Water bottles that don't taste like $%*^ ??

<slightly off topic>

A couple of you guys are bringing back some bad memories. I used to work as a shipper/receiver/material handler for a small plastic injection molding firm in western Massachusetts. I remember whenever they purged a machine of Delrin (in order to switch materials for a different mold) I'd get a NASTY cloud of fumes hovering over my desk. I'd have to go out on the loading dock just to catch my breath.

Shreklookalike said:
<slightly off topic>

A couple of you guys are bringing back some bad memories. I used to work as a shipper/receiver/material handler for a small plastic injection molding firm in western Massachusetts. I remember whenever they purged a machine of Delrin (in order to switch materials for a different mold) I'd get a NASTY cloud of fumes hovering over my desk. I'd have to go out on the loading dock just to catch my breath.
I do like the idea of a ploycarbonate bottle....I know it can't be sqeezed, but as long as I can get water into my mouth, it would be fine.

I don't really care for the regular Nalegene bottles....the flexible ones.....they always taste bad.

For you folks in the plastic industry...this bottle is a class 4 plastic.... low density polyethylene.
Robbie

Shreklookalike said:
<slightly off topic>

Those fumes are formaldehyde, a byproduct of burned/overheated acetal. It's ONE of the drawbacks of that polymer. I've seen operations have to empty the building when accidentally leaving it in a machine and it became overheated. It's very intense, causes your eyes to water and your throat to burn. Don't worry, not immediately detrimental, but one H$LL of an irritant. That's not to say that it's good for you.

John

Thanks Guys, I now know everything there is to know about Plastic Bottles..this is a great Forum

Mansmind said:
Delrin is a homopolymer acetal, and was actually invented by Dupont. To my knowledge, GE doesn't manufacture an acetal at all. Celcon is another Dupont name you may run across, which is an acetal copolymer and in general, much easier to deal with than the homopolymer.

Acetal is generally used because of it's abrasion resistance, it's VERY tough, although the impact properties fall far below polycarbonate. You'll find it used in plastic pulleys, etc. It's also relatively "slick" so it makes a good plastic bushing/bearing. It's not good for outdoor use without due to it's weatherability and the fact that it's hygroscopic (absorbs water from the atmosphere).

As you suggested earlier, polycarbonate is definitely the way to go for the "taste" properties. The drawback being that it's not extremely flexible so you won't be able to squeeze the bottle. You should be able to use them for 3-4 years before ultraviolet light takes its toll...longer if stabilized. Polycarbonate is the material used to make bullet-proof glass, it's probably one of the strongest polymers available.

I suspect the best "all-around" polymer for water bottles to be polyethylene, preferably a very opaque white (will stay cooler to some degree, and protect the contents better by reflecting light). If you remember the yellow milkjug craze starting...the yellow was picked because it blocks almost all light in the blue part of the spectrum. Blue light is one of the main things that causes milk to spoil. By making the jug yellow, they in a sense increased the usable life-span of a gallon of milk. When all the cartons were cardboard, this was a non-issue to some extent since they were 100% opaque. Although cardboard introduced it's on "taste". The only real trade-off of polyethylene would be it's life-span since it's going to tend to pick up the taste. That can probably be avoided as long as ithe drink doesn't sit in it for days at a time. Something like coffee on the other hand, will probably stain it on the first use and be very difficult to clean.

In the end it's a trade off, polycarbonate is much more durable and taste resistance, but you give up the "squeeze" aspect of polyethylene bottles.

John
:)

RWillieK said:
Are the insulated bottles worth the difference in price?
I'd say it's a toss-up. I have been using the 24oz. Polar Bottles for some time now. They definitely make a difference, but are hardly what I would call adibiatic. I find that if I put a little ice in the first and freeze the second bottle overnight it works out well for me for 50-60 mile rides in summer months. They keep things just enough cooler to be a bit more pleasant. I tend to buy a couple when I see a good sale on them. Still the same issues as other polyethylene bottles, but I don't find it too bad as long as they don't sit for a long time or get hot. I usually just use straight spring water and try to clean them immediately after use and leave open.

philhudson said:
do you wash it liek normal with tablets in and alll the rest! lol, id of thought they would have melted!
Put the bottle on the top rack of your dishwasher and wash it with everything else. As long as it is on the top rack, it won't melt.

Another brand of bottles that are great for all outdoors useage is Sigg. They are light weight and insulated. They have many sizes and colors to choose from. In addition, their bottles have an inner coating that is resistant to fruit acids and isotonic drinks. You will many find them in stores that sell hiking equipment. I just use some dishwashing soap, warm water and a brush, and there is no after taste.

http://www.sigg.ch

Put the bottle on the top rack of your dishwasher and wash it with everything else. As long as it is on the top rack, it won't melt.

but will any writing come off! lol dont want that to happen to my british cycling bottle!:rolleyes:

philhudson said:
but will any writing come off! lol dont want that to happen to my british cycling bottle!:rolleyes:
All of my bottles are clear, so I cannot answer one way or the other. :confused:

philhudson said:
ok thanks though
Actually I take that back as I have one new bottle that has the name of my LBS printed on it. I have put it in the dishwasher about a dozen times. However, if the bottle in question has some sentimental value I would still be hesitant.

philhudson said:
ok but did any writing come off.....:confused:

thanks phil
So far no, however who knows what will happen over the course of time. If you really treasure this bottle as a momento, hand wash it and use flavored drinks to camoflage the plastic after taste.

I use Nalgene bottles, even tho they won't fit in the holder on my bike. They have se veral advantages: beautiful jewel colors, see through, no smell to the plastic, and they don't absorb flavors of liquids.

I handwash mine.

I've read that reusing Gatorade or other product bottles is bad, that they eventually leach nasty chemicals into your water. That's not true: http://www.debris.com/journal/832

I don't use Gatorade. I use Flavors2Go. More convenient, more flavors, more portable.

Mansmind said:
Those fumes are formaldehyde, a byproduct of burned/overheated acetal. It's ONE of the drawbacks of that polymer. I've seen operations have to empty the building when accidentally leaving it in a machine and it became overheated. It's very intense, causes your eyes to water and your throat to burn. Don't worry, not immediately detrimental, but one H$LL of an irritant. That's not to say that it's good for you.

John
I seem to recall them saying something about formaldehyde (it was about 20 years ago). Used to damn near suck the breath right out of me.

RWillieK said:
Are the insulated bottles worth the difference in price?

Robbie

no. cold water on a ride is a bad thing. your body has to use energy to warm that water up. it's a waste in energy, and cold water can also give you stomach cramps.

I put vinegar and water in 1:3 ratio and let it sit overnight. Then I wash it and let the vinegar smell evaporate overnight. I don't get any plastic or vinegar taste after that.

reviving an old thread....

I wonder- does the foul flavor that comes from the flexible bottles relate to potentially harmful outgassing of the plastic itself? Is there a health benefit to be realized choosing one type of plastic over another?

Nike makes some great very durable bottles. They're kinda frosted clear, somewhat oblong in shape, with black caps and black grippy substance on the bottle. I've had great luck with them this season and they fit the Elite Pateo cages perfectly.

Greg-O said:
no. cold water on a ride is a bad thing. your body has to use energy to warm that water up. it's a waste in energy, and cold water can also give you stomach cramps.
Everything I've read says just the opposite.