water only + add electrolytes (don't be calorie STUPID)

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by foxiecharles, May 27, 2004.

1. foxiecharles

foxiecharles New Member

A young rider rode all day on a recent well know ride that involves 11,000 feet of climbing over the 103 mile course. The road drank gallons of water. He/She did not drink any Gatorade or other sports drink. By the time the cyclists arrived back down the mountain at, he/she collapsed. Their pulse stopped!

The EMS people were able to get him/her going and in 12 minutes a helicopter was there from Asheville. Twelve minutes later he/she was in Mission Memorial.

He/she was in intensive care all night listed as Critical! Thank
    goodness by the next day he/she was back to normal. The condition was caused by exhausting all of his/her electrolytes.

I use a very strong mix of gatorade in one bottle, and sip it with a few gulps of water from the other. On long rides is is usually easier to find water, and a pain to try and carry extra mix.

Has anyone ever used this product?? http://www.ultimareplenisher.com/

Tags:

2. speedyg

speedyg New Member

Foxiecharles,

Never heard of this. Do you know what the Osmolality of their formula is? Should be between 200-220, otherwise a solution that is not in this range is marginal at best.

3. dhk

dhk New Member

Anecdotal stories like this don't prove anything. Electrolyte imbalance can be caused by a lot of things related to long-term illness or diet, not just what you drink on the bike. Also, what works for you on a long ride probably isn't right for me.

I like 1/2 strength Gatorade in one bottle, and plain water in the other. The hotter and longer the ride, the more water I drink in proportion. Straight Gatorade is way too salty/sugary for me for the quantities I drink on long rides: it makes me thirsty, plus my sweat is so salty it stings the eyes.

Today for 55 miles, had my 20 oz bottle of 1/2-strength Gatorade, a 22 oz bottle of water, and bought another full liter of water at the rest stop. Had just a little bit left in both bottles when I got back to the car.

4. Ted B

Ted B New Member

This is called "hyponatremia", and is due to extreme electrolyte loss.

5. sduarte

sduarte New Member

First, You now know why the average age of an endurance cyclist is 45 years old; only youth and inexperience can make this mistake.

Second, only youth would drink gatorade or think to drink gatorade on such a ride.

Third, the "he/she" may be suffering from an identify crisis and intentional tried to end "his / her" life.

6. astaara

astaara New Member

So, what DO YOU recommend?

7. speedyg

speedyg New Member

Speedyg

wrote SPAM

8. closesupport

closesupport Banned

well i use a carb drink with dioralite, The receipe originally came from ironmanOz It is similar to (what's commercially known as) Gu, and is far cheaper. It has been named (rather flippantly) Gu+.

--------------------------

[size=+3]GU+ recipe[/size]

You need
    - Polyjoule or Polycose powder (aka Maltodextrin)
    - Gastrolyte sachets
    - Red cordial (choose your own flavour)
    - water
    - mixing bowl
    - fork/whisk to mix it
    - squeeze tube (or similar) for the gel

Mix about 1.5 cups of polycose/polyjoule, 1 sachet of gastrolyte, and lastly add a generous amount of red cordial (enough to turn the powder into a gel, maybe 1/2 to 1 cup). Mix the ingredients for a minute of so. Depending on the consistency of the gel required, add small amount of water (no more than 1/2 cup) to get a 'runnier' gel.

Gu+ will probably be cloudy when freshly whisked. Importantly, let the gel settle overnight in the fridge in the bowl (with glad wrap over the top) to allow the polycose/polyjoule to dissolve fully. It will turn from a cloudy liquid to a more transparent red consistency.

Decant into squeezy tube before use.

--------------------------

This makes about 6 shots, usually enough for 4 hours of bike or run. Make sure to have plenty of water (not gatorade) with each shot
    so that you can absorb it.

Different people use differnt kinds of re-usable squeezy tubes. The ones I like are the Ultimate brand from Paddy Pallin, comes with a holster that attaches to my waterbelt. It has a top similar to a water bottle. I've also used a small kids juice bottle, and a plastic nalgene bottle with a screwtop lid.