Water soluble replenishments and "ride food"

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Flyingblind9, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Flyingblind9

Flyingblind9 New Member

Hi there, I'm just starting to do more long distance riding, and I need some help on what water based supplements of sorts I should try to keep my electrolyte count high and maintain the proper minerals my body needs to work properly. I've tried Zip Fizz, and that seemed to work phenomenally when backpacking in mid summer, but thats mainly B12 for energy. Recommendations?

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

For electrolyte replacement I use either Nuun tablets or Gu Brew tablets. Both are a lot less sweet than energy drinks, with the Gu being the sweeter of the two. On long rides I also carry an energy drink. I've used Cytomax, Accelerade, Clif Quench, Gatorade, and others. The only one I hated was Accelerade. Of course such energy drinks are pretty sweet, and the sugar level in those drinks can cause stomach issues while riding for some people. On the upside, they provide faster sugar uptake than solid food. On longer rides though--like more than 2 hours or so--you should also consider taking some solid food. Solid food generally provides for longer energy production by including proteins in the ingredients. Energy bars like Powerbars and Clif bars do just that.

3. Flyingblind9

Flyingblind9 New Member

I tried the Nuun tablets yesterday on a power ride over 31 miles or so. I knew it would take about 1:45-2 hours and thats generally the time i start to burn out without replacement. The electrolyte water worked fantastic. Paired with an energy bar i was able to keep my pace after i normally falter. Good stuff. 25-30mph headwind the 15 miles or so back sure as heck gave some validity to replenishment! Excellent recommendation. I like how it's easily available at REI whereas ZipFizz you either have to have a membership to Costco, Sam's Club or buy online and pay shipping.

4. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

When I started using the Nuun tablets, my occasional calf cramping became almost non-existant. In the beginning I wrote it off as lack of fitness or dehydration but after 3 steady months of 120+ miles a week and excessive H2O consumption that reasoning ran pretty thin. In my case I surmise it was the fountains of coffee I like in the afternoon facilitating the removal of much of my bodies delicate salt balance via frequent visits to the urinal. A pre-ride glass of water with a Nuun tablet has pretty much ended high intensity effort seizing. However with zero glycogen replenishment, one will need something else in that endeavor. Another plus... less frequent urination on the tail end of longer rides (maybe I was drinking more in an attempt to mitigate the cramping or the salt is helping me hold on to the fluid in my body. Not sure which but I like the end result).

5. Flyingblind9

Flyingblind9 New Member

Yeah I noticed that as well. Im putting on about 200 miles a week give or take, and as you mentioned danfoz, i used to get calf cramping regularly at the same time every time. I also wrote it off as a lack of fitness because I had just started the season. I went further, faster, and longer with the Nuun tablets the next ride, which was kinda unexpected. I've used zipfizz before backpacking, but this is the first time ive used stuff like this cycling. I noticed as well that i didnt have to urinate quite as often, probably because it is helping with hydration much more.

6. NimbusTim

NimbusTim New Member

I highly recommend you check out the following products from Nimbus Nutrition.

• Poseidon
    • BodyGuard
    • BodyGuard Sugar Free

Any of the above would be a great product to be used on long rides.

A little info about Poseidon

Every once in awhile, a supplement company creates a product so effective with so many benefits, it earns a place in the daily routine of athletes and fitness minded individuals. After years of research, we have created a product we believe will quickly become a staple in the health and fitness industry. Nimbus Nutrition is proud to introduce Poseidonâ„¢.
    Poseidonâ„¢ was created, using Patent Pending Technology, to give the user an increase in performance, not just in the gym, but in every area of life. This cutting edge product offers a host of benefits including; improved strength, endurance, mental acuity, coordination and recovery time. So often we think of a sports nutrition supplement as one that will pack on size and strength and/or help us shed unwanted body fat. While these are worthy goals, they are only pieces of the puzzle. When looking to create a strong, healthy body, one must look at the whole picture.

Consider the fact that the human body is comprised of 70% water. Proper hydration, of every cell, is imperative to performance of any kind. Armed with that knowledge, we asked ourselves, “What if we could create the perfect blend of electrolytes and attach them to other key, strategic and proven effective ingredients…all in effective doses…all that play a role in how we perform everyday?” We speculated that by doing this, not only would each ingredient work synergistically with the other, but the attachment of electrolytes would actually increase the effectiveness of them all. We are no longer speculating. After more than a year of testing, reformulating and testing some more, we are very proud to present a product that truly out performed our wildest expectations. Without further ado, I give you…Poseidon™.

To say Poseidon™ has numerous benefits is a gross understatement. This product was designed to benefit everybody from the Competitive bodybuilder to the stressed out Wall Street Stock Broker. No matter who you are, Poseidon’s Patent Pending Technology will greatly enhance the quality of your life and the way you perform any and all tasks. Here is a brief list of just some of the benefits Poseidon™ offers:

• Increased Hydration
    • Improved Blood Flow
    • Improved Circulation To Extremities
    • Increased, Sustained Energy
    • Improved Mental Focus
    • Boosts Immune System
    • Decreased Muscle Recovery Time
    • Increased Oxygen To Blood And Muscle Cells
    • Improved Vitamin And Mineral Distribution And Absorption
    • Improved Toxin Removal
    • Increased Supplement Absorption
    • Improved Digestion
    • Decreased Body Fat
    • Increased Lean Muscle Mass
    • Increased Strength And Endurance
    • Improved Sleep
    • Improved Skin Tone/Texture

Poseidon™ is the first true Natural Performance Enhancer in every sense of that word. It’s manufactured using Nimbus Nutrition’s Proprietary process which allows it to completely dissolve in liquid. This makes it easy to add it to your bottled water, protein shake, energy drink or anything else you like!

We at Nimbus Nutrition look forward to hearing your results on Poseidon. Please email us an update on how Poseidon™ is working for you or with any questions you may have. Nothing is more rewarding to us than to see the result of our work benefiting our customers. After trying Poseidon™, I firmly believe you will have a new outlook on what it means to truly perform at your best…at those times when…”Performance Is Everything!”.

BodyGuard is Poseidon with the addition of 7g BCAA's, 1.6g Beta-Alanine, & Simple & Sustained Carbohydrates. We also offer BodyGuard Sugar Free which has ZERO sugar.

Check us out on FACEBOOK to find out where you can purchase our products.
    http://www.facebook.com/nimbusnutritionperformance

7. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Thanks for the spam, asshat.

Nitefeatherz likes this.
  8. NimbusTim

NimbusTim New Member

My intentions was not to post spam. I plan on sticking around and being a contributing member to this forum, above and beyond promoting a great product/brand. I'm not hiding my identity, as it clearly shows in the username. We would actually be interested in being a type of board sponsor, as alot of our products fit well with endurance athletes. I'm sorry if you took my post a purely spam. Hopefully you will see there is more to me in the near future.

9. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Prove it.

10. NimbusTim

NimbusTim New Member

I'm fixing to leave the office, but I will make some post over the next day or so linking studies and articles that are used to claim these benefits. A simple look at the ingredients will show that we're not pushing some magical herb that we discovered...and has all the great "benefits". Instead we've put together proven products by combining key ingredients that have been proven and studied over years.I'm not solely here to push Nimbus products, as I will be a contributing member to the forums. In reality I'm just recommending a product that actually works...and would be of good use to endurance athletes.

Until I get back to post studies....take a look at the Supplement Facts Panel for BodyGuard Sugar Free.

[​IMG]

A couple key notes about the formula above....we did not opt to use a cheap, poor oral bioavailabilty B12....instead we used Methylcobalamin and dosed it at 700mcg per serving....that's 11,667%DV. Added to that is all the key electrolyes, proven branch chain amino acids dosed at 7g per serving, and the inclusion of 1.6g beta-alanine to blunt lactic acid build up.

Hopefully yall will give me the time needed to prove myself around here before just chalking me up as an asshat. I will work on getting some product together to send to some people on here to review for themselves.

11. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Poseiden Complex. WTF?

Did someone do a typo and should have put Poseidon?

12. NimbusTim

NimbusTim New Member

Correct, Poseidon Complex is correct.

Poseidon as in God of the Sea......Nimbus as in a cloud that produces precipitation.

Poseidon was our original and main product. Due to the popularity, the Poseidon Complex has made it into a number of our other products.