water on road rash

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by John Forrest To, May 20, 2003.

  1. I got some road rash this weekend, which I cleaned well and am keeping covered and moist -- it seems
    to be doing OK.

    But each day when I'm taking a shower the plain water on it hurts quite a lot. I can tolerate it
    but am wondering if this is slowing the healing. Should I be trying to not let water get on it?
    It seems like there is a little dead cells and liquid that comes off the wound that I'm washing
    away each day.

    JT

    Tags:

  2. Bill

    Bill Guest

    > I got some road rash this weekend, which I cleaned well and am keeping covered and moist -- it
    > seems to be doing OK.
    >
    > But each day when I'm taking a shower the plain water on it hurts quite a lot. I can tolerate it
    > but am wondering if this is slowing the healing. Should I be trying to not let water get on it? It
    > seems like there is a little dead cells and liquid that comes off the wound that I'm washing away
    > each day.
    >
    > JT
    You may want to look at the following.

    http://www.freewheel.com/mvw/cure.htm http://www.tenlinks.com/cycling/medical/roadrash.htm

  3. J999w

    J999w Guest

    >> But each day when I'm taking a shower the plain water on it hurts quite a lot. I can tolerate it
    >> but am wondering if this is slowing the healing. Should I be trying to not let water get on it?
    >> It seems like there is a little dead cells and liquid that comes off the wound that I'm washing
    >> away each day.

    Water won't hurt as long as it's clean. (no germs). Like you state, it washes away the dead cells
    and lymph fluid. THe pain is from the bare nerve endings. If it's small enough, throw a "Tegaderm"
    over it when showering, that will keep the water off the nerve endings. The biggest I've seen is
    about 4x6 inches.

    Happy healing!

    jw RN milwaukee

  4. Jeremy Gray

    Jeremy Gray Guest

    Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
    > John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> I got some road rash this weekend, which I cleaned well and am keeping covered and moist -- it
    >> seems to be doing OK.
    >>
    >> But each day when I'm taking a shower the plain water on it hurts quite a lot. I can tolerate it
    >> but am wondering if this is slowing the healing. Should I be trying to not let water get on it?
    >> It seems like there is a little dead cells and liquid that comes off the wound that I'm washing
    >> away each day.
    >
    > You may want to look at the following.
    >
    > http://www.freewheel.com/mvw/cure.htm

    Yes, indeed. I followed this advice recently, and, using the suggested tegaderm patches, was healed
    in about a week. Since the tegaderm can stay applied for a week at a time, it only hurt until I got
    the wound dressed. After that, water could get out but not in, even when showering or during
    physical activity. The liquid will stop draining after a few days.

    Also, make sure you heed the advice about taping the egdes, as it tends to unstick with time.

    --
    Jeremy A. Gray [email protected]

    "Remember the Pueblo." -- the Fourth Law of Marvin

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    (J999w) wrote:

    > >> But each day when I'm taking a shower the plain water on it hurts quite a lot. I can tolerate
    > >> it but am wondering if this is slowing the healing. Should I be trying to not let water get on
    > >> it? It seems like there is a little dead cells and liquid that comes off the wound that I'm
    > >> washing away each day.
    > >>

    > Water won't hurt as long as it's clean. (no germs). Like you state, it washes away the dead cells
    > and lymph fluid. THe pain is from the bare nerve endings. If it's small enough, throw a "Tegaderm"
    > over it when showering, that
    will keep
    > the water off the nerve endings. The biggest I've seen is about 4x6 inches.
    >
    > Happy healing!
    >
    > jw RN milwaukee

    Speaking of road rash, has anyone tried that Bandaid Liquid bandage? I have seen it advertised, but
    it's not available here just yet. Great idea, of course, being used for years by medical
    professionals, but I can see cyclists lining up for it. Probably not good for big patches of road
    rash, but for smaller ouchies it could probably be great.

  6. "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I got some road rash this weekend, which I cleaned well and am keeping covered and moist -- it
    > seems to be doing OK.
    >
    > But each day when I'm taking a shower the plain water on it hurts quite a lot. I can tolerate it
    > but am wondering if this is slowing the healing. Should I be trying to not let water get on it? It
    > seems like there is a little dead cells and liquid that comes off the wound that I'm washing away
    > each day.

    Given the years you've been racing, I'm surprised you haven't latched onto Tegaderm.

    Showers are no problem with it on, neither is riding.

  7. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:AJCya.434

    > Given the years you've been racing, I'm surprised you haven't latched onto Tegaderm.

    I rarely crash (I'm a bit of a wimp in pushy situations) and in the falls I've had haven't had road
    rash since, like, I can't remember. Maybe 1987? Sprained wrist, broken helment (incident with a car
    -- I would have been deaaddd!!!!!! without my helmet), torn clothes are all I can remember in the
    recent past.

    But yeah, I'll try to get some Tegaderm today.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  8. Otto

    Otto Guest

    JT

    keeping it wet, and washing off the slimey tissue is the quickest way to heal. It also scars
    less. I learned that the hard way when I had a big wipe out in SF years ago. try a bath, if you
    have the time.

    yer ol' teammate from #*!head

    [email protected] (John Forrest Tomlinson) wrote in
    > But each day when I'm taking a shower the plain water on it hurts quite a lot. I can tolerate it
    > but am wondering if this is slowing the healing.
    >
    > JT

  9. Vaughn

    Vaughn Guest

    My wife and I call it "May Sting" because it says on the bottle that it may sting, IT DOES, and does
    it until it dries. But it works well on small abrasions,cuts or blisters. I don't think it would do
    very well on road rash.

    Vaughn

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    the

    > > Water won't hurt as long as it's clean. (no germs). Like you state, it
    washes
    > > away the dead cells and lymph fluid. THe pain is from the bare nerve
    endings.
    > > If it's small enough, throw a "Tegaderm" over it when showering, that
    > will keep
    > > the water off the nerve endings. The biggest I've seen is about 4x6
    inches.

    > > Happy healing!
    > >
    > > jw RN milwaukee
    >
    > Speaking of road rash, has anyone tried that Bandaid Liquid bandage? I have seen it advertised,
    > but it's not available here just yet. Great idea, of course, being used for years by medical
    > professionals, but I can see cyclists lining up for it. Probably not good for big patches of road
    > rash, but for smaller ouchies it could probably be great.

  10. "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:AJCya.434
    >
    > > Given the years you've been racing, I'm surprised you haven't latched onto Tegaderm.
    >
    > I rarely crash (I'm a bit of a wimp in pushy situations) and in the falls I've had haven't had
    > road rash since, like, I can't remember. Maybe 1987? Sprained wrist, broken helment (incident with
    > a car -- I would have been deaaddd!!!!!! without my helmet), torn clothes are all I can remember
    > in the recent past.
    >
    > But yeah, I'll try to get some Tegaderm today.

    Most pharmacies have the 2.5 x 2.5" size, but oftentimes us cyclists need the 4 x 4" size (or
    larger) and not many stock it.

    The best place to go is whichever pharmacy supplies your local burn center. Typically, those
    pharmacies will stock it in sizes up to 11x17".

    good luck.

  11. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Vaughn wrote:
    > My wife and I call it "May Sting" because it says on the bottle that it may sting, IT DOES, and
    > does it until it dries.

    ...after which point is just stinks to high heaven. I find the solvent-raw plastic smell wafting
    from the bandage so distracting that the first time I tried it I washed it off an hour later.

  12. In article <[email protected]>, "Kyle Legate"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Vaughn wrote:
    > > My wife and I call it "May Sting" because it says on the bottle that it may sting, IT DOES, and
    > > does it until it dries.
    > >
    > ...after which point is just stinks to high heaven. I find the solvent-raw plastic smell wafting
    > from the bandage so distracting that the first time I tried it I washed it off an hour later.

    Oh yech... I had no idea it smelled.

    I also saw something advertised called "Metaderm", which is supposed to be great for healing things
    like scars, surgery, stretch marks. IT's not like bandaid, but it's supposed to make things heal
    better with less scarring. I can see that going over well with cyclists also. However, I haven't
    seen it around here just yet.

  13. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message [Tegaderm]
    > Most pharmacies have the 2.5 x 2.5" size, but oftentimes us cyclists need the 4 x 4" size (or
    > larger) and not many stock it.

    I just got some 4 x 4" -- ouch, it was $30 for ten...

    Will try it tonight.

    JT

  14. John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message [Tegaderm]
    > > Most pharmacies have the 2.5 x 2.5" size, but oftentimes us cyclists need the 4 x 4" size (or
    > > larger) and not many stock it.

    > I just got some 4 x 4" -- ouch, it was $30 for ten...

    > Will try it tonight.

    Ow. I got a box of 10 3" x 4" Tegaderm patches for $8-10 at the local Longs' Drugs (West Coast
    equivalent of Rite Aid/Walgreens?). It's great stuff. I did find that if you've smeared too much
    Neosporin/polysporin on the rash, the Tegaderm won't adhere as well. It kind of needs a margin of
    clean skin near the outer edge of the bandage. BTW, yet another advantage of Tegaderm is that you
    can put it near a knee or elbow and it won't fall off from repeated flexing.

    I have heard that there is a spray on equivalent, but I also heard that it stings like hell.
    No thanks.

    Ben

  15. Mike Murray

    Mike Murray Guest

    "Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote WRT Tegaderm: "It's great stuff. I did find that if
    you've smeared too much Neosporin/polysporin on the rash, the Tegaderm won't adhere as well. It kind
    of needs a margin of clean skin near the outer edge of the bandage. "

    I would suggest not using any Neosporin, etc. under Tegaderm or any of the other semi-permeable
    dressings. It is not needed, does little to improve wound healing and will make the
    semi-permeable dressing stick less well. I have posted a method for applying these types of
    dressings that works very well and gets more use out of each dressing which decreases the fuss
    and cost. You can find it at:

    http://www.obra.org/wound_care.html

    --
    Mike Murray MD

  16. On 5/21/03 12:45 PM, in article
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message [Tegaderm]
    >> Most pharmacies have the 2.5 x 2.5" size, but oftentimes us cyclists need the 4 x 4" size (or
    >> larger) and not many stock it.
    >
    > I just got some 4 x 4" -- ouch, it was $30 for ten...
    >
    > Will try it tonight.
    >
    > JT

    Speaking of "water on road rash" I wonder what Super Mario's take is on this subject. He was doin
    some cool water skiing on his ass this morning..

  17. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    Probably scrubbed it out with peroxide! <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BAF1762E.4270D%[email protected]...
    > On 5/21/03 12:45 PM, in article
    > [email protected], "John Forrest Tomlinson"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message [Tegaderm]
    > >> Most pharmacies have the 2.5 x 2.5" size, but oftentimes us cyclists need the 4 x 4" size (or
    > >> larger) and not many stock it.
    > >
    > > I just got some 4 x 4" -- ouch, it was $30 for ten...
    > >
    > > Will try it tonight.
    > >
    > > JT
    >
    > Speaking of "water on road rash" I wonder what Super Mario's take is on
    this
    > subject. He was doin some cool water skiing on his ass this morning..

  18. "Mike Murray" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    -clipped stuff-

    > I have posted a method for applying these types of dressings that works very well and gets more
    > use out of each dressing which decreases the fuss and cost. You can find it at:
    >
    > http://www.obra.org/wound_care.html

    Great procedure for using tegaderm; thanks Mike.

  19. Some User

    Some User Guest

    On 21 May 2003 14:20:31 -0800, Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It's great stuff. I did find that if you've smeared too much Neosporin/polysporin on the rash, the
    >Tegaderm won't adhere as well.

    When I took my Wilderness First Responder course, they were clear that you should *not* put
    polysporin directly on any wound, regardless of the dressing. If is designed to kill bacteria, but
    in sufficient quantities, it can apparently kill some healing tissue.

    What they told us was that all you want to do is create a sterile environment, and should put a
    light layer of polysporin on the dressing itself. If you're using a moist dressing (I'm not familiar
    with Tegaderm, but I'm going shopping) that seems unecesary.