water in Cane Creek AD-5

meb

New Member
Aug 21, 2003
1,219
Left a floor pump outside in the recent rain downpour. I have a high pressure floor pump that I often pump up my AD-5 suspension shock to 160 lbs. I got 1-2 pumps of the handle in before I got suspicious something was amis. When I uncoupled, water mist sprayed out. Further uncoupled pumpings resulted in a steady stream plus mist.

I gave up filling, but is there any chance the water will damage the AD-5?

Should I try and evacuate the shock?
If so, should I do so with the valve down to drain the shock?

meb wrote:
> Left a floor pump outside in the recent rain downpour. I have a high
> pressure floor pump that I often pump up my AD-5 suspension shock to 160
> lbs. I got 1-2 pumps of the handle in before I got suspicious something
> was amis. When I uncoupled, water mist sprayed out. Further uncoupled
> pumpings resulted in a steady stream plus mist.
>
> I gave up filling, but is there any chance the water will damage the
> AD-5?
>
> Should I try and evacuate the shock?
> If so, should I do so with the valve down to drain the shock?

i'd strip, dry, re-lube and reassemble. water is essentially
incompressible and can over-pressurize things. it can also freeze and
burst things as we enter the cold season.

"jim beam" wrote:
> meb wrote:
>> Left a floor pump outside in the recent rain downpour. I have a high
>> pressure floor pump that I often pump up my AD-5 suspension shock to 160
>> lbs. I got 1-2 pumps of the handle in before I got suspicious something
>> was amis. When I uncoupled, water mist sprayed out. Further uncoupled
>> pumpings resulted in a steady stream plus mist.
>> I gave up filling, but is there any chance the water will damage the
>> AD-5?
>>
>> Should I try and evacuate the shock?
>> If so, should I do so with the valve down to drain the shock?
>>

> i'd strip, dry, re-lube and reassemble.

Hopefully "jim" is referring to the shock and not himself, but with the
indefinite reference, that determination is not possible.

> water is essentially
> incompressible and can over-pressurize things. it can also freeze and
> burst things as we enter the cold season.

The bulk modulus of water is 2.15×10^9 Pa.

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

Tom Sherman wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote:
>> meb wrote:
>>> Left a floor pump outside in the recent rain downpour. I have a high
>>> pressure floor pump that I often pump up my AD-5 suspension shock to 160
>>> lbs. I got 1-2 pumps of the handle in before I got suspicious something
>>> was amis. When I uncoupled, water mist sprayed out. Further uncoupled
>>> pumpings resulted in a steady stream plus mist. I gave up filling,
>>> but is there any chance the water will damage the
>>> AD-5?
>>>
>>> Should I try and evacuate the shock?
>>> If so, should I do so with the valve down to drain the shock?
>>>

>> i'd strip, dry, re-lube and reassemble.

> Hopefully "jim" is referring to the shock and not himself, but with the
> indefinite reference, that determination is not possible.

grow up.

>> water is essentially incompressible and can over-pressurize things.
>> it can also freeze and burst things as we enter the cold season.

> The bulk modulus of water is 2.15×10^9 Pa.

and compared to air, that is....

"jim beam" wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> i'd strip, dry, re-lube and reassemble.

>> Hopefully "jim" is referring to the shock and not himself, but with
>> the indefinite reference, that determination is not possible.

> grow up.

Stop using indefinite references. Good thing you are not preparing
deliverables for clients with this degree of sloppiness.

>>> water is essentially incompressible and can over-pressurize things.
>>> it can also freeze and burst things as we enter the cold season.

>> The bulk modulus of water is 2.15×10^9 Pa.

> and compared to air, that is....

Since "jim" in the past has shown an unwillingness to look up and post
values, air is 1.42×10^5(adiabatic bulk modulus) or 1.01×10^5 Pa
(constant temperature bulk modulus). This is roughly four orders of
magnitude lower than water.

Of course, without knowing the quantity of water, it is not possible to
determine to what extend the stiffness of the fluid "spring" in the
shock will be affected.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> Hopefully "jim" is referring to the shock and not himself, but with
>>> the indefinite reference, that determination is not possible.

>> grow up.

> Stop using indefinite references. Good thing you are not preparing
> deliverables for clients with this degree of sloppiness.

>>> The bulk modulus of water is 2.15×10^9 Pa.

>> and compared to air, that is....

> Since "jim" in the past has shown an unwillingness to look up and post
> values, air is 1.42×10^5(adiabatic bulk modulus) or 1.01×10^5 Pa
> (constant temperature bulk modulus). This is roughly four orders of
> magnitude lower than water.

only 4 orders. that's not significant then! move along folks - nothing
to see here.

> Of course, without knowing the quantity of water, it is not possible to
> determine to what extend the stiffness of the fluid "spring" in the
> shock will be affected.

civil engineering 101 - dress presumption as fact since you can't test.

"jim beam" wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> grow up.

>> Stop using indefinite references. Good thing you are not preparing
>> deliverables for clients with this degree of sloppiness.

>>> and compared to air, that is....

>> Since "jim" in the past has shown an unwillingness to look up and post
>> values, air is 1.42×10^5(adiabatic bulk modulus) or 1.01×10^5 Pa
>> (constant temperature bulk modulus). This is roughly four orders of
>> magnitude lower than water.

> only 4 orders. that's not significant then! move along folks - nothing
> to see here.

The significance depends on the relative proportions of air and water.

>> Of course, without knowing the quantity of water, it is not possible
>> to determine to what extend the stiffness of the fluid "spring" in the
>> shock will be affected.

> civil engineering 101 - dress presumption as fact since you can't test.

Lots of things can be and are tested. But feel free to live out in the
forest if you do not believe so. ;)

Tom Sherman wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> Stop using indefinite references. Good thing you are not preparing
>>> deliverables for clients with this degree of sloppiness.

>>> Since "jim" in the past has shown an unwillingness to look up and
>>> post values, air is 1.42×10^5(adiabatic bulk modulus) or 1.01×10^5 Pa
>>> (constant temperature bulk modulus). This is roughly four orders of
>>> magnitude lower than water.

>> only 4 orders. that's not significant then! move along folks -
>> nothing to see here.

> The significance depends on the relative proportions of air and water.

er, no, the significance depends on 4 orders of magnitude!

>>> Of course, without knowing the quantity of water, it is not possible
>>> to determine to what extend the stiffness of the fluid "spring" in
>>> the shock will be affected.

>> civil engineering 101 - dress presumption as fact since you can't test.

> Lots of things can be and are tested.

when is the last time you saw a bridge destruction tested?

> But feel free to live out in the
> forest if you do not believe so. ;)

more civil engineering wisdom?

"jim beam" wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> only 4 orders. that's not significant then! move along folks -
>>> nothing to see here.

>> The significance depends on the relative proportions of air and water.

> er, no, the significance depends on 4 orders of magnitude!

Do you recommend against filling shocks with ambient air, since it
contains some water vapor, then? Or do you admit that at some proportion
the presence of water becomes insignificant, despite its much greater
bulk modulus?

>>> civil engineering 101 - dress presumption as fact since you can't test.

>> Lots of things can be and are tested.

> when is the last time you saw a bridge destruction tested?

Feel free to ford all streams and rivers then. ;)

>> But feel free to live out in the forest if you do not believe so. ;)

> more civil engineering wisdom?

If you want to avoid structures that have not been destructively tested,
there is little choice but to live out in the open. I suppose you could
buy a series of small prefabricated sheds and test them to destruction
with wind, snow and earthquake loads. ;)

jim beam <[email protected]> writes:

> when is the last time you saw a bridge destruction tested?

A picture of it standing with a static load should suffice.

--
Joe [Smart Ass] Riel

Joe Riel wrote:
> jim beam <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> when is the last time you saw a bridge destruction tested?

> A picture of it standing with a static load should suffice.

lol!