Water bottles that don't taste like $%*^ ??

RWillieK

Aug 26, 2004
My water bottles flavor everything!!! Water, Powerade etc! The taste makes me sick to my stomach. Its a diamond back white plastic (probably vinyl) bottle.

Are there any bottles out there that don't flavor the water?

Robbie

RWillieK said:
My water bottles flavor everything!!! Water, Powerade etc! The taste makes me sick to my stomach. Its a diamond back white plastic (probably vinyl) bottle.

Are there any bottles out there that don't flavor the water?

Robbie

I use a Naglene bottle. I've not had any problem with taste transfer.

Brunswick_kate said:
I use a Naglene bottle. I've not had any problem with taste transfer.
Nalgene bottles that fit into the cages? Never seen them before. I do a lot of backpacking, so I have the standard Nalgene and Lexan bottles, but I'll have to look for those!

Robbie

RWillieK said:
Nalgene bottles that fit into the cages? Never seen them before. I do a lot of backpacking, so I have the standard Nalgene and Lexan bottles, but I'll have to look for those!

Robbie

Ahhh. I knew there was a catch...I carry my water bottle in my panniers. I can't actually install a water bottle cage on my bike.

Try Specialized bottles. Most bike shops have 'em. Big S on the bottom. Look 'em up on the Specialized web site.

alienator said:
Try Specialized bottles. Most bike shops have 'em. Big S on the bottom. Look 'em up on the Specialized web site.
Are the insulated bottles worth the difference in price?

Robbie

RWillieK said:
Are the insulated bottles worth the difference in price?

Robbie
Also, try adding some lemon juice to your water, shake it up. Do that a few times. Drink it. The lemon juice should help with the taste. Hopefully after a few times it will cut out the taste and you can go back to just water.

As luck would have it I work in the plastics industry.

Most "bike" bottles are made from polyethylene, they're great until they pick up the taste then you might as well change them. The lemon juice thing might work if you want to go to the trouble.

If you can find them, PET bottles will work well. This is the material used in gatorade, and most soft drinks. I've looked but haven't found any yet.

Nalgene is polycarbonate, and works great. I use them when backpacking also. I haven't seen them that will fit a bike cage.

One of the reasons polyethylene is used is because it's tremendously flexible and impact resistant, especially at the thicknesses utilized in a bottle. FDA grades are also relatively inexpensive compared to other materials. It also processes much easier.

Some bottles are still made from pvc (vinyl) but the number is dwindling. You'll definitely get a taste from many of these.

What I have done is use gatorade bottles for water, seems to work well, and if you get the larger size, they fit a cage relatively well...with the exception of the bottom which is irregular.

Hmmm.. perhaps I should get a blow molder run some test samples of a different material, anyone interested in trying them if I can get it done?

John

Jaguar27 said:
You need Bottles made from Lexan, which is completely tasteless...

Here's some reviews...
http://www.backcountrystore.com/store/reviews/EQU0004/c3/s5/Nalgene-Lexan-Wide-Mouth-32-oz.html

They can be spendy but well worth the extra, buy the wide mouth with plastic pop-up nipples, they're easier to wash...

I bought 10 a while back (dunno why) and gave some to friends, they can't get over how these Bottles prevent the Plastic taste....

Hope this helps....
FYI ...

Lexan = GE's brand of polycarbonate "Most" Nalgene bottles are polycarbonate also, although I've seen a few polyethylene versions at REI

Mansmind said:
FYI ...

Lexan = GE's brand of polycarbonate "Most" Nalgene bottles are polycarbonate also, although I've seen a few polyethylene versions at REI

Thanks, as you can probably tell, I'm not a Plastics expert...but I do know that they also sell Delrin, GE's name for Acetal, but much spendier...Kinda like Kleenex and Hoover??

Jaguar27 said:
Thanks, as you can probably tell, I'm not a Plastics expert...but I do know that they also sell Delrin, GE's name for Acetal, but much spendier...Kinda like Kleenex and Hoover??
Delrin is a homopolymer acetal, and was actually invented by Dupont. To my knowledge, GE doesn't manufacture an acetal at all. Celcon is another Dupont name you may run across, which is an acetal copolymer and in general, much easier to deal with than the homopolymer.

Acetal is generally used because of it's abrasion resistance, it's VERY tough, although the impact properties fall far below polycarbonate. You'll find it used in plastic pulleys, etc. It's also relatively "slick" so it makes a good plastic bushing/bearing. It's not good for outdoor use without due to it's weatherability and the fact that it's hygroscopic (absorbs water from the atmosphere).

As you suggested earlier, polycarbonate is definitely the way to go for the "taste" properties. The drawback being that it's not extremely flexible so you won't be able to squeeze the bottle. You should be able to use them for 3-4 years before ultraviolet light takes its toll...longer if stabilized. Polycarbonate is the material used to make bullet-proof glass, it's probably one of the strongest polymers available.

I suspect the best "all-around" polymer for water bottles to be polyethylene, preferably a very opaque white (will stay cooler to some degree, and protect the contents better by reflecting light). If you remember the yellow milkjug craze starting...the yellow was picked because it blocks almost all light in the blue part of the spectrum. Blue light is one of the main things that causes milk to spoil. By making the jug yellow, they in a sense increased the usable life-span of a gallon of milk. When all the cartons were cardboard, this was a non-issue to some extent since they were 100% opaque. Although cardboard introduced it's on "taste". The only real trade-off of polyethylene would be it's life-span since it's going to tend to pick up the taste. That can probably be avoided as long as ithe drink doesn't sit in it for days at a time. Something like coffee on the other hand, will probably stain it on the first use and be very difficult to clean.

In the end it's a trade off, polycarbonate is much more durable and taste resistance, but you give up the "squeeze" aspect of polyethylene bottles.

John

Jaguar27 said:
And yes, engineering polymers such as acetal, polycarbonate, and nylon are much more expensive than olefin polymers such as ethylene and propylene. In fact they're anywhere from 2x to 3x more expensive. They're also generally less forgiving from the processing standpoint, so items made from them carry a premium. Until compact discs and dvd's became so common place, polycarbonate was even more expensive.

I use a Scott bottle, that is see through. I have only once noticed a taste from the prvious liquid, and that was when I had plain water in a bottle that had Energade in it.

We was our bottles after every use, and then in the case above just add bleach to the water. Small concentration and rinse properly. Thats never given us any problems.

I was surprised to see a posting that some people never wash their bottles... I could never do that...

whenever I get a new bottle I always put a little mouthwash in it, then fill it with warm water and let it sit overnight. I then wash it like I would a dirty dish and its good to go. gets that plastic taste out, but may have a faint mouthwash taste when using water the first time or two.

Mansmind said:
Hmmm.. perhaps I should get a blow molder run some test samples of a different material, anyone interested in trying them if I can get it done?

John
I will test 'em for you!

RSSrsvp said:
I place my bottles in the dishwasher after every use. This seems to work. :)
As do I, the only time I have the taste is when I wash by hand, the dishwasher works like a charm with my Elite bottles.

do you wash it liek normal with tablets in and alll the rest! lol, id of thought they would have melted!