Water bottles or camel back

Originally posted by CHanson
I am going to do some century rides this year well at least August and Sept. I have used a camel back on some lenghty training rides but I feel I downright uncomfortable after 60 miles or so. Has anyone else experienced this and what are some alternatives for carry extra water

I checked out the hydration systems recently and was amazed by how much they weight (without any water in them!). Add in the sweaty back and the buildup of slime bacteria in them and I'm sticking with my water bottles.

BTW, you can get a cage to add two more water bottles behind your seat. Common for triathletes.

I almost always use a camelback with mtb'ing... but I HATE having it on my back on the road... In fact... I don't really like it on my back on the mountain bike either, but I also don't like my water bottles getting all covered in either dust or mud... so its a tradeoff I guess... ;)

I always prefer a Camelbak.
The slight extra weight on my arms is well worth the convenience of having the water valve ready right at my shoulder. I drink much more often, without risk of reaching down and losing control/rear view, etc.
On a 60mile+ ride, how I perform and feel at the end is very dependent on how well I stayed hydrated from the start of the trip. I also keep a bottle of Gatorade in the regular water bottle holder, for electrolytes. I stop and use it once an hour or so.

Don't put Gatorade in the Camelbak, the sugar will require much more cleaning to prevent mold/etc. Some good advice I got online- add a twist of lime or lemon to the water in your Camelbak. Makes the water more refreshing, adds a nice tang to it. Be careful not to get pits in the resevoir! (hard to suck water through a tube with pits in it...)

The only problem I had with the camelback was keeping the valve attached to my shoulder for quick use. I hate having it dangling in front of me.
I found taping a small rare-earth magnet (the 1/2" size) to the hose near the valve, and another magnet on the strap near the shoulder, works perfectly. The spout stays firmly put, but comes free with a quick tug. And it's easy to put back on the shoulder, since the magnet 'finds' the spot for you. I tried velcro, but it wore out after one long trip, after getting wet.

Cheers
Lou

I used these bottleholders for my riding from Singapore to China:
http://www.bikebuddy.co.uk/
Very nifty and good quality holder that I would like to recomend!
Easy to mount extra holders on top tube or else were to!
I lacked a third waterbottleholder mount on the frame, so I used a pair of stainless hoseclamps!
Fitted the rails on to two 1.5 litre Laken aluminium bottles, and used them to top up my 1 litre Laken bottle that fitted in a Profile plastic waterbottle holder.

The aluminium bottle will not get covered inside with germs as quickly and ad no plastic-flavour to the water like plastic bottles/Camelbacks do!!! The water stay cooler to.
Placing the weight low on the bike are superiour to wearing a 2,5-3kg heavy Camelback on the back for weeks!!!

I like using my Camelback for riding MTB on offroad when I want the bike as light as possible, and there is risk of loosing the bottle. But for touring Camelbacks only advatage is that it is easier to stay hydrated due to the hose is in your face all the time. There is however drinkinghoses avalible for Sigg aluminium bottles.

I have used big 1,5 litre soda bottles with a special holder, but they are more wounerable, get covered with germs quickly and can not be replaced in some countries.

I've found that the grocery shelf "Glaceau Smart" water brand's 1 litre bottle fits well in a standard cage and they're kind of cool looking.

Reusable and take a standard nipple screw top. I add Splenda and a dash of fake salt which is heavy with potassium.

for the road or touring water bottles are the only way to go-cb's are heavy, restrictive and hot-plus they look goofy as all get out. I am not a camel and my bike is made to carry a load- namely me!

Originally posted by greenie
On hot days, it is much preferable to drink water warm unless you are trying to increase you body temparature.
reason for this is that your body thermostat's first priority is to regulate the temp of your vital organs and pooring cold water on your thermostat (drinking) gets it to generate more body heat.

I don't get it. Drinking cold water makes me warmer, drinking warm water keeps me cooler?

Started wearing a Camelbak (actually, a Platypus, at first) for distance rollerblading; when I moved to biking, I kept it on my back. For distance rides, I'll add a Gatorade to the bottleframe, but like a lot of others here, I drink much more often if the tube is right there and I don't have to move around too much to get it. The back can get sweaty at times (I've got an old old Lobo), but I found the HAWG packs to be too big unless I need to carry gear, and the ridges in their support didn't add that much relief.

I too, use a Camelback for most all my riding, and use a sport drink to replace electrolytes. I got my "Mule" last year for my birthday and wouldn't ride without it. It makes it much easier to remember to hydrate--and it gives me a place to put my keys and ID.

Stiff Upper Lip said:
I got the new orange and white MULE -- it seems great for carrying CD players and stuff. Good for a touring type of ride or a commute. Although I have not used it yet.
That's the same one I have! It's great--I love the thing. I don't use the CD-styled pocket for my Walkman, though--I use my handlebar bag. It's easier for me to get to--if I need to.

bjhkmf said:
That's the same one I have! It's great--I love the thing. I don't use the CD-styled pocket for my Walkman, though--I use my handlebar bag. It's easier for me to get to--if I need to.
I dunno...I've never used a hydration pack of any kind but I know I have a "drinking problem"....in that if it's in front of me I'll keep drinking it. So if I had a straw in front of my mouth all the time I think I'd go through my hydration pack in no time flat and be screwed in the latter part of the ride.

I did my first century without a camelback, and from that point on, I have'nt gone without it. I use the CamelBack "Hawg" it has room for my cool morning gear when I peel it off, carry's plenty of fluids, and can hold food, spare tires and tubes, etc. I don't particularly care about style, and what the other guy thinks....It works well for me and I use it every weekend on my 60 mile ride.
CHanson said:
I am going to do some century rides this year well at least August and Sept. I have used a camel back on some lenghty training rides but I feel I downright uncomfortable after 60 miles or so. Has anyone else experienced this and what are some alternatives for carry extra water