Water Bottle Mold

Brian P

Guest
I need some help with cleaning my old favorite water bottle. It seems to have some mold in the cap.
Specifically in the nozzle.

I can't be the first guy to have this issue!

Any ideas?

A little bleach worked for me.

"Brian P" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I need some help with cleaning my old favorite water bottle. It seems to have some mold in the
> cap. Specifically in the nozzle.
>
> I can't be the first guy to have this issue!
>
> Any ideas?

>I need some help with cleaning my old favorite water bottle. It seems to have some mold in the cap.
>Specifically in the nozzle.

>I can't be the first guy to have this issue!

>Any ideas?

Yeah, toss it and buy one-shot bottled water. The bottles fit the cages, they're recyclable, and
they're refillable. If they get moldy you toss them and get another one for a buck.

The water is better, too. You wanna know where the mold comes from?

Hint, it isn't Moldovia.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

"Brian P" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I need some help with cleaning my old favorite water bottle. It seems to have some mold in the
> cap. Specifically in the nozzle.
>
> Any ideas?

Don't worry about the inside, it's the outside that really matters. They should be thrown away at
the first sign of marking from the bottle cage, which usually is about every tenth ride or so.

I enjoy hucking an empty bottle to the side of the road during a group ride. Nothing looks more
un-pro than using a water bottle with black cage marks or having the team logo on the bottle
starting to wear off.

Try actually drinking and then replacing the water once a month or so. A good brand of bike bottle
would be made of a type of plastic that wouldn't harbor biological growths. It's just like running
shoes. Some of them turn foul within days and others stay sweet as apple cider.

Steve McDonald

Use the same method you would to clean a Camel back. A little bit of bleach then Bicarb of Soda. Try
doing a google and you should find something.

AJS

"Brian P" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I need some help with cleaning my old favorite water bottle. It seems to have some mold in the
> cap. Specifically in the nozzle.
>
> I can't be the first guy to have this issue!
>
> Any ideas?

>I need some help with cleaning my old favorite water bottle. It seems to have some mold in the cap.
>Specifically in the nozzle.
>
>I can't be the first guy to have this issue!
>
>Any ideas?

Soak it in diluted bleach over night and rinse it well with water and then let it air out a few
days. This kills the mold and cleans it up nicely.

No need to throw out those treasured water bottles until they are either to ugly to drink from or
just fail.

One friend dries his bottles out after each use by turning them upside down and draining them. He
says he has no mold problem.

Jon Isaacs

> Try actually drinking and then replacing the water once a month or so. A good brand of bike bottle
> would be made of a type of plastic that wouldn't harbor biological growths.

I see, so mold doesn't grow on "good plastic" but does on bad plastic, glass and many other
surfaces... Don't quite think so.

>It's just like running shoes. Some of them turn foul within days and others stay sweet as
>apple cider.

I generally use water bottles rather than running shoes to drink from. To each his own, but I
imagine that it is smart to start with new shoes.

But my personal thinking is that water bottles work better, don't leak as badly and are
considerably cheaper.

Jon Isaacs

>Don't worry about the inside, it's the outside that really matters.

Yeah, because who drinks that **** anyway? Its water after all. I mean between your basement
room next to the furnace and the coffee shop, its only about 1/2 a mile, hardly enough to work
up a sweat.

>I enjoy hucking an empty bottle to the side of the road during a group ride.

Yeah, of course its a bit of pain in the butt to sneak back and grab that bottle before someone else
does, after all, every dollar counts when you're not working.

But don't worry Fabs, I will continue to send you my old ones like I always do, they maybe too gross
to drink from but then you never fill em anyway and they do shine up nice with a bit of work. Takes
time, but when one doesn't have a job, there plenty of time.

Jon Isaacs

"Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >I need some help with cleaning my old favorite water bottle. It seems to have some mold in the
> >cap. Specifically in the nozzle.
> >
> >I can't be the first guy to have this issue!
> >
> >Any ideas?
>
> Soak it in diluted bleach over night and rinse it well with water and then
let
> it air out a few days. This kills the mold and cleans it up nicely.
>
> No need to throw out those treasured water bottles until they are either to ugly to drink from or
> just fail.
>
> One friend dries his bottles out after each use by turning them upside down
and
> draining them. He says he has no mold problem.

I just throw them in the dishwasher after every use, same as any other cup or glass. Since all of us
in the family ride, we keep a bunch of clean bottles on the shelf and grab one as we head out, the
used ones join the other dishes. I also throw *everything* I wear (except h*lmet and shoes) into the
clothes washer after every ride. No biggie, no mold, no stink.

[email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Yeah, because who drinks that **** anyway? Its water after all. I mean between your basement
> room next to the furnace and the coffee shop, its only about 1/2 a mile, hardly enough to work
> up a sweat.

Not true Jon, Fab lives in the valley and everywhere is a long way out there...of course if you
drive to within a 1/2 mile of the coffee shop you don't work up a sweat.

"Brian P" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I need some help with cleaning my old favorite water bottle. It seems to have some mold in the
> cap. Specifically in the nozzle.
>
> I can't be the first guy to have this issue!
>
> Any ideas?

You're approaching this backwards.

I have a translucent plastic water bottle. Over the summer, I found that it became more and
more green.

I assumed I had brushed against a freshly-painted green fence, or perhaps picked up grass stains.

Only when I went to scrub the outside did I discover the lush carpet of grass-green slime
growing inside the bottle.

I'm no fashion-addict, but this clashes horribly with my dark blue Mikado. If only I'd bought the
Radisson model, which is green rather than blue.

However, I'd not rather not repaint the bike. And the Marinoni green is a bit darker than this
algae. I'd hate for people to think I tried for a colour-co-ordinated outfit and missed.

So the OBVIOUS solution is to replace the green slime with dark blue slime.

Any suggestions of the proper variety to buy ?

Is this something routinely sold at aquarium shops ?

Personally, I'm surprised that fine bike shops don't sell a line of plankton in different shades
to match one's bike. On top of the colour-matching potential, plankton is a nutritious low-fat
snack. Baleen whales live on the stuff.

Thanks for your help.

btw Has anyone found a source for jersey's which match dried bloodstains ? Much easier than
trying to WASH the suckers .....

"Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message .com...

> But don't worry Fabs, I will continue to send you my old ones like I
always do,
> they maybe too gross to drink from but then you never fill em anyway and
they
> do shine up nice with a bit of work. Takes time, but when one doesn't
have a
> job, there plenty of time.

Seriously Jon, when was the last time you saw a top pro rider like Michele Bartoli, Peter Van
Petegem or Me riding around with a water bottle with those fredy cage marks on them?

Don't worry, I know exactly what I'm doing when it comes to proper euro style elite level
road riding.

"Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message com...
> Like I said, you do a good job of cleaning up those bottles. The bleach
takes
> the marks off the out sides quite nicely and with an hour or so of
polishing
> you seem to shine em up like new. Hardly anybody would suspect that I had given em to you.

If we can get serious for a moment, you wouldn't happen to have any of the yellow team ONCE bottles
would you?

I still have a dozen or so unused team ONCE bottles back from the days when the co-sponsors were
Deutsche Bank / Solan de Cabras /Agua Mineral Natural.

I've always liked the look of yellow accesories with the Viper red paint job on the Saeco CAAD
frames. That's why I've purchased a yellow Sella Italia 135 gram SLR saddle.

Fabrizio Mazzoleni <[email protected]> wrote:

> Don't worry, I know exactly what I'm doing when it comes to proper euro style elite level
> road riding.

Then why are you flinging your bottles in the middle of a ride? That's such a poseur move. You
should be saving them in case you need to pitch a bidon in the sprint, Tom Steels-style. Sure he got
DQ'ed, but hey, everybody remembers it. It is not enough to ride or win, you have to ride with
panache. Focus, man, focus on the importance of style. Don't be riding around without any elan like
boring old Lance.

"Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> ...

> Then why are you flinging your bottles in the middle of a ride? That's such a poseur move. You
> should be saving them in case you need to pitch a bidon in the sprint, Tom Steels-style.

I know what you mean, in fact in the last six weeks three group rides that I've been on have ended
with several of us almost getting in a punch up with each other, and just the other day I rode one
guy into the gutter to teach him a good lesson because he was riding squirrelly.

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> ...
>

> > Then why are you flinging your bottles in the middle of a ride? That's such a poseur move. You
> > should be saving them in case you need to pitch a bidon in the sprint, Tom Steels-style.
>
> I know what you mean, in fact in the last six weeks three group rides that I've been on have ended
> with several of us almost getting in a punch up with each other, and just the other day I rode one
> guy into the gutter to teach him a good lesson because he was riding squirrelly.

That's a competitive group. The group I ride with just gossips about the people who didn't
show that day.

"His leg isn't THAT broken." "He only rides when it's over 40 and dry." "One thing for sure. His
bike's worth more than his toupee."

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]>
> Don't worry, I know exactly what I'm doing when it comes to proper euro style elite level
> road riding.

That would be making an *ss of yourself.

"Golightly F." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]>
> > Don't worry, I know exactly what I'm doing when it comes to proper euro style elite level road
> > riding.
>
> That would be making an *ss of yourself.

I'm in the process of switching over to the 260 gram Magnesium Time pedal system, now what do
you think?

Anyway, it's March, shave your legs and get out on the road.

Jon Isaacs wrote:

>>I need some help with cleaning my old favorite water bottle. It seems to have some mold in the
>>cap. Specifically in the nozzle.
>>
>>I can't be the first guy to have this issue!
>>
>>Any ideas?
>
> Soak it in diluted bleach over night and rinse it well with water and then let it air out a few
> days. This kills the mold and cleans it up nicely.
>
> No need to throw out those treasured water bottles until they are either to ugly to drink from or
> just fail.
>
> One friend dries his bottles out after each use by turning them upside down and draining them. He
> says he has no mold problem.

FWIW I put a little Listerine in my Camelback to prevent the regrowth of some mold that was in
there. So far it's worked like a charm. I'm sure trace amounts of Listerine are less bad for you
than trace amounts of Chlorox.

Matt O.