Water Bottles--ugh!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Luigi De Guzman, Apr 8, 2003.

  1. After all this ridiculous discussion on water bottles, the only thing I have to say is--

    DON'T YOU PEOPLE EVER CLEAN YOURS???

    Warm water and baking soda for new bottles; leave overnight, empty, wash with soap, rise out,
    air-dry. ready for use--no bad taste.

    washed and air-dried after *every* ride; just throw them in the dishwasher. No algae.

    -Luigi disgusted

    Tags:

  2. Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
    : After all this ridiculous discussion on water bottles, the only thing I have to say is--
    :
    : DON'T YOU PEOPLE EVER CLEAN YOURS???

    nope. never even occurred to me. i rinse 'em out .. maybe .. if i used gatorade or something.
    sometimes. they never taste bad to me, tho. i did put 'em all into the dishwasher for fun when i saw
    it here. neat!

    : Warm water and baking soda for new bottles; leave overnight, empty, wash with soap, rise out,
    : air-dry. ready for use--no bad taste.

    have to try that.

    : washed and air-dried after *every* ride; just throw them in the dishwasher. No algae.

    sounds like a lot of work.

    : disgusted

    what doesn't kill me makes me stronger!
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  3. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    > DON'T YOU PEOPLE EVER CLEAN YOURS???
    >
    > Warm water and baking soda for new bottles; leave overnight, empty, wash with soap, rise out,
    > air-dry. ready for use--no bad taste.
    >
    > washed and air-dried after *every* ride; just throw them in the dishwasher. No algae.
    >
    > -Luigi disgusted

    You probably wash coffee cups too.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  4. In article <[email protected]>, David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : After all this ridiculous discussion on water bottles, the only thing I have to say is--
    > :
    > : DON'T YOU PEOPLE EVER CLEAN YOURS???
    >
    > nope. never even occurred to me. i rinse 'em out .. maybe .. if i used gatorade or something.
    > sometimes. they never taste bad to me, tho. i did put 'em all into the dishwasher for fun when i
    > saw it here. neat!
    >
    > : Warm water and baking soda for new bottles; leave overnight, empty, wash with soap, rise out,
    > : air-dry. ready for use--no bad taste.
    >
    > have to try that.
    >
    > : washed and air-dried after *every* ride; just throw them in the dishwasher. No algae.
    >
    > sounds like a lot of work.
    >
    > : disgusted
    >
    > what doesn't kill me makes me stronger!

    ewwww... gross. You have to wash the bottles! especially if you go off-road. You know what kind of
    microbes you can pick up out there?

    I wash mine out after every ride.

    HOwver, I don't change my sheets more than once a month and wear the same pair of socks for at
    least a week.

  5. Slider2699

    Slider2699 Guest

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, David Reuteler
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > : After all this ridiculous discussion on water bottles, the only thing I have to say is--
    > > :
    > > : DON'T YOU PEOPLE EVER CLEAN YOURS???
    > >
    > > nope. never even occurred to me. i rinse 'em out .. maybe .. if i used gatorade or something.
    > > sometimes. they never taste bad to me, tho. i
    did
    > > put 'em all into the dishwasher for fun when i saw it here. neat!
    > >
    > > : Warm water and baking soda for new bottles; leave overnight, empty, wash with soap, rise out,
    > > : air-dry. ready for use--no bad taste.
    > >
    > > have to try that.
    > >
    > > : washed and air-dried after *every* ride; just throw them in the dishwasher. No algae.
    > >
    > > sounds like a lot of work.
    > >
    > > : disgusted
    > >
    > > what doesn't kill me makes me stronger!
    >
    > ewwww... gross. You have to wash the bottles! especially if you go off-road. You know what kind of
    > microbes you can pick up out there?
    >
    > I wash mine out after every ride.

    Mold is nature's penicillin. Plus it's high in carbs....

  6. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, David Reuteler
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > : After all this ridiculous discussion on water bottles, the only thing I have to say is--
    > > :
    > > : DON'T YOU PEOPLE EVER CLEAN YOURS???
    > >
    > > nope. never even occurred to me. i rinse 'em out .. maybe .. if i used gatorade or something.
    > > sometimes. they never taste bad to me, tho. i
    did
    > > put 'em all into the dishwasher for fun when i saw it here. neat!
    > >
    > > : Warm water and baking soda for new bottles; leave overnight, empty, wash with soap, rise out,
    > > : air-dry. ready for use--no bad taste.
    > >
    > > have to try that.
    > >
    > > : washed and air-dried after *every* ride; just throw them in the dishwasher. No algae.
    > >
    > > sounds like a lot of work.
    > >
    > > : disgusted
    > >
    > > what doesn't kill me makes me stronger!
    >
    > ewwww... gross. You have to wash the bottles! especially if you go off-road. You know what kind of
    > microbes you can pick up out there?

    Especially if you're riding horse trails.

    > I wash mine out after every ride.

    Washing off more important. I prefer to use backpack hydration systems or none at all if I will be
    riding such conditions. Riding the road is another story.

    > HOwver, I don't change my sheets more than once a month and wear the same pair of socks for at
    > least a week.

    Yikes! I hope you at least brush the crumbs off the sheets.

    Robin Hubert

  7. Tim Cain

    Tim Cain Guest

  8. David Reuteler wrote:
    : what doesn't kill me makes me stronger!

    Tim Cain <[email protected]_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote:
    : Does that include a crippling bout of childhood polio?

    whooping cough. i was born in malaysia.

    this has been a hard won philosophy.
    --

  9. Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > You probably wash coffee cups too.

    On occasion. but then, the way I make coffee, there's precious little that can live through a fresh
    cup being poured.

    -Luigi

  10. Tim Cain

    Tim Cain Guest

    "David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > David Reuteler wrote:
    > : what doesn't kill me makes me stronger!
    >
    > Tim Cain <[email protected]_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote:
    > : Does that include a crippling bout of childhood polio?
    >
    > whooping cough. i was born in malaysia.

    I've got a frickin' ear infection myself right now. (one whole side of my head has got toothache).

    Let's hope it pays off strength-wise!

    Tim.

  11. David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > : Warm water and baking soda for new bottles; leave overnight, empty, wash with soap, rise out,
    > : air-dry. ready for use--no bad taste.
    >
    > have to try that.

    Forgot to mention: some people advocate using a *small* amount of chlorine bleach (e.g. a bottle-cap
    full, or less) diluted in the bottle full of water, then repeated rinsing. I decided not to go this
    route, being generally wary of swallowing bleach.

    > : washed and air-dried after *every* ride; just throw them in the dishwasher. No algae.
    >
    > sounds like a lot of work.

    not at all. you wash dishes, right? two bottles are a trivial addition.

    > : disgusted
    >
    > what doesn't kill me makes me stronger!

    Yeah, I'll buy that, a bit of it. Was born in the Philippines and go back every now and then to
    visit family. My younger brothers were born Stateside, & they can't eat/drink quite as merrily as I
    can--my antibodies are still kicking around.

    But I still won't drink mold or slime if I can possibly help it. As a species, we have spent five
    thousand years trying to create systems that ensure a clean, fresh water supply. That tells me
    something...

    -Luigi

  12. [email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    But I still won't drink mold or slime if I can possibly help it. As a
    > species, we have spent five thousand years trying to create systems that ensure a clean, fresh
    > water supply. That tells me something...
    >
    > -Luigi

    You wouldn't like the tap water in Toronto.

    Every summer, the authorities announce that the water is safe to drink, the foul smell is just
    algae which multiplies wildly in the heat and isn't filtered out at the treatment plant.

    Considering the water is drawn from Lake Ontario,
    which is where our (mostly) treated sewage is dumped,
    I think a little algae is the least of our concerns.

    (and of course, there's our friend, the Canada Goose)

  13. [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > ewwww... gross. You have to wash the bottles! especially if you go off-road. You know what kind of
    > microbes you can pick up out there?
    >
    > I wash mine out after every ride.

    More important to rinse the %$#@ off the nozzle as you ride, before drinking. Doesn't usually get
    inside, unless you're refilling from those yummy-looking puddles along the way.

    Probably good to wash the %$#@ from your mouth area as well, if you want to be fussy. Depends how
    much spray you get (memo to self: buy and install fenders, already).

    Reminds me of the time a cat drooled on my lips. She used to sit on my chest playing with my
    beard (I was lying down) and I guess she got over-excited. Fortunately, my mouth was closed at
    the time. Although some people kiss their dogs. Or worse.

    > HOwver, I don't change my sheets more than once a month

    You're supposed to change sheets ? Nobody tells me anything.

    > and wear the same pair of socks for at least a week.

    Saves wearing shoes, since they're as stiff as leather ...

  14. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (mark
    freedman) wrote:

    >snip

    > (and of course, there's our friend, the Canada Goose)

    What?

    You drink goose pea???

    ....:)

    I wish the rain/snow/rain would stop. Spring has sprung right back to winter. It does keep the
    Canada Geese from coming north however.

    HAND

  15. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Luigi de
    Guzman) wrote:

    > David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > : Warm water and baking soda for new bottles; leave overnight, empty, wash with soap, rise out,
    > > : air-dry. ready for use--no bad taste.
    > >
    > > have to try that.
    >
    > Forgot to mention: some people advocate using a *small* amount of chlorine bleach (e.g. a
    > bottle-cap full, or less) diluted in the bottle full of water, then repeated rinsing. I decided
    > not to go this route, being generally wary of swallowing bleach.

    Try peroxide instead, it doesn't have that clorox taste and works just as well.

  16. In article <[email protected]>, "Robin Hubert"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, David Reuteler <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > > : After all this ridiculous discussion on water bottles, the only thing I have to say is--
    > > > :
    > > > : DON'T YOU PEOPLE EVER CLEAN YOURS???
    > > >
    > > > nope. never even occurred to me. i rinse 'em out .. maybe .. if i used gatorade or something.
    > > > sometimes. they never taste bad to me, tho. i
    > did
    > > > put 'em all into the dishwasher for fun when i saw it here. neat!
    > > >

    > > I wash mine out after every ride.
    >
    > Washing off more important. I prefer to use backpack hydration systems or none at all if I will be
    > riding such conditions. Riding the road is another story.
    >
    > > HOwver, I don't change my sheets more than once a month and wear the same pair of socks for at
    > > least a week.
    >
    > Yikes! I hope you at least brush the crumbs off the sheets.
    >
    > Robin Hubert

    Off the pillowcases, not the sheets.

  17. In article <[email protected]>, "H. M. Leary"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (mark
    > freedman) wrote:
    >
    > >snip
    >
    > > (and of course, there's our friend, the Canada Goose)
    >
    > What?
    >
    > You drink goose pea???
    >
    > ....:)
    >
    > I wish the rain/snow/rain would stop. Spring has sprung right back to winter. It does keep the
    > Canada Geese from coming north however.
    >
    > HAND

    I think the cold weather and snow are behind is at last. I haven't heard any geese flying overhead.
    Usually I'll catch them at least once in the spring. It's so cool, you hear that honking and you
    look up- and there they are! But i haven't seen them yet.

  18. Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote:
    : wear the same pair of socks for at least a week.

    my god marlene, that's disgusting. are they wool or at the least not cotton?
    --

  19. Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
    : not at all. you wash dishes, right? two bottles are a trivial addition.

    ummm .. i wash dishes as often as marlene changes socks.
    --

  20. Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Try peroxide instead, it doesn't have that clorox taste and works just as well.

    a few months back someone mentioned jack daniels. i'm a larger fan of that. mix 1/3 jack, 1/3 diet
    coke (little critters love sugar, nothing lives through nutrasweet) and 1/3 ice. fill to top. maybe
    let sit for a while and then consume.

    if you clean your bottles more than once a week (say friday night) could be a problem.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]