Water bottles that don't taste like $%*^ ??

RSSrsvp said:
Put the bottle on the top rack of your dishwasher and wash it with everything else. As long as it is on the top rack, it won't melt.
===========================================================
We Ludites don't have a dish washing machine - we do them by hand in the sink(basin):)
Washing mine after every ride works for me. I don't drink water in them - that would probably end up being "favoured".
I've had one of my bottles I still use for about 5 years!

I have some BMC drink bottles. They don't have any aftertaste, have a wide mouth, a twist-lock spout and don't retain the flavour of energy drinks. It must be thw Swissness of them.

Otherwise BoA bottles.

RWillieK said:
My water bottles flavor everything!!! Water, Powerade etc! The taste makes me sick to my stomach. Its a diamond back white plastic (probably vinyl) bottle.

Are there any bottles out there that don't flavor the water?

Robbie

It may sound silly but this problem only occurs if you leave the bottle empty when you store it . I´ve been using the same bottles for the last six years and as I always store them full to the brim I´ve had no problem .
It also pays to always wash them after use but that´s so obvious that it is unlikely to be your problem .

Oh!Oh!Oh! I have a solution, I have a solution.....................................

move to Florida ............................................

The tap water taste here is so $%&*^ing bad anyways that plastic taste is considered an improvement!!!!

Mansmind said:
As luck would have it I work in the plastics industry.

Most "bike" bottles are made from polyethylene, they're great until they pick up the taste then you might as well change them. The lemon juice thing might work if you want to go to the trouble.

If you can find them, PET bottles will work well. This is the material used in gatorade, and most soft drinks. I've looked but haven't found any yet.

Nalgene is polycarbonate, and works great. I use them when backpacking also. I haven't seen them that will fit a bike cage.

One of the reasons polyethylene is used is because it's tremendously flexible and impact resistant, especially at the thicknesses utilized in a bottle. FDA grades are also relatively inexpensive compared to other materials. It also processes much easier

Hmmm.. perhaps I should get a blow molder run some test samples of a different material, anyone interested in trying them if I can get it done?

John
ALERT: Health hazards of PET plastic:

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200311/lol5.asp

lucien2 said:
reviving an old thread....

I wonder- does the foul flavor that comes from the flexible bottles relate to potentially harmful outgassing of the plastic itself? Is there a health benefit to be realized choosing one type of plastic over another?
The tastes that come out of some plastics are the plasticizers they use to make the polyers more flexible. These compounds are known to have estrogen-like hormonal effects.
But, the volatiles do go away or diminish greatly.

Fill a new bottle up with water, heat it to warm in a microwave, let the bottle sit, then discard the water and rinse the bottle. Repeat this many times. Eventually, the compounds will leech out into the discarded water.
Covering up the taste is not a good idea. Never drink or eat anything out of a plastic container that has been heated, unless its bakelite.

Drinking cold water does cause the body to use energy to raise internal temperatures, but this is only an issue when sedentary. Drinking cold water does boost resting metabolism by about 20%.

The Evil Twin said:
The tastes that come out of some plastics are the plasticizers they use to make the polyers more flexible. These compounds are known to have estrogen-like hormonal effects.
But, the volatiles do go away or diminish greatly.

Let the jokes begin........

No wonder I have been getting so emotional lately.

The Elite Hygine bottles are supposed to help with the taste problem. I just bought a pair. I'll try them out and get back with you guys.