At Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:33:11 -0400, message
<[email hidden]> was posted by Peter Cole
<[email hidden]>, including some, all or none of the
following:
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:This goes to the question of whether these behaviors should be illegal.
I don't think they should.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:But they /are/ illegal, and as long as they are we should obey the
law. And for what it's worth I'm with Frank: legal vehicular cycling
buys us much-needed legitimacy.
Quoted message said:And I hope you guys get your just rewards, I'm ambivalent at best. BTW,
who is "us"? I asked Frank but he chose not to answer. Is that just you
and Frank, or do you have a club?
Ambivalent? I'd say you were a good deal more than that. But
whatever.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:You keep saying it's absurd, but so far your sole justification seems
to be because lawbreaking is personally convenient to you, so you
choose to discount anything that suggests it might have negative
connotations.
Quoted message said:That's a leap.
Not as far as I can tell.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:I was using the standard English definition: intolerance and
prejudice. There is good documentary evidence that drivers exhibit
both prejudice and intolerance towards cyclists.
Quoted message said:You claimed it was exaggerated truth, I said it was a lie. That's a
pretty big difference.
So what's your point? That drivers don't show bigotry towards
cyclists? I think the evidence is that they do.
Quoted message said:if you connect road rage to cyclist behavior, you're an apologist.
In the same way that advising people to lock their doors and windows
is being an apologist for burglary :-)
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:So you say. Against that we have driver attitude surveys showing that
they characterise cyclists as scofflaws, and repeated crossposted
threads where we are beaten over the head with the illegal behaviour
of cyclists.
Quoted message said:Our experience differs markedly, neither of us can explain the differences.
Indeed. Interestingly, yours also apparently differs from what the
driver attitude surveys say. I wonder if this is connected with our
different styles of riding?
Quoted message said:Even if motorists are chronically [censored] at cyclists in your country
because of a few bad apples like me, I'd draw the line at retaliating
with a couple of tons of turbocharged revenge, wouldn't you? Until the
cops get outlaws like me under control shouldn't you be more concerned
with vigilante justice than my nose tweaking?
You are missing the point. No, actually you are inverting it. I say:
sauce for the goose. If we want road users to behave legally, we have
to be prepared to be bound by the same rules. You say: asking for
everyone to obey the rules is unacceptable, the cagers should obey
first. But they say: why should we obey the rules, you don't.
My way offers a resolution, yours (and theirs) does not.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:>And I favour a zero tolerance approach to all road traffic laws. See?
>Not so very different after all.
I think that's a very impractical and unbalanced view. It ignores
fundamentals of justice and law enforcement.
No, I think it's supremely practical. If one user group sees they are
being singled out for enforcement they will consider it discriminatory
- you have already said that you feel enforcement against cyclists
falls into this category. The discrimination disappears when all road
users are clearly subject to enforcement activity.
Quoted message said:Punishment should fit the crime.
Yes.
Quoted message said:Part of the computation of punishment is the chance of being caught.
A small part.
Quoted message said:Making that 100% for all crimes isn't
practical, nor does it really accomplish anything.
Logical disconnect. Zero tolerance is not about 100% chance of
getting caught, it's about clarity. It's about saying that the rules
are the rules, and they will be applied without fear or favour. It's
about removing the moral relativism which allows people to pretend
that their behaviour is not dangerous / illegal / antisocial because
someone else is more dangerous / illegal / antisocial.
And by all accounts it seems to work.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:The law for running red lights with a bicycle is, by definition, already
very different than the law for motor vehicles. The difference reflects
the difference in danger to innocent parties. To that extent, it's
logical and fair.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Is it? Is it really? Over here it is *the exact same offence*
covered by the same paragraph of the same statute.
Quoted message said:Yes, but over here it's never enforced and the maximum penalty is $20
which never changes.
Are you certain it's a different law and not just a different penalty?
But then, you have said you have this perverse system which pretends
bicycles are not vehicles, so maybe it is.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:I am not an absolutist, I'll cut corners for practical purposes. I'll
pay the fine.
Yup, and that's just what the motorists say.
Quoted message said:I think that's rational, I think their fine should be orders of
magnitude greater because their liability is. Since that is also true, I
have no quibble. I do think that aggression towards cyclists should be
much more expensive than it currently is. I think cyclists are
overcharged where the laws are actually enforced.
I have no problem with any of that.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:The real issue (again)
Quoted message said:is whether blaming cyclists for motorist behavior is accurate or helpful.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:No, that's a falsely absolutist representation. The question is
actually whether cyclists breaking the law makes motorist behaviour
better, worse, or the same.
Quoted message said:OK, have it your way, I don't see the difference.
Easy: one interpretation says that without the lawbreaking, drivers
would love cyclists like brothers. That is patently not going to
happen. The other says that drivers will never love us, but at least
we can avoid them being actively [censored].
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:I think it's inflammatory, so makes driver behaviour worse.
So, bust the drivers.
Better to control the problem at source, surely.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:I am saying: obey the law. You are saying: it is fine for you
to obey the law, but other road users should not have that freedom.
Your position is arbitrary.
Quoted message said:Not really. Everyone has the option to obey the law or not. It's a
question of cost and benefit. Individual cost should somehow reflect
social cost, that's all. Motorists are getting a bargain for the
privilege of indulging their aggression on defenseless cyclists,
cyclists are slightly overcharged.
That's not what you've been arguing, though. Penalties for drivers
are higher than for cyclists committing the same offences, and rightly
so. But you've been arguing that the rules should not be enforced /at
all/ in the case of cyclists. Or even exist.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:True enough. I have seen the first side put by several people, the
supposed second side comes down to your assertion that agitation to
clamp down on cyclist misbehaviour is led by cyclists - as far as I
can see that claim is baseless.
Quoted message said:I've only seen it in the greater Boston /Cambridge area, I can't claim
to know the world.
So, what's the cite for this being led by cyclists?
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Again with the libel [censored]. That kind of talk paints you as a
loser.
Quoted message said:Whatever. It's a term with a specific meaning, unlike "loser".
That has a specific meaning, check your dictionary.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Bicycles are vehicles, equivalence exists and is enshrined in law in
most places, US or otherwise. Breaking that equivalence is the very
last thing we need - it would give the body of anti-cyclist idiots (of
whom there are many) the excuse to drive us off the roads.
Quoted message said:Not likely, stop fear mongering.
Really? Not likely? Well, that's comforting. In Europe in the 1930s
similar arguments were used to require cyclists to use roadside
facilities where they existed, to ban them from the roads where a path
had been provided, to get them out of the way of "proper" vehicles.
Others argued that motor traffic and cycles could never mix, and that
cycles should be excluded form the roads altogether. This at a time
when more journeys (distance and number) were made by bike than by
car.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:You /say/ the laws are different, but it looks very much as if they
are not. The penalties are different - rightly so - but the laws are
the same, or substantially so.
Quoted message said:Penalty is part of the law -- an important part.
Evasion. All thefts are covered by the same law, punishment is
governed by the severity of the theft. Does that mean that the thefts
are different?
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Your claim that minor cyclist
infractions engender acts of motorist homicide is far fetched,
unsubstantiated, and fundamentally dishonest.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:It might be, if that was my claim. My claim is that your behaviour
adversely affects motorist attitudes towards other cyclists. I think
that claim is well-founded, based on several years of active
participation in Usenet threads where drivers say exactly that, and on
driver surveys which show that driver attitudes to cyclists are
coloured by cyclists' illegal behaviour.
Quoted message said:OK, so you stop at attitudes? No claim for attitude->behavior link?
You think behaviour is unaffected by attitude? No, the false claim
that you make is to erect the straw man of a causal link between minor
cyclist infractions and vehicular homicide.
Quoted message said:If you had said that initially you might have saved a lot of time. I
couldn't care less about motorist "attitudes"?
Really? So you would as happily ride around [censored]-off motorists as
around happy ones?
Quoted message said:Oh, wait, you did mention motorist behavior a couple of times above.
Well, which is it? Peevish motorists or vengeful ones? If vengeful, how
do they mete out their vengeance, with horn or grille?
Horn, grille aggression, cutting me off, whatever. [censored] drivers
are less pleasant to be around than calm ones.
Quoted message said:Am I responsible for your unpopularity or threat to your life and limb?
Don't be shy, this *is* the pivotal question!
And one which I have answered several times. In as much as you are
reinforcing motorist prejudices and pouring petrol on the flames of
their documented resentment, you are impacting on the safety of other
cyclists. How much? Who knows.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Perhaps you could point out where Forester and others blame cyclists for
motorist aggression? I missed that.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Perhaps you are unable to tell the difference between cause and
contribution.
Quoted message said:Nice dodge.
No, it's a Volvo.
Guy
--
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound