Water in bottom bracket?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by PatC, Mar 20, 2005.

  1. PatC

    PatC Guest

    PatC <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I recently replaced my Capy Centaur 53/39 with a compact. I had the
    > funky Centaur BB, and took it by the bike shop to have them break it
    > loose. When they did, water poured out on the floor. I looked
    > underneath the BB and on the chainstays, and there are no drain holes.
    >
    > First, I avoid riding in the rain, but I occasionally get caught in
    > it. Next, it appears there are some decent size holes around the
    > water bottle mounts.
    >
    > The bike has had about 2000 miles of opportunity to collect water, so
    > how did it get in? How should I get it out, and how should I keep it
    > out?
    >

    > PS - it's an all-aluminum frame, if you want to suggest drilling...

    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I've been out of pocket for a
    while...

    I have a carbon seatpost, so no grease. I think I'll be drilling a hole -
    I think I can do a nice neat job of it. I've since noticed small holes in
    the bottom of my fork, which are open. They look maybe 1/16 inch or likely
    1 millimeter. I may try a similar size - water can seep through a very
    small hole.

    thanks again!

  2. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 04:01:24 GMT, PatC <[email protected]> wrote:

    >PatC <[email protected]> wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> I recently replaced my Capy Centaur 53/39 with a compact. I had the
    >> funky Centaur BB, and took it by the bike shop to have them break it
    >> loose. When they did, water poured out on the floor. I looked
    >> underneath the BB and on the chainstays, and there are no drain holes.
    >>
    >> First, I avoid riding in the rain, but I occasionally get caught in
    >> it. Next, it appears there are some decent size holes around the
    >> water bottle mounts.
    >>
    >> The bike has had about 2000 miles of opportunity to collect water, so
    >> how did it get in? How should I get it out, and how should I keep it
    >> out?
    >>

    >> PS - it's an all-aluminum frame, if you want to suggest drilling...
    >>

    >Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I've been out of pocket for a
    >while...
    >
    >I have a carbon seatpost, so no grease. I think I'll be drilling a hole -
    >I think I can do a nice neat job of it. I've since noticed small holes in
    >the bottom of my fork, which are open. They look maybe 1/16 inch or likely
    >1 millimeter. I may try a similar size - water can seep through a very
    >small hole.

    The holes in your fork, like the ones you'll find in chain and seat stays and
    the one in the seat tube under the top tube, permit brazing without the heat
    expanding the air and water vapor inside the tubes and affecting the joints.

    A hole that size will not allow water to drain from your bottom bracket surface
    tension will prevent it. Water only seeps through a small hole if it will cause
    a problem there, and requires a large hole to leave someplace it shouldn't be.
    This is Murphy's application to drainage. More seriously, something about 1/4"
    seems standard.

    Ron