like to do it, and so I do. And a mouthful of water in a bottle on my
> bike probably makes negligible weight/aero diference (especially over
> such a short distance.
>
> So the key question is - do you want to have a mouthful of water on the
> TT...??
>
> Good luck!!
> Absent Husband

According to John Cobb a waterbottle mounted on the downtube makes you
more aero. So it might be worth carrying a water bottle even if it's empty.

http://www.profile-design.com/road_test_press/water_bottles.html

Marty

"Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Absent Husband wrote:
>> Its up to you, mate.
>>

> According to John Cobb a waterbottle mounted on the downtube makes you
> more aero. So it might be worth carrying a water bottle even if it's
> empty.
>
> http://www.profile-design.com/road_test_press/water_bottles.html
>
> Marty

I was going to bring up the same thing. If you've got the bottle, you may
as well fill it up a little so you can grab a drink right after it's over.

-Andy .

On Sat, 21 May 2005 08:56:33 -0400, "Andy Birko" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Absent Husband wrote:
>>> Its up to you, mate.
>>>

>> According to John Cobb a waterbottle mounted on the downtube makes you
>> more aero. So it might be worth carrying a water bottle even if it's
>> empty.
>>
>> http://www.profile-design.com/road_test_press/water_bottles.html
>>
>> Marty

>I was going to bring up the same thing. If you've got the bottle, you may
>as well fill it up a little so you can grab a drink right after it's over.
>
>-Andy .

Short bottle with no more than 6oz in it. Aero but little weight. You
might not need it but if it's super hot or you overheat on a hill it
would be nice to get a swallow or douse yourself to help cool down.

GaryG wrote:
> Simple question - I'm doing a 10K and 20K TT tomorrow morning. I do

not
> plan on carrying a water bottle on the 10K, but I'm not sure about

the 20K.

> I'm aiming for around 15:30 for the 10K, and <32:00 for the 20K.
>
> The weather report is calling for a temp of 76, with 11 mph wind

(drats!).

> TIA,

pre-hydrate, and rehydrate, do you want to lose by 1 second because you
took a swig of water? if you are just racing for a PB or for fun, and
don't like being uncomfortable, then bring some water.
Then again, if you minded being uncomfortable, you wouldn't be doing a
TT.
I don't drink even for a 40K, on the advice of the US 40k record
holder, who says that if you are thinking about drinking water, you
aren't TT'ing properly - although most 40k's are at 8am, and not too
hot, if it's really hot (95+)I might reconsider.
Drink in between TT's but not too much.
have you checked out www.timetrial.org? good site for tt nerds.

<[email protected]> wrote in message

> I don't drink even for a 40K, on the advice of the US 40k record
> holder, who says that if you are thinking about drinking water, you
> aren't TT'ing properly - although most 40k's are at 8am, and not too
> hot, if it's really hot (95+)I might reconsider.

For really hot TT's, I used to start with a ziplock baggie full of ice
tucked under my skinsuit between my shoulder blades and let it melt. When I
was approaching the turnaround I'd grab it, bite off a corner and drink the
water.