Water bottles that don't taste like $%*^ ??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by RWillieK, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

===========================================================
    We Ludites don't have a dish washing machine - we do them by hand in the sink(basin):)
    Washing mine after every ride works for me. I don't drink water in them - that would probably end up being "favoured".
    I've had one of my bottles I still use for about 5 years!

2. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

I have some BMC drink bottles. They don't have any aftertaste, have a wide mouth, a twist-lock spout and don't retain the flavour of energy drinks. It must be thw Swissness of them.

Otherwise BoA bottles.

3. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

It may sound silly but this problem only occurs if you leave the bottle empty when you store it . I´ve been using the same bottles for the last six years and as I always store them full to the brim I´ve had no problem .
    It also pays to always wash them after use but that´s so obvious that it is unlikely to be your problem .

4. Induray

Induray New Member

Oh!Oh!Oh! I have a solution, I have a solution.....................................

move to Florida ............................................

The tap water taste here is so $%&*^ing bad anyways that plastic taste is considered an improvement!!!!

5. RedHotIron

RedHotIron New Member

ALERT: Health hazards of PET plastic:

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200311/lol5.asp

6. The Evil Twin

The Evil Twin New Member

The tastes that come out of some plastics are the plasticizers they use to make the polyers more flexible. These compounds are known to have estrogen-like hormonal effects.
    But, the volatiles do go away or diminish greatly.

Fill a new bottle up with water, heat it to warm in a microwave, let the bottle sit, then discard the water and rinse the bottle. Repeat this many times. Eventually, the compounds will leech out into the discarded water.
    Covering up the taste is not a good idea. Never drink or eat anything out of a plastic container that has been heated, unless its bakelite.

Drinking cold water does cause the body to use energy to raise internal temperatures, but this is only an issue when sedentary. Drinking cold water does boost resting metabolism by about 20%.

7. Induray

Induray New Member

8. The Evil Twin

The Evil Twin New Member

9. dw_moto

dw_moto New Member

The Elite Hygine bottles are supposed to help with the taste problem. I just bought a pair. I'll try them out and get back with you guys.