water in Cane Creek AD-5

"jim beam" wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:

>> - delete excess text -

>>> for the purpose of demonstrating that it supports load, or for the
>>> spoke nipples to unscrew and the spokes to fatigue?

>> How far to failure for the wheel missing spokes compared to an
>> otherwise identical wheel with a full spoke complement.

> you tell me! do the experiment!

Why? I am not the one claiming it is a functional wheel.

Tradition is the worst rational for action.

[email protected] wrote:
> I don't see why this experiment wasn't done with only one spoke (or a
> pair) between the hub and the top of the rim. Statically this will
> show the load hanging from the top and that the omitted spokes have no
> purpose. It could also be used to prove benefits of paired spoking.

One spoke, like a Citroen steering wheel - Cool! You could get much more
than just a squirrel in a wheel like that!
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/squirrel.jpg
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Andrew Muzi wrote:
>> Tom Sherman writes:
>>> You proved a bicycle wheel with missing spokes can support a STATIC
>>> load. BFD for the real world.

> [email protected] wrote:
>> I don't see why this experiment wasn't done with only one spoke (or a
>> pair) between the hub and the top of the rim. Statically this will
>> show the load hanging from the top and that the omitted spokes have no
>> purpose. It could also be used to prove benefits of paired spoking.

> One spoke, like a Citroen steering wheel - Cool! You could get much more
> than just a squirrel in a wheel like that!
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/squirrel.jpg

Sheldon Brown was first:
<http://sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive/bianchi-quarter.jpg>.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:
>>> - delete excess text -

>>> How far to failure for the wheel missing spokes compared to an
>>> otherwise identical wheel with a full spoke complement.

>> you tell me! do the experiment!

> Why? I am not the one claiming it is a functional wheel.

er, we've already discussed "functional" - read up thread. /you/ want
to test "reliable", and for that, the ball is in /your/ court. i look
forward to your contribution.

jim beam wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> you tell me! do the experiment!

>> Why? I am not the one claiming it is a functional wheel.
>>

> er, we've already discussed "functional" - read up thread. /you/ want
> to test "reliable", and for that, the ball is in /your/ court. i look
> forward to your contribution.

I make no claims of expectation of the wheel being reliable. The static
test is rather pointless as regards real world use, no?

Tom Sherman wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> Why? I am not the one claiming it is a functional wheel.
>>>

>> er, we've already discussed "functional" - read up thread. /you/ want
>> to test "reliable", and for that, the ball is in /your/ court. i look
>> forward to your contribution.

> I make no claims of expectation of the wheel being reliable. The static
> test is rather pointless as regards real world use, no?

its point is to demonstrate that the wheel doesn't "collapse" with slack
and/or missing spokes, contrary to jobstian wheel theory. in that
regard, it is utterly /on/ point.

what's pointless is your constant lightweight bleating about trying to
prove it won't last in service, something that should be obvious to even
civil engineers that aren't typically familiar with "real world" testing.

"jim beam" wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> er, we've already discussed "functional" - read up thread. /you/
>>> want to test "reliable", and for that, the ball is in /your/ court.
>>> i look forward to your contribution.

>> I make no claims of expectation of the wheel being reliable. The
>> static test is rather pointless as regards real world use, no?
>>

> its point is to demonstrate that the wheel doesn't "collapse" with slack
> and/or missing spokes, contrary to jobstian wheel theory. in that
> regard, it is utterly /on/ point.

Where is the contradiction to Jobst Brandt's wheel theory? As for
collapsing, "jim's" static test is not as severe for a front wheel as
hitting a pothole during hard braking would be (this may not be obvious
to the materials' scientist).

> what's pointless is your constant lightweight bleating about trying to
> prove it won't last in service, something that should be obvious to even
> civil engineers that aren't typically familiar with "real world" testing.

"jim" again shows his ignorance of engineering. The end products we
design are tested in use, and we are legally responsible to the owner if
they fail to perform as specified (another concept that appears to be
foreign to the materials' scientist).

Tom Sherman wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> I make no claims of expectation of the wheel being reliable. The
>>> static test is rather pointless as regards real world use, no?
>>>

>> its point is to demonstrate that the wheel doesn't "collapse" with
>> slack and/or missing spokes, contrary to jobstian wheel theory. in
>> that regard, it is utterly /on/ point.

> Where is the contradiction to Jobst Brandt's wheel theory?

jobst tells us that a wheel with slack spokes will, his word,
"collapse". it doesn't.

> As for
> collapsing, "jim's" static test is not as severe for a front wheel as
> hitting a pothole during hard braking would be (this may not be obvious
> to the materials' scientist).

no **** sherlock. but my 205# ass sitting directly above a slack, spoke
deficient wheel defies jobstian "standing" theory.

>> what's pointless is your constant lightweight bleating about trying to
>> prove it won't last in service, something that should be obvious to
>> even civil engineers that aren't typically familiar with "real world"
>> testing.

> "jim" again shows his ignorance of engineering. The end products we
> design are tested in use, and we are legally responsible to the owner if
> they fail to perform as specified (another concept that appears to be
> foreign to the materials' scientist).

raw nerve about civil engineers not testing their own products? or
you're worried about standing behind the words coming out of your own
big mouth because of legal liability? that's ********. you won't act
because you're a lightweight.

"jim beam" wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> its point is to demonstrate that the wheel doesn't "collapse" with
>>> slack and/or missing spokes, contrary to jobstian wheel theory. in
>>> that regard, it is utterly /on/ point.

>> Where is the contradiction to Jobst Brandt's wheel theory?

> jobst tells us that a wheel with slack spokes will, his word,
> "collapse". it doesn't.

Under what loading conditions?

>> As for collapsing, "jim's" static test is not as severe for a front
>> wheel as hitting a pothole during hard braking would be (this may not
>> be obvious to the materials' scientist).

> no **** sherlock. but my 205# ass sitting directly above a slack, spoke
> deficient wheel defies jobstian "standing" theory.

It does?

>>> what's pointless is your constant lightweight bleating about trying
>>> to prove it won't last in service, something that should be obvious
>>> to even civil engineers that aren't typically familiar with "real
>>> world" testing.

>> "jim" again shows his ignorance of engineering. The end products we
>> design are tested in use, and we are legally responsible to the owner
>> if they fail to perform as specified (another concept that appears to
>> be foreign to the materials' scientist).

> raw nerve about civil engineers not testing their own products?

Huh?

> or
> you're worried about standing behind the words coming out of your own
> big mouth because of legal liability?

Huh?

> that's ********. you won't act because you're a lightweight.

No, why should I spend my own money and risk injury to do "jim's" work
for him/her/them/it?

"the grinning buddy bear carries a fork." - g.d.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> Where is the contradiction to Jobst Brandt's wheel theory?

>> jobst tells us that a wheel with slack spokes will, his word,
>> "collapse". it doesn't.

> Under what loading conditions?

ask jobst! he's the one making underinformed presumptive blanket
statements.

>>> As for collapsing, "jim's" static test is not as severe for a front
>>> wheel as hitting a pothole during hard braking would be (this may not
>>> be obvious to the materials' scientist).

>> no **** sherlock. but my 205# ass sitting directly above a slack,
>> spoke deficient wheel defies jobstian "standing" theory.

> It does?

i'm sorry, did the wheel collapse? or is the picture a fraud and it's
actually supporting no weight at all?

>>> "jim" again shows his ignorance of engineering. The end products we
>>> design are tested in use, and we are legally responsible to the owner
>>> if they fail to perform as specified (another concept that appears to
>>> be foreign to the materials' scientist).

>> raw nerve about civil engineers not testing their own products?

> Huh?
>
>> or you're worried about standing behind the words coming out of your
>> own big mouth because of legal liability?

> Huh?
>
>> that's ********. you won't act because you're a lightweight.

> No, why should I spend my own money and risk injury to do "jim's" work
> for him/her/them/it?

you have a.s. you can't address reality. you're fixated by trivia and
paralyzed by your inability to deal.

"jim beam" wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> jobst tells us that a wheel with slack spokes will, his word,
>>> "collapse". it doesn't.

>> Under what loading conditions?

> ask jobst! he's the one making underinformed presumptive blanket
> statements.

>>> no **** sherlock. but my 205# ass sitting directly above a slack,
>>> spoke deficient wheel defies jobstian "standing" theory.

>> It does?

> i'm sorry, did the wheel collapse? or is the picture a fraud and it's
> actually supporting no weight at all?

But a static test is not representative of riding conditions, eh?

As to whether or not the picture is a fraud, that goes to the
credibility of the poster. How much credibility do sock puppets have,
anyhow?

>>> raw nerve about civil engineers not testing their own products?

>> Huh?
>>
>>> or you're worried about standing behind the words coming out of your
>>> own big mouth because of legal liability?

>> Huh?
>>
>>> that's ********. you won't act because you're a lightweight.

>> No, why should I spend my own money and risk injury to do "jim's" work
>> for him/her/them/it?
>>

> you have a.s.

Do you find that humorous?

> you can't address reality.

Says Mr. Sock Puppet.

> you're fixated by trivia and paralyzed by your inability to deal.

Deal what (missing object)?

Tom Sherman wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> Under what loading conditions?

>> ask jobst! he's the one making underinformed presumptive blanket
>> statements.

>>> It does?

>> i'm sorry, did the wheel collapse? or is the picture a fraud and it's
>> actually supporting no weight at all?

> But a static test is not representative of riding conditions, eh?

no? so when is the last time you tested a full size bridge to
destruction then?

> As to whether or not the picture is a fraud, that goes to the
> credibility of the poster. How much credibility do sock puppets have,
> anyhow?

how much to lightweights have?

>>> Huh?

>>> Huh?

>>> No, why should I spend my own money and risk injury to do "jim's"
>>> work for him/her/them/it?
>>>

>> you have a.s.

> Do you find that humorous?

no. i think you need help.

>> you can't address reality.

> Says Mr. Sock Puppet.
>
>> you're fixated by trivia and paralyzed by your inability to deal.

> Deal what (missing object)?

see above.

jim beam wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:

- delete offending text -

>>> ********. why do you have to resort to putting lies in my mouth? is
>>> it because you're a lightweight?

>> You wrote it, "jim":
>> <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/df61fa7fce144bc4?dmode=source>.

> which i clarified for you since you're too much of a freakin'
> lightweight to follow my "rationale".
>
> "and 300N applied as pure torque loading is unrealistic."
>
> want to ******** some more?

Yo "jim", you forgot to specify the moment arm, without which it is a
force, not a torque. Duh!

So apparently "jim" has a problem stating what he means in English, if
he/she/them/it actually knows that the newton (N) is not a unit of torque.

- delete more offending text -

>>> er, my model demonstrates the fact that loose/missing spokes do not
>>> cause wheel collapse, i.e., the wheel does not depend on tension for
>>> load bearing, contrary to jobstian theory. /you/ otoh, keep trying
>>> to deviate from the purpose of such a demonstration with a fatigue
>>> reliability red herring. and with the obsessive inability to grasp
>>> detail of an a.s. sufferer.

>> "jim's" test demonstrates that the wheel does not collapse only under
>> ONE condition that has NO RELEVANCE TO THE CONDITIONS THAT WOULD OCCUR
>> WHILE RIDING. Jobst Brandt was obviously referring to collapse that
>> would occur from actual use. Duh!

> what a fascinating self deception. tell me, how many real bridges have
> you tested to destruction then tom?

How is that relevant to the bicycle wheel?

>> "jim" also shows a great ignorance of A.S.

> you don't obviously.

Not a very snappy comeback, eh?

- delete even more offending text -

>>> stop putting ******** in my mouth. i didn't say that - /you/ said i
>>> said it. lightweight.

>> See
>> <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/df61fa7fce144bc4?dmode=source>.

> see above. bullshitter.

See above, "jim", and learn to write English.

>>> er, refusal to let a credentials pissing contest distract from the
>>> facts is not cowardice. resorting to childish lies of
>>> misrepresentation otoh, that looks pretty damned cowardly to me.

>> No "jim" - tell us why you are afraid to use your real name here?
>> Common friends with other posters you flame that you would not want to
>> lose? Not wanting your personal agenda revealed?
>>
>> For better or worse, people like Jobst Brandt put their reputations on
>> the line when they post here. Sock puppets risk nothing. Duh!

> what? and foolishly get into a credentials pissing match where the great
> and mighty jobst brandt can play his stanford card? the stanford card
> that invariably bamboozles the ignorati and that has shamelessly been
> used to intimidate those who actually dare to point out that he doesn't
> know what he's talking about? i'm not that freakin' stupid. of course,
> if you were smart, you'd have figured that out, but instead you want to
> revel in your ability to swallow red herrings. what a lightweight!

What are you afraid of "jim" - that you are actually not a former
materials scientist?

> as for "reputations", tell you what, you try putting yours on the
> line with some factual contributions for a change. all you've done in
> all these years is **** and moan. i have a /great/ idea for you to make
> a contribution - how about you do some wheel reliability testing?
> you're not too cowardly to do that are you?

Ooooooooh, a challenge from an anonymous coward sock puppet!

"the grinning buddy bear carries a fork." - g.d.