water in Cane Creek AD-5

Joe Riel wrote:
> jim beam <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> when is the last time you saw a bridge destruction tested?

> A picture of it standing with a static load should suffice.

lol!

Tom Sherman wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> The significance depends on the relative proportions of air and water.

>> er, no, the significance depends on 4 orders of magnitude!

> Do you recommend against filling shocks with ambient air, since it
> contains some water vapor, then? Or do you admit that at some proportion
> the presence of water becomes insignificant, despite its much greater
> bulk modulus?

>>> Lots of things can be and are tested.

>> when is the last time you saw a bridge destruction tested?

> Feel free to ford all streams and rivers then. ;)

so, when is the last time you saw a bridge destruction tested?

>>> But feel free to live out in the forest if you do not believe so. ;)

>> more civil engineering wisdom?

> If you want to avoid structures that have not been destructively tested,
> there is little choice but to live out in the open. I suppose you could
> buy a series of small prefabricated sheds and test them to destruction
> with wind, snow and earthquake loads. ;)

feel free to test a nice convenient little wheel tom. then we'll know
you're serious, not just bleating to relieve your own boredom.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> The significance depends on the relative proportions of air and water.

>> er, no, the significance depends on 4 orders of magnitude!

> Do you recommend against filling shocks with ambient air, since it
> contains some water vapor, then? Or do you admit that at some proportion
> the presence of water becomes insignificant, despite its much greater
> bulk modulus?

missed this bit - the "correct" solution is dried nitrogen. but since i
don't have any, and i'll take normal air.

btw, have you any advice for the o.p? or are you just here to **** and
moan? [rhetorical]

"jim beam" wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> er, no, the significance depends on 4 orders of magnitude!

>> Do you recommend against filling shocks with ambient air, since it
>> contains some water vapor, then? Or do you admit that at some
>> proportion the presence of water becomes insignificant, despite its
>> much greater bulk modulus?

>>> when is the last time you saw a bridge destruction tested?

>> Feel free to ford all streams and rivers then. ;)

> so, when is the last time you saw a bridge destruction tested?

Come up with a few hundred millions dollars, and we can have that
arranged. In the meanwhile, buy extra grease - submerging your bearing
while fording is hard on them.

>>> more civil engineering wisdom?

>> If you want to avoid structures that have not been destructively
>> tested, there is little choice but to live out in the open. I suppose
>> you could buy a series of small prefabricated sheds and test them to
>> destruction with wind, snow and earthquake loads. ;)
>>

> feel free to test a nice convenient little wheel tom. then we'll know
> you're serious, not just bleating to relieve your own boredom.

Why should I do YOUR work for you, "jim"?

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

"jim beam" wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> er, no, the significance depends on 4 orders of magnitude!

>> Do you recommend against filling shocks with ambient air, since it
>> contains some water vapor, then? Or do you admit that at some
>> proportion the presence of water becomes insignificant, despite its
>> much greater bulk modulus?

> missed this bit - the "correct" solution is dried nitrogen. but since i
> don't have any, and i'll take normal air.

So you admit that a very small amount of water is not so significant as
to make it worth your while to go to the welding supply shop for a tank
of compressed nitrogen? Despite water having a bulk modulus four orders
of magnitude greater than air? So relative proportions do matter?

> btw, have you any advice for the o.p? or are you just here to **** and
> moan? [rhetorical]

Hey, I was requested to do this by Andres Muro. ;)

"jim beam" wrote:
> Joe Riel wrote:
>> jim beam <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> when is the last time you saw a bridge destruction tested?

>> A picture of it standing with a static load should suffice.
>>

> lol!

So the original Tacoma Narrows Bridge is still standing? Did it fail
from excess static loading?

Joe Riel wrote:
> jim beam <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> when is the last time you saw a bridge destruction tested?

> A picture of it standing with a static load should suffice.

butbutbut, this ignores important dynamic loads. Google "Tacoma Narrows
Bridge".

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> writes:

> Joe Riel wrote:
>> jim beam <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> when is the last time you saw a bridge destruction tested?

>> A picture of it standing with a static load should suffice.
>>

> butbutbut, this ignores important dynamic loads. Google "Tacoma
> Narrows Bridge".

TomTomTom, did you not notice the added middle name in my signature
when I responded? That was a joke; a dig at both you and jim. I hope
I'm not the only one to see the irony here. Think about what else
my comment applies to.

--
Joe [too subtle?] Riel

Joe Riel wrote:
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Joe Riel wrote:

>>> A picture of it standing with a static load should suffice.
>>>

>> butbutbut, this ignores important dynamic loads. Google "Tacoma
>> Narrows Bridge".

> TomTomTom, did you not notice the added middle name in my signature
> when I responded? That was a joke; a dig at both you and jim. I hope
> I'm not the only one to see the irony here. Think about what else
> my comment applies to.

I had to apply clarification for some of the regulars who would
otherwise miss the point.

At 6:05 pm on Wednesday, August 1, 2007
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-35W_Mississippi_River_Bridge

At 6:05 pm on Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Joe Riel wrote:
>> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> writes:

>>> butbutbut, this ignores important dynamic loads. Google "Tacoma
>>> Narrows Bridge".

>> TomTomTom, did you not notice the added middle name in my signature
>> when I responded? That was a joke; a dig at both you and jim. I hope
>> I'm not the only one to see the irony here. Think about what else
>> my comment applies to.
>>

> I had to apply clarification for some of the regulars who would
> otherwise miss the point.

"whoosh"!