water in Cane Creek AD-5

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Joe Riel wrote:
>> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> writes:

>>> butbutbut, this ignores important dynamic loads. Google "Tacoma
>>> Narrows Bridge".

>> TomTomTom, did you not notice the added middle name in my signature
>> when I responded? That was a joke; a dig at both you and jim. I hope
>> I'm not the only one to see the irony here. Think about what else
>> my comment applies to.
>>

> I had to apply clarification for some of the regulars who would
> otherwise miss the point.

"whoosh"!

Tom Sherman wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote:
>> Joe Riel wrote:

>>> A picture of it standing with a static load should suffice.
>>>

>> lol!

> So the original Tacoma Narrows Bridge is still standing? Did it fail
> from excess static loading?

is it still standing because it was designed by a civil engineer?

Tom Sherman wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> Do you recommend against filling shocks with ambient air, since it
>>> contains some water vapor, then? Or do you admit that at some
>>> proportion the presence of water becomes insignificant, despite its
>>> much greater bulk modulus?

>> missed this bit - the "correct" solution is dried nitrogen. but since
>> i don't have any, and i'll take normal air.

> So you admit that a very small amount of water is not so significant as
> to make it worth your while to go to the welding supply shop for a tank
> of compressed nitrogen? Despite water having a bulk modulus four orders
> of magnitude greater than air? So relative proportions do matter?

er, do you understand what a "phase" is?

so, you're just here to **** and moan. very intelligent.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> Do you recommend against filling shocks with ambient air, since it
>>> contains some water vapor, then? Or do you admit that at some
>>> proportion the presence of water becomes insignificant, despite its
>>> much greater bulk modulus?

>>> Feel free to ford all streams and rivers then. ;)

>> so, when is the last time you saw a bridge destruction tested?

> Come up with a few hundred millions dollars, and we can have that
> arranged. In the meanwhile, buy extra grease - submerging your bearing
> while fording is hard on them.

>>> If you want to avoid structures that have not been destructively
>>> tested, there is little choice but to live out in the open. I suppose
>>> you could buy a series of small prefabricated sheds and test them to
>>> destruction with wind, snow and earthquake loads. ;)
>>>

>> feel free to test a nice convenient little wheel tom. then we'll know
>> you're serious, not just bleating to relieve your own boredom.

> Why should I do YOUR work for you, "jim"?

it's your experiment from now on, lightweight. i look forward to your
results. baaaa.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> Do you recommend against filling shocks with ambient air, since it
>>> contains some water vapor, then? Or do you admit that at some
>>> proportion the presence of water becomes insignificant, despite its
>>> much greater bulk modulus?

>>> Feel free to ford all streams and rivers then. ;)

>> so, when is the last time you saw a bridge destruction tested?

> Come up with a few hundred millions dollars, and we can have that
> arranged. In the meanwhile, buy extra grease - submerging your bearing
> while fording is hard on them.

>>> If you want to avoid structures that have not been destructively
>>> tested, there is little choice but to live out in the open. I suppose
>>> you could buy a series of small prefabricated sheds and test them to
>>> destruction with wind, snow and earthquake loads. ;)
>>>

>> feel free to test a nice convenient little wheel tom. then we'll know
>> you're serious, not just bleating to relieve your own boredom.

> Why should I do YOUR work for you, "jim"?

it's your experiment from now on, lightweight. i look forward to your
results. baaaa.

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Joe Riel wrote:
> > Tom Sherman <[email protected]> writes:

> >> butbutbut, this ignores important dynamic loads. Google "Tacoma
> >> Narrows Bridge".

> > TomTomTom, did you not notice the added middle name in my signature
> > when I responded? That was a joke; a dig at both you and jim. I hope
> > I'm not the only one to see the irony here. Think about what else
> > my comment applies to.
> >

> I had to apply clarification for some of the regulars who would
> otherwise miss the point.

You are too presumptuous in this for me to pass in silence.
Bluntly, you do not know enough speak for people here.

--
Michael Press

"jim beam" wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> so, when is the last time you saw a bridge destruction tested?

>> Come up with a few hundred millions dollars, and we can have that
>> arranged. In the meanwhile, buy extra grease - submerging your bearing
>> while fording is hard on them.

>>> feel free to test a nice convenient little wheel tom. then we'll
>>> know you're serious, not just bleating to relieve your own boredom.

>> Why should I do YOUR work for you, "jim"?
>>

> it's your experiment from now on, lightweight. i look forward to your
> results. baaaa.

Why does "jim beam" claim a result, but refuse to do the proper tests to
prove it?

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

"jim beam" wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> missed this bit - the "correct" solution is dried nitrogen. but
>>> since i don't have any, and i'll take normal air.

>> So you admit that a very small amount of water is not so significant
>> as to make it worth your while to go to the welding supply shop for a
>> tank of compressed nitrogen? Despite water having a bulk modulus four
>> orders of magnitude greater than air? So relative proportions do matter?

> er, do you understand what a "phase" is?

Yes. And some of that water vapor in the air introduced into the shock
may condense into liquid water at some point, no?

>>> btw, have you any advice for the o.p? or are you just here to ****
>>> and moan? [rhetorical]

>> Hey, I was requested to do this by Andres Muro. ;)
>>

> so, you're just here to **** and moan. very intelligent.

This from someone who has made a habit of stalking Jobst Brandt on
Usenet for some time.

"jim beam" wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> lol!

>> So the original Tacoma Narrows Bridge is still standing? Did it fail
>> from excess static loading?
>>

> is it still standing because it was designed by a civil engineer?

Would the metallurgist even have a clue on how to go about designing a
bridge? Would they spend twice the funds to destructively test every
bridge built, then rebuild it?

Michael Press wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Joe Riel wrote:

>>> TomTomTom, did you not notice the added middle name in my signature
>>> when I responded? That was a joke; a dig at both you and jim. I hope
>>> I'm not the only one to see the irony here. Think about what else
>>> my comment applies to.
>>>

>> I had to apply clarification for some of the regulars who would
>> otherwise miss the point.

> You are too presumptuous in this for me to pass in silence.
> Bluntly, you do not know enough speak for people here.

Certain people have made things clear in their posts - unless of course
they are constantly playing the fool.

Note the word "some" is not the same as "all".

Michael Press wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Joe Riel wrote:

>>> TomTomTom, did you not notice the added middle name in my signature
>>> when I responded? That was a joke; a dig at both you and jim. I hope
>>> I'm not the only one to see the irony here. Think about what else
>>> my comment applies to.
>>>

>> I had to apply clarification for some of the regulars who would
>> otherwise miss the point.

> You are too presumptuous in this for me to pass in silence.
> Bluntly, you do not know enough speak for people here.

Certain people have made things clear in their posts - unless of course
they are constantly playing the fool.

Note the word "some" is not the same as "all".

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I had to apply clarification for some of the regulars who would
> >> otherwise miss the point.

> > You are too presumptuous in this for me to pass in silence.
> > Bluntly, you do not know enough speak for people here.

> Certain people have made things clear in their posts - unless of course
> they are constantly playing the fool.
>
> Note the word "some" is not the same as "all".

Then you can name names.
Whom exactly are you calling
too dull to catch the joke?

--

Michael Press wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Michael Press wrote:

>>> You are too presumptuous in this for me to pass in silence.
>>> Bluntly, you do not know enough speak for people here.

>> Certain people have made things clear in their posts - unless of course
>> they are constantly playing the fool.
>>
>> Note the word "some" is not the same as "all".

> Then you can name names.
> Whom exactly are you calling
> too dull to catch the joke?

I would not want to embarrass anyone by naming names.

Don't get your cycling shorts in a knot, Mr. Press, I was not referring
to you.

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?