Water in bottom bracket?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by PatC, Mar 20, 2005.

  1. PatC

    PatC Guest

    I recently replaced my Capy Centaur 53/39 with a compact. I had the funky
    Centaur BB, and took it by the bike shop to have them break it loose. When
    they did, water poured out on the floor. I looked underneath the BB and on
    the chainstays, and there are no drain holes.

    First, I avoid riding in the rain, but I occasionally get caught in it.
    Next, it appears there are some decent size holes around the water bottle
    mounts.

    The bike has had about 2000 miles of opportunity to collect water, so how
    did it get in? How should I get it out, and how should I keep it out?

    PS - it's an all-aluminum frame, if you want to suggest drilling...

    Tags:

  2. Ken Marcet

    Ken Marcet Guest

    "PatC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I recently replaced my Capy Centaur 53/39 with a compact. I had the funky
    > Centaur BB, and took it by the bike shop to have them break it loose.

    When
    > they did, water poured out on the floor. I looked underneath the BB and

    on
    > the chainstays, and there are no drain holes.
    >
    > First, I avoid riding in the rain, but I occasionally get caught in it.
    > Next, it appears there are some decent size holes around the water bottle
    > mounts.
    >
    > The bike has had about 2000 miles of opportunity to collect water, so how
    > did it get in? How should I get it out, and how should I keep it out?
    >

    > PS - it's an all-aluminum frame, if you want to suggest drilling...

    I would suggest drilling a small hole in the bb shell, and then plugging it
    with a rubber plug or stopper, a good place to look for a plug would be an
    auto parts store, Or even a home / harware store. It is definatley not good
    to be storing water in your frame.

    Ken

  3. "PatC" wrote:

    > The bike has had about 2000 miles of opportunity to collect water, so how
    > did it get in? How should I get it out, and how should I keep it out?

    It probably got in between the seat post and seat tube. Put a good coating
    of grease on the seat post, and put some caulking in the cutout of the seat
    tube. The grease will also prevent the seat post from getting "frozen" in
    the frame.

    Art Harris

  4. Lou Holtman

    Lou Holtman Guest

    Ken Marcet wrote:
    > "PatC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>I recently replaced my Capy Centaur 53/39 with a compact. I had the funky
    >>Centaur BB, and took it by the bike shop to have them break it loose.

    > When
    >
    >>they did, water poured out on the floor. I looked underneath the BB and

    > on
    >
    >>the chainstays, and there are no drain holes.
    >>
    >>First, I avoid riding in the rain, but I occasionally get caught in it.
    >>Next, it appears there are some decent size holes around the water bottle
    >>mounts.
    >>
    >>The bike has had about 2000 miles of opportunity to collect water, so how
    >>did it get in? How should I get it out, and how should I keep it out?
    >>

    >>PS - it's an all-aluminum frame, if you want to suggest drilling...
    >>

    > I would suggest drilling a small hole in the bb shell, and then plugging it
    > with a rubber plug or stopper, a good place to look for a plug would be an
    > auto parts store, Or even a home / harware store. It is definatley not good
    > to be storing water in your frame.
    >
    > Ken

    Why plug it? Gravity will do fine.

    Lou
    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  5. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:59:15 GMT, PatC <[email protected]> may have
    said:

    >The bike has had about 2000 miles of opportunity to collect water, so how
    >did it get in?

    Probably down the seat post, though very small amounts also could have
    come past the headset and through the downtube if the headset is not
    sealed and the head tube is open to the other tubes, which is usually
    the case. Given the lack of ventilation and/or escape routes, the
    water may have collected a few drops at a time, and even condensation
    from temperature changes might have contributed if you live in a damp
    climate.

    > How should I get it out, and how should I keep it out?

    Assuming that your seatpost is not carbon, pull it out and thoroughly
    grease the inside of the seat tube before reinserting the post; this
    will help to seal the path against additional water intrusion. Then,
    assuming that you've installed a sealed cartridge BB, drill a 1/8" or
    larger hole in the bottom of the BB shell and just leave it open.
    Many frames are supplied with such a hole present; it does not seem to
    cause any problems. If you limit the amount of water coming in, and
    allow that which intrudes to escape, the problem should be solved.

  6. PatC wrote:
    > I recently replaced my Capy Centaur 53/39 with a compact. I had the
    > funky Centaur BB, and took it by the bike shop to have them break it
    > loose. When they did, water poured out on the floor. I looked
    > underneath the BB and on the chainstays, and there are no drain holes.
    >
    > First, I avoid riding in the rain, but I occasionally get caught in
    > it. Next, it appears there are some decent size holes around the
    > water bottle mounts.
    >
    > The bike has had about 2000 miles of opportunity to collect water, so
    > how did it get in? How should I get it out, and how should I keep it
    > out?
    >

    > PS - it's an all-aluminum frame, if you want to suggest drilling...

    Drilling a hole at the bottom of the bottom bracket and greasing the seat
    tube are both very good ideas.

    Water can also accumulate via condensation; storing the bike in a cool
    place, taking it to a warm environment and then returning to a cool place. A
    hole in the bottom bracket and occasional removal of the seat for several
    days when not using the bike will allow water to escape. Or you could keep
    your bike in the house which may piss off the wife, but you won't have
    condensation problems! <grin>

  7. Ken Marcet

    Ken Marcet Guest

    "Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ken Marcet wrote:
    > > "PatC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > >>I recently replaced my Capy Centaur 53/39 with a compact. I had the

    funky
    > >>Centaur BB, and took it by the bike shop to have them break it loose.

    > > When
    > >
    > >>they did, water poured out on the floor. I looked underneath the BB and

    > > on
    > >
    > >>the chainstays, and there are no drain holes.
    > >>
    > >>First, I avoid riding in the rain, but I occasionally get caught in it.
    > >>Next, it appears there are some decent size holes around the water

    bottle
    > >>mounts.
    > >>
    > >>The bike has had about 2000 miles of opportunity to collect water, so

    how
    > >>did it get in? How should I get it out, and how should I keep it out?
    > >>

    > >>PS - it's an all-aluminum frame, if you want to suggest drilling...
    > >>

    > > I would suggest drilling a small hole in the bb shell, and then plugging

    it
    > > with a rubber plug or stopper, a good place to look for a plug would be

    an
    > > auto parts store, Or even a home / harware store. It is definatley not

    good
    > > to be storing water in your frame.
    > >
    > > Ken
    > >

    > Why plug it? Gravity will do fine.
    >
    > Lou
    > --

    Well yeah for draining, but you wouldn't want road grime and dust / dirt
    getting up in there.

    > Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  8. Lou Holtman

    Lou Holtman Guest

    Ken Marcet wrote:
    > "Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Ken Marcet wrote:
    >>
    >>>"PatC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]

    > funky

    >>>When

    >>>on

    > bottle

    > how

    >>>I would suggest drilling a small hole in the bb shell, and then plugging

    > it
    >
    >>>with a rubber plug or stopper, a good place to look for a plug would be

    > an
    >
    >>>auto parts store, Or even a home / harware store. It is definatley not

    > good
    >
    >>>to be storing water in your frame.
    >>>
    >>>Ken
    >>>

    >>Why plug it? Gravity will do fine.
    >>
    >>Lou
    >>--

    > Well yeah for draining, but you wouldn't want road grime and dust / dirt
    > getting up in there.

    That's no problem with a cartridge bottom bracket. Leave the hole open
    so you can't forget to unplug it.

    Lou
    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  9. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Dave Thompson wrote:

    > Water can also accumulate via condensation; storing the bike in a cool
    > place, taking it to a warm environment and then returning to a cool place. A
    > hole in the bottom bracket and occasional removal of the seat for several
    > days when not using the bike will allow water to escape. Or you could keep
    > your bike in the house which may piss off the wife, but you won't have
    > condensation problems! <grin>

    You could trade in your wife for a cycling compatible model.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

  10. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > "PatC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>I recently replaced my Capy Centaur 53/39 with a compact. I had the funky
    >>Centaur BB, and took it by the bike shop to have them break it loose.
    > > When
    >>they did, water poured out on the floor.

    -snip-

    Ken Marcet wrote:
    > I would suggest drilling a small hole in the bb shell, and then plugging it
    > with a rubber plug or stopper, a good place to look for a plug would be an
    > auto parts store, Or even a home / harware store. It is definatley not good
    > to be storing water in your frame.

    What's the plug for?
    A hole is sufficient.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  11. Ken Marcet

    Ken Marcet Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > > "PatC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >>I recently replaced my Capy Centaur 53/39 with a compact. I had the

    funky
    > >>Centaur BB, and took it by the bike shop to have them break it loose.
    > > > When
    > >>they did, water poured out on the floor.

    > -snip-
    >
    > Ken Marcet wrote:
    > > I would suggest drilling a small hole in the bb shell, and then plugging

    it
    > > with a rubber plug or stopper, a good place to look for a plug would be

    an
    > > auto parts store, Or even a home / harware store. It is definatley not

    good
    > > to be storing water in your frame.

    > What's the plug for?
    > A hole is sufficient.

    Well I was thinking you might not want road grime / dust / dirt getting in
    there, even with a sealed bb it might degrade the seals slightly quicker.

    > --
    > Andrew Muzi
    > www.yellowjersey.org
    > Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  12. 41

    41 Guest

    PatC wrote:
    > I recently replaced my Capy Centaur 53/39 with a compact. I had the

    funky
    > Centaur BB

    What's funky about a Centaur BB? T

  13. Ken Marcet wrote:
    > "PatC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>I recently replaced my Capy Centaur 53/39 with a compact. I had the funky
    >>Centaur BB, and took it by the bike shop to have them break it loose.

    > When
    >
    >>they did, water poured out on the floor. I looked underneath the BB and

    > on
    >
    >>the chainstays, and there are no drain holes.
    >>
    >>First, I avoid riding in the rain, but I occasionally get caught in it.
    >>Next, it appears there are some decent size holes around the water bottle
    >>mounts.
    >>
    >>The bike has had about 2000 miles of opportunity to collect water, so how
    >>did it get in? How should I get it out, and how should I keep it out?
    >>

    >>PS - it's an all-aluminum frame, if you want to suggest drilling...
    >>

    > I would suggest drilling a small hole in the bb shell, and then plugging it
    > with a rubber plug or stopper, a good place to look for a plug would be an
    > auto parts store, Or even a home / harware store. It is definatley not good
    > to be storing water in your frame.
    >
    > Ken

    Drill the hole and leave it open.

  14. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 05:34:30 -0500, "Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> > "PatC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:[email protected]

    >funky

    >> -snip-
    >>
    >> Ken Marcet wrote:
    >> > I would suggest drilling a small hole in the bb shell, and then plugging

    >it
    >> > with a rubber plug or stopper, a good place to look for a plug would be

    >an
    >> > auto parts store, Or even a home / harware store. It is definatley not

    >good
    >> > to be storing water in your frame.

    >> What's the plug for?
    >> A hole is sufficient.
    >>

    >Well I was thinking you might not want road grime / dust / dirt getting in
    >there, even with a sealed bb it might degrade the seals slightly quicker.

    Apparently that's a nonissue. Traditionally the artisan builders have cut a
    rectangular window or taken the opportunity to do something interesting like
    playing card suits or letters.

    Ron

  15. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On 21 Mar 2005 03:14:13 -0800, "41" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >PatC wrote:
    >> I recently replaced my Capy Centaur 53/39 with a compact. I had the

    >funky
    >> Centaur BB

    >What's funky about a Centaur BB? T

    Apparently it has cooties. There's a lot of negative buzz about it that strikes
    me as received lore and exaggeration.

    Ron

  16. Tom Sherman wrote:
    > Dave Thompson wrote:

    >> Water can also accumulate via condensation; storing the bike in a
    >> cool place, taking it to a warm environment and then returning to a
    >> cool place. A hole in the bottom bracket and occasional removal of
    >> the seat for several days when not using the bike will allow water
    >> to escape. Or you could keep your bike in the house which may piss
    >> off the wife, but you won't have condensation problems! <grin>

    > You could trade in your wife for a cycling compatible model.

    Luckily, my wife is my riding partner so there are no problems there. She's
    the kind that dogs me, pretty much regularly, about getting out and going
    for a ride. I hate it when that happens!

  17. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    RonSonic wrote:
    > Apparently it has cooties. There's a lot of negative buzz about it that strikes
    > me as received lore and exaggeration.

    It's a well designed piece recombining existing proven
    Campagnolo bits. Perhaps someone's uninspired by the color
    or some other small aesthetic point ?

    --

  18. On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:59:15 +0000, PatC wrote:

    > I recently replaced my Capy Centaur 53/39 with a compact. I had the funky
    > Centaur BB, and took it by the bike shop to have them break it loose. When
    > they did, water poured out on the floor. I looked underneath the BB and on
    > the chainstays, and there are no drain holes.

    The holes you see on some bikes, on the stays, are not drain holes,
    either. They are there to let heated air out during welding/brazing,
    which would othewise ruin the weld/brazing.

    > First, I avoid riding in the rain, but I occasionally get caught in it.
    > Next, it appears there are some decent size holes around the water
    > bottle mounts.

    The water is most likely getting in around the seatpost collar. A lot of
    water splashes up there in the rain. Grease the seatpost well before you
    re-insert it.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster." --Greg LeMond
    _`\(,_ |
    (_)/ (_) |

  19. On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:18:49 -0800, Dave Thompson wrote:

    > Drilling a hole at the bottom of the bottom bracket

    Drilling a hole in the bottom of the bottom bracket always strikes me like
    Curly Joe drilling a hole in the bottom of a boat to let the water out.

    > and greasing the seat
    > tube are both very good ideas.
    >
    > Water can also accumulate via condensation; storing the bike in a cool
    > place, taking it to a warm environment and then returning to a cool
    > place.

    Uh, no. There is about 2 liters of air inside the tubes of a bike. How
    much water do you think is in that air? It is a very, very small amount.
    The air also circulates very poorly, so you don't exchange much warm air
    for cold air in the process you describe. There is essentially no water
    getting in that way.

    Water may condense on the outside of the bike if it is cooler than the
    air, but in that process a large volume of air circulates past the cold
    metal, giving up water as it passes.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and
    _`\(,_ | Excellence.
    (_)/ (_) |

  20. PatC

    PatC Guest

    "41" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1111403653.615439.189490
    @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > PatC wrote:
    >> I recently replaced my Capy Centaur 53/39 with a compact. I had the

    > funky
    >> Centaur BB

    > What's funky about a Centaur BB? T

    Sorry - I've been out of town for a while. It was the one with the teeth
    on the outside, which requires a special tool, that doesn't fit any modern
    Campy BB's.